ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Evo 5 RS
10 seconds is pretty unstable, though lol. Depends what games!

RB uses AVX2 so the current demand is a lot higher than gaming. Intel since introduced an AVX offset to help negate this. You should be able to push to 4.5 4.6 no problem. Temps really help with Skylake, though.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I've got our 6700k running at 4.6GHz with the Corsair H100i V2 AIO. Pretty quiet.

F82 M4
Got our geek room all sorted out now :)

IMG_20170906_194842.jpg

IMG_20170906_194847.jpg

IMG_20170906_194857.jpg

IMG_20170906_194906_1.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
10 seconds is pretty unstable, though lol. Depends what games!

RB uses AVX2 so the current demand is a lot higher than gaming. Intel since introduced an AVX offset to help negate this. You should be able to push to 4.5 4.6 no problem. Temps really help with Skylake, though.
Dropped it to 4.6Ghz and its been playable - no crashes. Though I'm finding the Corsair Link software to be a tad frustrating to use, especially after I applied the update.

It does nothing on its quietest setting - then literally panics and gives you a full fan blast for 3 seconds if you so much as open a command prompt. Balanced is just a constant background noise and Performance requires you to be deaf.

I spent a few minutes when I first got the hybrid coolers, going through custom profiles for the fan speeds over the range of temperatures. Looks like I'll have to do that again!

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Dropped it to 4.6Ghz and its been playable - no crashes. Though I'm finding the Corsair Link software to be a tad frustrating to use, especially after I applied the update.

It does nothing on its quietest setting - then literally panics and gives you a full fan blast for 3 seconds if you so much as open a command prompt. Balanced is just a constant background noise and Performance requires you to be deaf.

I spent a few minutes when I first got the hybrid coolers, going through custom profiles for the fan speeds over the range of temperatures. Looks like I'll have to do that again!

Mine does exactly the same using Corsair Link. I'm going to have a look at using something else as it's a bit intrusive at times.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate, Asus Phoebus :smile:
Speaking of sound cards, just a heads-up for those using onboard audio.

Mine has the headphone amplifier feature like many mobos and sound cards have these days. What isn't immediately apparent is that amplifier is only active when using the front ports on the case - not those on the rear of the PC.

Of course, it does say that in the manual - but who actually reads those......? :tongueout:

Tried it with mine and its just made a world of difference.

Evo 5 RS
I'm only really playing Pube Game (PUBG) and BF1 at the moment really, going back to 1440p 144hz hasn't really hurt me at all, in fact it's a lot better on the competitive side. Only really miss 21:9 for 2d content

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Same here, as much as I jump on something like BF1 for a bit PUBG is definitely my favourite at the moment.

F82 M4
Bought a new TV for my bedroom, 50" Panasonic one and it's lovely. But since moving my PC downstairs I felt like it was missing something. Been looking at PS4's just for a bit of gaming in bed etc but then had the idea of a media PC pending on the price compared to a PS4.

Had a look on ebay and dropped on with a cracking little machine

Intel i5 4670k
Asus Z97I-Plus
8GB Kingston Hyper X Ram
Corsair 500w PSU
250GB Kingston SSD
Corsair 250D
Windows 10

Got it all for £220 :smiley:

Absolute bargain. Just need a nice little GPU that's all

Attachments

• IMG_20170915_182323.jpg
    IMG_20170915_182323.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20170915_182318.jpg
    IMG_20170915_182318.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20170915_182017.jpg
    IMG_20170915_182017.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 51

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Bargain! I love a good used build and for nothing more taxing than gaming you don't need the latest CPU unless you're going got higher refresh rate and resolution.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Evo 5 RS
Bought Dishonored: Death to the outsider over the weekend. Didn't really put it down - about 6 to 8 hours worth depending on how much you explore. Really enjoyed it, may even replay Dishonored 2.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Fellow master race brethren... please recommend me some options for liquid cooling kits. At the moment I am running a Corsair h100i but this looks like it might not be suitable for potential forthcoming upgrades. Hence I am searching for suitable kits that at least offer a CPU water block (not so bothered about cooling the GPU at the moment) and that will play nicely with my current case - Corsair Carbide 540 Air.

The kit should allow me to quickly and easily setup a custom loop (having not done one before) and I can't risk having too much PC downtime - I am reliant on it for a lot of my business activities as well as for fun. Budget isn't too important as cooling isn't something I want to skimp on.

Cheers :)

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Alright people, I thought the issue might be Apple related but I don’t believe it is now.

I’m having trouble watching HD stuff, what I’m getting is a silver / grey frosty screen. I can hear sound but see no video footage. Can’t seem to watch films on iTunes and stuff on Netflix. I can see SD films on iTunes but not HD. When I turn Netflix on it comes up with the frosty screen but when I press the power button on the monitor and turn it on again I can see what’s playing.
I’ve updated the drivers and updates and that but am I missing something? I’ve been in touch with Apple and sent a message to Gigabyte and gave me some ideas but I’ve tried those.

Here’s the link from the apple thread https://www.cliosport.net/threads/itunes-films.811686/

Any help will be appropriate thanks

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Could be some weird HDCP issue with your graphics card and your monitor. I've seen it before where it won't play content with DRM if it decides not to recognise the monitor as HDCP compliant

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Could be some weird HDCP issue with your graphics card and your monitor. I've seen it before where it won't play content with DRM if it decides not to recognise the monitor as HDCP compliant
Had to google what HDCP stands for, don’t know how to resolve if it this. Any way round it like in the settings or something? I am getting the monitor replaced and getting it boxed up tonight. I tried VGA to VGA and it plays ok on Netflix but it won’t play the HD films on iTunes and plays SD films as normal.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@Geddes - I get a weird issue like that sometimes whereby - suddenly - my Netflix or Amazon (U)HD stream will suddenly drop to SD. In fact, I have a three monitor setup and I now have to have all three switched on to be able to watch in HD using one of those services! Some bizarre issue with HDCP / DRM on HD stuff as @Cookie hinted at. I've not found a way around it yet other than keeping all monitors on even when viewing only on one.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...creen-static-when-running-movies-in-netflix-/
Just found this link, I have no monitor at the minute as it’s getting replaced. I’ll have a good read through when I’m off. And get my monitor up and running.

On another note, thinking of upgrading to 4K and looking at the PB287Q 28’’ or the MG28UQ 28’’ both Asus. I have the Intel Core i5-6600 3.30ghz , 2x4gb 2400mhz, would it be ok spec wise to run 4K , not for playing games just for videos and films and streaming?

F82 M4
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...creen-static-when-running-movies-in-netflix-/
Just found this link, I have no monitor at the minute as it’s getting replaced. I’ll have a good read through when I’m off. And get my monitor up and running.

On another note, thinking of upgrading to 4K and looking at the PB287Q 28’’ or the MG28UQ 28’’ both Asus. I have the Intel Core i5-6600 3.30ghz , 2x4gb 2400mhz, would it be ok spec wise to run 4K , not for playing games just for videos and films and streaming?
What GPU?

I have a media PC at the moment streaming to a 4K TV. Handles all video's etc just fine with onboard graphics but capped at 30hz. Doesn't make any difference to films etc though as I believe they're all done at 24fps but still nice on some videos.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member

Seems like a lot of people fixed it by switching the monitor to 120hz down from 144hz. I had the problem on one of my (144hz) monitors but it went away after a reboot

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
What GPU?

I have a media PC at the moment streaming to a 4K TV. Handles all video's etc just fine with onboard graphics but capped at 30hz. Doesn't make any difference to films etc though as I believe they're all done at 24fps but still nice on some videos.
I’ve just got a Nvidia GTX 1050ti 4GB GDDR5, I’d like to watch films and so in and Netflix in 4K, and play PS4 in 4K when I get round to buy the Pro or the next PS5, so need a couple of outputs which has HDMI 2.0 and Display Port 1.2. After looking I think the MG28UQ offers both

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Seems like a lot of people fixed it by switching the monitor to 120hz down from 144hz. I had the problem on one of my (144hz) monitors but it went away after a reboot
I had a very quick look yeah some did lower it, but didn’t cure some people. My current monitor is the PB277 Asus and I has up to 75hz or 60hz. I can’t test anything out yet. Some people mentioned about Silverlight? About uninstalling and reinstalling it

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Decided to pick up another budget gaming PC with older hardware. Tried to buy my old 3750k and sli 970 FTW setup back off my mate but he was having none of it. Managed to get the below for £600 which I was quite happy with

i7 4770 (none K)
GTX 780Ti
16GB RAM
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
Bitfenix case can't remember which, short fat stubby one
Steelseries rival mouse
AOC 24" 1080p 144Hz monitor
Random Advent second monitor
Epson printer with about £100 worth of ink (giving that to the mother as I've zero use for it)

PC was originally built by OCUK and seems alright. Needed something to put in the mancave now I've moved into the new place and I'm pretty happy with it.

Picked up destiny 2 and put a few hours into it. Got some more to go yet until I'm up to level 20. Think after a few hours this weekend I'm level 11. Really enjoying it and loving having a PC again.

Going to treat myself to the new wireless Logitech gaming keyboard and mouse shortly. I've always preferred wireless setups as visible wires are my pet hate but the technology has never been there to get low latency. The Logitech stuff is actually faster response times than wired Razer stuff so I'm quite excited to give it a go.

Need to pick up my dx racing king series chair from my parents to complete the man cave.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Looking to build my self a gaming rig to go along side my dual 27" monitors.

First time building from scratch always been a console freak! I was planning on going full out but realised it would be a bit of a waste of money. Im wanting a white theme to match the desk so specced the following so far:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Graphics: GTX 1070
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Should this be comfortable enough for running most games at 1080p max settings?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
@Arran_
That’s pretty much the spec on mine and it runs everything at 1080p in ultra.

One thing you could change is the PSU, unless you’re planning on going SLi in the future that one is overkill. A decent 550w would suffice.

Edit- just double checked and I’ve got the 650 version of the RMi.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
@Arran_
That’s pretty much the spec on mine and it runs everything at 1080p in ultra.

One thing you could change is the PSU, unless you’re planning on going SLi in the future that one is overkill. A decent 550w would suffice.

Edit- just double checked and I’ve got the 650 version of the RMi.

Perfect,

Cheers guys!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting... (possibly).

Intel announced recently their partnership with AMD to produce the MCM (multi-chip module) that comprises of an Intel Core Processor CPU combined with a discrete GPU (with HBM2 memory) from AMD. Raja Koduri (head tech guy) quits AMD a couple of days ago (following a sabbatical) and, today, Intel announces he is now their Chief Architect for core and visual computing. Intel have hinted they want to compete head to head with nVidia in the GPU domain...

Maybe not so interesting after all. :p

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting... (possibly).

Intel announced recently their partnership with AMD to produce the MCM (multi-chip module) that comprises of an Intel Core Processor CPU combined with a discrete GPU (with HBM2 memory) from AMD. Raja Koduri (head tech guy) quits AMD a couple of days ago (following a sabbatical) and, today, Intel announces he is now their Chief Architect for core and visual computing. Intel have hinted they want to compete head to head with nVidia in the GPU domain...

Maybe not so interesting after all. :tongueout:
That's a big ask of Intel - even with their resources.

Would be superb however, if there was a genuine third option in the GPU face-offs. No longer just AMD and nVidia, but a worthy alternative in the form of Intel.