ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Evo 5 RS
Interesting... (possibly).

Intel announced recently their partnership with AMD to produce the MCM (multi-chip module) that comprises of an Intel Core Processor CPU combined with a discrete GPU (with HBM2 memory) from AMD. Raja Koduri (head tech guy) quits AMD a couple of days ago (following a sabbatical) and, today, Intel announces he is now their Chief Architect for core and visual computing. Intel have hinted they want to compete head to head with nVidia in the GPU domain...

Maybe not so interesting after all. :tongueout:
Mreh, integration is boooo.

Lol, did you see his corp head-shot? Not even a full 24 hours after leaving AMD. He looks happy as **** :smiley:

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Somehow despite my company cutting investment for most things I'm getting a new beast of a cad workstation.
Dual Xeon, 512gb Ram, 14tbs of harddrive and dual Quad p4000s. Happy days!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So my PC did the latest Windows update (It was one of the big ones) and now it won't let me shut it down. I select shutdown and it logs me out and takes me to my log in screen.

Only way I can turn the thing off is with the button. Any ideas?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Got myself some new peripherals thanks to black friday (although I've got to wait for Xmas apparently). I HATE wires, and could obviously never go wireless with mouse or keyboard. But luckily Logitech have genuinely changed the game and brought out wireless mice that have faster response times than wired mice. They used the Razer deathadder as an example. They have now put the same technology in keyboards which has absolutely made my life complete. I'm not a big fan of RGB, I'm a little gutted that they don't backlight the keyboards but I'm guessing that's for battery life. I have the light on in the room all the time anyway so no biggie.

Keyboard is still discounted at £97.99 from £129.99 (Yes they aren't Cherry MX switches but Romer G switches aren't bad at all.)
http://amzn.to/2n5Zvt3

Mouse is now basically full price again at £69.95, I managed to get it for £48.99
http://amzn.to/2Bf8gTH

Headset is still discounted but not as much. I got it for £76 reduced from £139.99
http://amzn.to/2iUhfTO

Really excited to get the desk free of wires. Can't wait to give them a go.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Got myself some new peripherals thanks to black friday (although I've got to wait for Xmas apparently). I HATE wires, and could obviously never go wireless with mouse or keyboard. But luckily Logitech have genuinely changed the game and brought out wireless mice that have faster response times than wired mice. They used the Razer deathadder as an example. They have now put the same technology in keyboards which has absolutely made my life complete. I'm not a big fan of RGB, I'm a little gutted that they don't backlight the keyboards but I'm guessing that's for battery life. I have the light on in the room all the time anyway so no biggie.

Keyboard is still discounted at £97.99 from £129.99 (Yes they aren't Cherry MX switches but Romer G switches aren't bad at all.)
http://amzn.to/2n5Zvt3

Mouse is now basically full price again at £69.95, I managed to get it for £48.99
http://amzn.to/2Bf8gTH

Headset is still discounted but not as much. I got it for £76 reduced from £139.99
http://amzn.to/2iUhfTO

Really excited to get the desk free of wires. Can't wait to give them a go.

How is that even possible (faster via wireless than wire)?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Finally ordered a much smaller case for our PC. The bits will be here tomorrow so will stick up some pics.

Considered getting the 8700K but it's just too expensive still. That and I don't need it's quite silly performance. Opted for another M.2 SSD instead as my new ITX mobo can house 2.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Anyone seen or tried a gaming pc in a server chassis?

I want to put mine in a soundproofed cabinet but not sure if I'm kidding myself that it's a good idea..

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone seen or tried a gaming pc in a server chassis?

I want to put mine in a soundproofed cabinet but not sure if I'm kidding myself that it's a good idea..
Linus Tech Tips did it. I know he's not the most sound person for advice BUT it works and some cool fibre optic cable is what he uses for running his monitor, mouse keyboard etc.

It's worth a quick look just to find out what cable he's using and it's an ideal setup if you've the space for it.

Also a soundproof cabinet would then be airtight pretty much, so you'll have zero airflow surely?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Linus Tech Tips did it. I know he's not the most sound person for advice BUT it works and some cool fibre optic cable is what he uses for running his monitor, mouse keyboard etc.

It's worth a quick look just to find out what cable he's using and it's an ideal setup if you've the space for it.

Also a soundproof cabinet would then be airtight pretty much, so you'll have zero airflow surely?

You'd think that, but the sound proofing comes from extra panels. There is still be decent airflow (I'm assured) but it muffles the noise.

Cable sounds interesting, but also sounds like there would need to be some sort of decoder for everything? I have a zero tolerance policy on lag and latency so would be happy to just run a bundle of cables.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
You'd think that, but the sound proofing comes from extra panels. There is still be decent airflow (I'm assured) but it muffles the noise.

Cable sounds interesting, but also sounds like there would need to be some sort of decoder for everything? I have a zero tolerance policy on lag and latency so would be happy to just run a bundle of cables.
It was usb c thunderbolt so ran everything over it into the monitor which acted as a usb hub.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Managed to get our system swapped over into its new much much smaller case (Fractal Define C Mini) with our new ASUS STRIX Z270G (Micro ATX) motherboard.

Wasn't the most straightforward process. Discovered that my H110i V2 wouldn't fit due to the size of the STRIX 1080Ti. So now rocking a Corsair H80i V2 (Sigle radiator with push pull fans). Will take a pic later but I really do like the small form factor.

Think I'll have to do a fresh install of windows to clear out the old drivers but we are up and running at least.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Difficult to get a good pic but hey:
24964056898_2bee067a1d_b.jpg

Fresh Windows install is complete and now just sorting out my apps. Also need to sort out my fan curves.

Evo 5 RS
Finally ordered a much smaller case for our PC. The bits will be here tomorrow so will stick up some pics.

Considered getting the 8700K but it's just too expensive still. That and I don't need it's quite silly performance. Opted for another M.2 SSD instead as my new ITX mobo can house 2.
Do iiiiiit.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I should have checked my fan settings on my old mobo before swapping everything over. Getting this thing set up perfectly is being a pain.

Evo 5 RS
a5.PNG
I should have checked my fan settings on my old mobo before swapping everything over. Getting this thing set up perfectly is being a pain.
Get an Aquaero 5 or 6. Best money you'll ever spend (although needs watercooling to make the most out of it)

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
Treated myself to a new Keyboard and mouse, as my ASUS Claymore died.

K65 Lux with QuickShift. It's like typing on air, so nice. Corsair have really come far with CUE 2.0, as well. Lighting synced to my VOID headset for visual playback.

Went with the Kone AIMO to replace my Kone Pure. Not 100% sold on it yet, as it's a little cumbersome in comparison for Battlefield, but feels very snug for most other things.

CUE 2.0.PNG

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I’ve got the K65 Lux, quality bit of kit. Goes well with my Sabre mouse and Void headset.

You’re right about CUE 2.0, so much more usable now.

Evo 5 RS
I’ve got the K65 Lux, quality bit of kit. Goes well with my Sabre mouse and Void headset.

You’re right about CUE 2.0, so much more usable now.
Yeah I was impressed. And to boot, it cost me £65 quid. Factory refurb from Corsair at SCAN. Packaged and looks like new. Lucked out a bit.

Evo 5 RS
LOL. Ah yes, the great minds of CS think alike, eh. Word is for those that are interested that the new Version of CUE is pretty ace, has Corsair Link built in. Not something I'd use but still.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You can make your own clever fan controllers for nothing plus a bit of your time (less than £20 in parts).

Mine has an IR pyrometer that points at the back of the GPU and adjusts all 7 case fans accordingly on a curve with upper and lower limits. I leave the CPU alone as the cooler is more than enough to keep that cool and I find it's mostly GPU heat that I get in my PC.

Evo 5 RS
You can make your own clever fan controllers for nothing plus a bit of your time (less than £20 in parts).

Mine has an IR pyrometer that points at the back of the GPU and adjusts all 7 case fans accordingly on a curve with upper and lower limits. I leave the CPU alone as the cooler is more than enough to keep that cool and I find it's mostly GPU heat that I get in my PC.

Sounds like something for pauper air cooled systems. The adjustments possible in AquaSuite are amazing. Although, most of mine work from water temperature.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Sounds like something for pauper air cooled systems. The adjustments possible in AquaSuite are amazing. Although, most of mine work from water temperature.

Depends how you look at it I suppose.

I have no idea what is in AquaSuite, but it's extra software to run whereas my solution is programmed to the board and works as soon as it has power. Infinite configurability too so long as you know the maths.

Yes mine is air cooled, but I hate maintenance and feel annoyed having to vacuum the filters a few times a year so I'd f**king hate having to drain/bleed things.

Evo 5 RS
It can be a pain, but there's an answer for everything. I use quick disconnects so all my components are readily detachable. Use XSPC E6C, doesn't need changing very often at all. Once every 2 years.

Aquasuite doesn't need to run, the service does, though. Don't notice it! The customisation is simply insane, miles ahead of any motherboard fan controls.

Evo 5 RS
I need to buy more USB ports, and a Displayport cable

Bloody Rift

I need to do a first thoughts post at some point. Been having fun though
Not you too? Every f*cker has one before me now :smiley:.

Waiting on the gen 2 stuff next year. Although I did have the DK2 so know just how good it can be

Evo 5 RS
Elite is the tits. I joined up with Delta Squadron and they notify me if there are any wars on in systems lol. Hadn't played in months and got a notification so did my bit, we won the system and I earned about 40 mil in credits.

Tidy. I only do the bounty hunting, though. The hauling and other aspects get boring. I almost fell asleep one time travelling in a big system LOL. I use the ED Head tracking in that game.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Elite is the tits. I joined up with Delta Squadron and they notify me if there are any wars on in systems lol. Hadn't played in months and got a notification so did my bit, we won the system and I earned about 40 mil in credits.

Tidy. I only do the bounty hunting, though. The hauling and other aspects get boring. I almost fell asleep one time travelling in a big system LOL. I use the ED Head tracking in that game.
I try a bit of everything and never really succeed :p Probably need some goals. Atm trying my hand at passenger missions in a Type-6 Transporter. Don't think I've ever had more than 10 mil in cash

Evo 5 RS
It's tough starting out on your own. I had a mate who already had a Fer De Lance which is a fairly powerful ship, helped me grind through in a wing, now I've got a Vulture with some savage beams.

God that sounds so f**king queer. It's ace though :D