ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Evo 5 RS
Get the Lux, dude. See if Scan have any more of the factory refurbs. It's twice as nice. The plastic base on the Strafe used to bug me.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
https://www.nvidia.co.uk/titan/titan-v/

lol, nope!

Need a new workstation card, @SharkyUK :smiley:?

Saw that this morning..... £2,700!

Hmmm, not too bad and I can easily provide my boss with a suitable business justification. Oh, I am the boss! FLOL! :p
As tempting as it is, I think I'll wait for the GDDR6-powered variants (which I am assuming will be along Q2/Q3 next year). I've still got a new motherboard and liquid cooling setup to sort out for the new CPU (when I have time to tear down my 'old' - and very much current - system).

It's good to see they aren't supporting this SLI bo11ocks. Such a fantastic idea but so, so, so difficult and time-consuming to implement properly.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm, not too bad and I can easily provide my boss with a suitable business justification. Oh, I am the boss! FLOL! :tongueout:
As tempting as it is, I think I'll wait for the GDDR6-powered variants (which I am assuming will be along Q2/Q3 next year). I've still got a new motherboard and liquid cooling setup to sort out for the new CPU (when I have time to tear down my 'old' - and very much current - system).

It's good to see they aren't supporting this SLI bo11ocks. Such a fantastic idea but so, so, so difficult and time-consuming to implement properly.
Agree. Burnt my fingers so many times with that. On the very rare occasion it works - it works brilliantly. But then there's the counter-argument of just having a more powerful card to begin with?

Such a shame. Definitely one of those 'could have been so great' technologies - but I don't think its conducive to the card manufacturers bottom line. Imagine how potent something as relatively cheap as four GTX970s could be - if they genuinely shared 25% of the graphics workload each?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Hopefully they’ll bin SLI off completely.

I genuinely don’t think there’s any need for it now. In gaming obviously.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully they’ll bin SLI off completely.

I genuinely don’t think there’s any need for it now. In gaming obviously.

I think the only way SLi will survive is to make clear and better results through the likes of DX12 and the fabled ability to chuck several gfx cards all into one pot and utilise them as one.

However, if the manufacturer of two identical series of cards are struggling to make it work (using traditional SLi) and be appealing to the masses - then the chances of it working well with a mixed bag of cards would be slim indeed.

Obviously people like Andy have a far better understanding of the technicalities of all this, but it would have been nice to have seen some decent uptake on it.

Do four 3-cylinder Ecoboosted engines all spliced together, make an interesting V12 variant? Who knows - but it sounds just as technically difficult. :)

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Oh there is, if it works. VR needs it...

Good point, but I wouldn’t be surprised if in a couple of generations of GPU’s time there will be enough there to power it with a single card. Enough to make it a viable option for the masses anyway.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
90% sure I've buggered one of my Oculus lenses. Taking off the headset yesterday and caught my glasses frame, 2 little scratches. Massively increased the god rays on one side. 400 quid for a weeks use.. nice.

No chance of a replacement lens, it's a complete new unit, but f**k that.

Not my first expensive mistake of the year, definitely the last time I do anything with VR. Going to try and carry on using them, but it's giving me eye strain trying to ignore it

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Packaged up and going to go back to Amazon once it's stopped snowing.. going to feign ignorance, see how far that gets me. Shame as I love the tech, but holy s**t they need to make it way less fragile.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
90% sure I've buggered one of my Oculus lenses. Taking off the headset yesterday and caught my glasses frame, 2 little scratches. Massively increased the god rays on one side. 400 quid for a weeks use.. nice.

No chance of a replacement lens, it's a complete new unit, but f**k that.

Not my first expensive mistake of the year, definitely the last time I do anything with VR. Going to try and carry on using them, but it's giving me eye strain trying to ignore it

You are f**king useless.

Evo 5 RS
LOL, f**k sake man.

Packaged up and going to go back to Amazon once it's stopped snowing.. going to feign ignorance, see how far that gets me. Shame as I love the tech, but holy s**t they need to make it way less fragile.

They'll take it. They simply-don't-care. Few people have been buying £1,800 CPUs and sending back £300 ones in it's place...Dickheads.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
LOL, f**k sake man.

They'll take it. They simply-don't-care. Few people have been buying £1,800 CPUs and sending back £300 ones in it's place...Dickheads.
The tech is awesome, and I was getting used to ignoring the screen door effect, but the slightest smudge on either my glasses or the headset, and the headset has to come off. Playing Elite with Netflix overlaid it was great though

I'm going to buy a nice monitor (because I want three) instead

Can I get anything decent for 400 quid?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hey guys... have any of you successfully cloned a SATA-based SSD boot drive (with operating system on it) to an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD drive? If so, which cloning software did you use?

Basically my C: drive (Samsung 840 Pro, 256GB) needs liberating and I want to clone this to my Samsung 960 Pro M.2 drive, which will become my new bootable C: drive. I am wary because I can't afford too much downtime if things go wrong. At the moment, I have a fair bit of work on and it wouldn't be too good if it failed and I had to spend a few days reinstalling all my apps, dev environment, client files, etc.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Hey guys... have any of you successfully cloned a SATA-based SSD boot drive (with operating system on it) to an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD drive? If so, which cloning software did you use?

Basically my C: drive (Samsung 840 Pro, 256GB) needs liberating and I want to clone this to my Samsung 960 Pro M.2 drive, which will become my new bootable C: drive. I am wary because I can't afford too much downtime if things go wrong. At the moment, I have a fair bit of work on and it wouldn't be too good if it failed and I had to spend a few days reinstalling all my apps, dev environment, client files, etc.
I've used the Samsung software before to move between SSD's

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth

Finding this with my new PSVR. Assumed it must be super strong glass until I read in the manual that glasses and even dust will damage it (assumedly if you wipe ridiculously hard)...
When it's on my face I'm loving it, when it's not I'm panicking about how to clean the f**king thing and play without damaging it.

Then you let people have a go and they rip it off their face when something scary happens...

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Amazon have decided its too much hassle to figure out where my Rift has gone missing so are just going to refund me.. maybe I can get a new monitor before Xmas!

F82 M4
Anyone interested in buying a decent gaming bundle?

i7 4790k
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
8GB Corsair Vengeance
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD

:smile:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone interested in buying a decent gaming bundle?

i7 4790k
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
8GB Corsair Vengeance
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD

[emoji2]
Willing to split? Would potentially take the SSD for the right price.

EDIT: Scratch that - sorry mate. Just been able to bag a bargain through my business account. Good luck with the sale! :)

Last edited:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Amazon refund has now hit my account. Anyone got any stuff I can buy? 😂

After a (probably) 27" monitor, 1440p, 144hz, budget is £400 +/- 50

Don't think I can get G-Sync for this much. I already have 2x 24" screens, so this would be to go in the middle of the three.

If our internal Dell shop actually had decent prices I'd just buy through work, but it doesn't, even with our discount (20%)

Any suggestions?

In the lead so far is this: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-...MI_bC72dmC2AIViuNkCh2RkAZsEAkYASABEgLsIfD_BwE

Have also seen this (on offer): https://www.scan.co.uk/products/28-...-monitor-tn-3840x2160-1ms-100m1-displayport-h but I don't think it'll fit on most 3 monitor arm systems (need to buy one of those too). Also, I don't really think I need 4K with a 1070. It's also 60hz which is for paupers.