ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well it would seem my PC has just completely s**t the bed. Keyboard and mouse don't work at the login screen and I can't get it to reboot into safe mode, or get the BIOS to show up. It blue screened and said "page fault in non paged area" and now I'm not even getting that to come up.

All I tried to do was reinstall Asus AI suite and it appears everything is fucked!

Suggestions welcome before I cart it out into the back garden and set it on fire.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Have you taken the new Spectre / Meltdown Windows fix? It's not compatible (yet) with AI Suite 3 and will cause memory crashes and failures. You will need to await the new version and ensure you have updated BIOS firmware, etc. otherwise you might have issues...

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you taken the new Spectre / Meltdown Windows fix? It's not compatible (yet) with AI Suite 3 and will cause memory crashes and failures. You will need to await the new version and ensure you have updated BIOS firmware, etc. otherwise you might have issues...
I think I probably have (auto updates FTL) and I think that's the issue. I noticed AI Suite wasn't working so thought I'd try and reinstall it...then after the restart it seems like the USB ports just switch off when the logon screen appears.

Didn't realise until afterwards that there was issues with them both lol. Managed to get past POST and sort the BIOS and get it to boot again, but still have the same issue with no USB power on the login screen, so can't actually get logged in to do anything. Same story in safe mode. System restore is getting errors too, which is great!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Whatever this new Fall Update for W10 is, its stopped my 1070 talking to my brand new f**king monitor. f**king piece of s**t Microsoft c***s. Removing/re-adding drivers has had no effect

3 reboots and 2 reinstalls, NOW it decides to be a graphics card again. POS.

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS

Should be a new beta coming at some point this week for AI Suite. Updated UEFI/uCode and ME firmware last week.

iI0A8RL.png

Evo 5 RS
Anyone else tried getting in on a mining pool?
I ran it (Nicehash) on two 1080Ti last night. Potential for £250 a month before leccy. Put my watercooled Strix up at 45C with the TDP untapped to 120%. Never normally breaches 35C lol.

In the meantime, building this for someone lol.

Capture.PNG

BMW M4; S1000 RR
How much after electric though? Clearly there must be a profit (unless there are enough people using more efficient tech) otherwise no one would do it and the foundations of having a blockchain would fall over.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I can't be ar$ed mining... the profits are too small unless you're prepared to go 'big-rig' and wait several months before you even cover the costs of the hardware. :p

Evo 5 RS
I can't be ar$ed mining... the profits are too small unless you're prepared to go 'big-rig' and wait several months before you even cover the costs of the hardware. :tongueout:
Yeah, too long term for me personally :smiley:

How much after electric though? Clearly there must be a profit (unless there are enough people using more efficient tech) otherwise no one would do it and the foundations of having a blockchain would fall over.

I think matey calculated after leccy with 6 of them it would be circ 25k a year. Of course this does fluctuate. Pool mining only allows if there's demand.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Still not managed to get my PC working again after that update broke it 😞 Won't boot using a recovery disc, system restore doesn't work (tells me something about having to select an OS now, think it's because I disconnected and reconnected my drives to rule things out), and 9/10 times going into any sort of recovery menus I still get a lovely BSOD with "page fault in unpaged area" coming up.

I think my only option now is to boot windows from a second bootable drive, and work my way into the filesystem on my SSD and delete things to try and get it working again...only problem being I don't know what to delete or replace! I'm assuming I'll need to clear out something like the registry entries for AI Suite if that's what's causing the problems. Not sure what else really. Delete the program too and hope for the best...

Really don't want to have to reinstall windows and lose everything but it's the only option I can think of if this doesn't work.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Still not managed to get my PC working again after that update broke it 😞 Won't boot using a recovery disc, system restore doesn't work (tells me something about having to select an OS now, think it's because I disconnected and reconnected my drives to rule things out), and 9/10 times going into any sort of recovery menus I still get a lovely BSOD with "page fault in unpaged area" coming up.

I think my only option now is to boot windows from a second bootable drive, and work my way into the filesystem on my SSD and delete things to try and get it working again...only problem being I don't know what to delete or replace! I'm assuming I'll need to clear out something like the registry entries for AI Suite if that's what's causing the problems. Not sure what else really. Delete the program too and hope for the best...

Really don't want to have to reinstall windows and lose everything but it's the only option I can think of if this doesn't work.
Sorry to hear that mate. As much as you don't want to hear it, I think the best option is to start fresh. Trying to retro-fix Windows issues like these is a real pain in the ass and usually ends up with more heartache and frustration. Trying to cherry-pick items to delete in terms of apps, registry entries, services, etc. is a bit of a minefield.

If you want to continue trying for a bit longer then you have to be aware that the problem could be software or hardware related - for example, faulty RAM modules could cause such problems. This link details the checks that I would personally run through before throwing in the gauntlet (but it assumes you are able to get into Windows now and again so that you can actually try the measures).

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3128626/fix-windows-error-page-fault-nonpaged-area.html

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry to hear that mate. As much as you don't want to hear it, I think the best option is to start fresh. Trying to retro-fix Windows issues like these is a real pain in the ass and usually ends up with more heartache and frustration. Trying to cherry-pick items to delete in terms of apps, registry entries, services, etc. is a bit of a minefield.

If you want to continue trying for a bit longer then you have to be aware that the problem could be software or hardware related - for example, faulty RAM modules could cause such problems. This link details the checks that I would personally run through before throwing in the gauntlet (but it assumes you are able to get into Windows now and again so that you can actually try the measures).

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3128626/fix-windows-error-page-fault-nonpaged-area.html
Thanks for that mate, I think I maybe found that link at some point through my googling, but as you say the problem is I can't get it to boot up in the first place to try those options... I managed to get into a command prompt window in the recovery menu to try check disk, but it wouldn't work. Not sure if my syntax was wrong (was following a guide I found) but it wouldn't seem to find the drive to check it.

So far I've tried removing and switching RAM around, and also only using one module, but I'll give it a go with some older RAM I have sitting around to rule it out. The mobo has lights that show if it's discovered any errors with any components during POST and none show up...so there's nothing seeming to point towards an obvious hardware error.

I'm convinced the error has to be to do with AI Suite, but I'm also pretty sure that just deleting it out of program files (if I can get into the drive from another PC) won't work will it? As all the registry files and what not are still there to be causing whatever conflicts and issues.

If I need to do a full reinstall then so be it. I've been considering it for a while actually just to have a fresh system again, but I'm just too lazy to bother backing necessary things up! All my documents and user data is on my HDD anyway, so it's only programs I'll lose but it's such a hassle reinstalling everything if I can avoid doing it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm convinced the error has to be to do with AI Suite, but I'm also pretty sure that just deleting it out of program files (if I can get into the drive from another PC) won't work will it? As all the registry files and what not are still there to be causing whatever conflicts and issues.

If I need to do a full reinstall then so be it. I've been considering it for a while actually just to have a fresh system again, but I'm just too lazy to bother backing necessary things up! All my documents and user data is on my HDD anyway, so it's only programs I'll lose but it's such a hassle reinstalling everything if I can avoid doing it.
Unless you can delete it 'properly' using the software's associated uninstaller then I'd be a bit wary just trying to delete it manually. It could make things worse - there's no easy way of telling what AI Suite is hooked into and whether or not you can guarantee manually deleting references to those hooks.

Have you tried running 'msconfig' on those occasions you have been able to get into Windows? From there you can specify various safe-mode boot options, etc. I was wondering if you could get into msconfig and then alter the settings so that you are literally running a barebones Windows with no/limited drivers, etc. and then see what happens... no guarantees though I'm afraid mate!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Unless you can delete it 'properly' using the software's associated uninstaller then I'd be a bit wary just trying to delete it manually. It could make things worse - there's no easy way of telling what AI Suite is hooked into and whether or not you can guarantee manually deleting references to those hooks.

Have you tried running 'msconfig' on those occasions you have been able to get into Windows? From there you can specify various safe-mode boot options, etc. I was wondering if you could get into msconfig and then alter the settings so that you are literally running a barebones Windows with no/limited drivers, etc. and then see what happens... no guarantees though I'm afraid mate!
Yeah maybe not the best option then if it could make things worse! Although probably worth having a go as a last resort before a clean install lol.

I can't get into Windows at all mate, I get to the login screen and none of my peripherals work so I have no way of actually logging in and doing anything. I think that's the frustrating thing. Windows itself is booting up OK to the login screen, then it just doesn't work after that. Keyboard and mouse work fine while in the BIOS settings, and also on the recovery options bit that shows up after windows fails to boot 3 times (use the trick of resetting while windows is loading to get myself into that), but once it's past that and the login screen comes up, I just have no inputs at all. It's not frozen either as the clock and date still tick over on that screen... I'm absolutely lost with it!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I've been having a issue on my new ish pc on start up. When i press the power button on the desktop, normally with in a few secs it should boot up and i'll get the desktop wallpaper but 85% of the time i don't.
For quit some time now when i press the power button the lights on the desktop will light up up but the screen goes blanc and after a few minutes my wallpaper will show up.
Any ideas what the issue is?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Here's a video i've just done to show you what's happening. It's about 4 mins long. It does this nearly everytime i start up my pc. Getting very irritated now

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
@Geddes my pc was doing this a while ago, turned out to be an issue with an update somewhere along the line.

I’m pretty sure it was gpu driver related.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Does anyone know if I can recover my windows apps and games which are stored on my D drive (HDD) after reinstalling Windows on my C drive (SSD), and if so, how?

I have the usual setup of SSD with Windows and some important apps on it, and a HDD with all my documents and steam/origin/windows games etc on there. I've had to reinstall Windows on my SSD, and everything else is all working fine, with steam and origin downloaded, and they're finding all my original game installs on the HDD. Windows Store however just refuses to find anything. The "Windows apps" folder is there on my HDD and there's 326Gb in it according to storage settings in the control panel, but it doesn't show anything and Windows won't show any of my games up. Are these recoverable, or am I going to have to just redownload all these again?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I’d imagine the apps were tied to the registry files on your old install of windows. I’d try downloading them to the second drive again and it may just skip what it doesn’t need.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Does a bear s**t in the woods?
What are you running atm? I struggle to keep up

I kinda regret getting my X34 when I did, it really needs a better card attached to it than my 1070. No interest in a 900 quid 1080ti though so waiting to see if they launch anything else this year

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
My 1070 is really struggling with literally everything @ 3440x1440. Might keep an eye out once I've been paid for a second hand 1080Ti, frame drops aren't fun

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
GPU prices are crazy right now. Absolutely crazy. GTX 1060's should not be costing near on 350-400 quid. Of course, it's good for secondhand resale values... :tongueout:

EDIT: Bring on Ampere!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I wonder if we'll actually see whatever the f**k nvidia's new cards are in April.. I've had my 1070 since June 2016, feels like it was less time than that

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Graphics card market is insane ATM. I can’t remember a time when it made more sense to get one of the first wave of “founders edition” cards or whatever direct from nVidia than wait for the aftermarket because the prices are now so inflated. Bloody miners :D

Still rocking my GTX970, fancy a 1070 or 1080 at some point but not with prices like this, the gains are just too small for the upgrade cost given I’m not running a 4K monitor.

At some point I’ll have to upgrade my whole system, it’s over five years old now. My overclocked i5 is still holding it’s own though :)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Graphics card market is insane ATM. I can’t remember a time when it made more sense to get one of the first wave of “founders edition” cards or whatever direct from nVidia than wait for the aftermarket because the prices are now so inflated. Bloody miners :smiley:

Still rocking my GTX970, fancy a 1070 or 1080 at some point but not with prices like this, the gains are just too small for the upgrade cost given I’m not running a 4K monitor.

At some point I’ll have to upgrade my whole system, it’s over five years old now. My overclocked i5 is still holding it’s own though :smile:
My 1070 will no doubt be for sale whenever I buy whatever @Silent_Scone tries to sell me (won't be for sale at mental price gouging price either, f**k that noise)

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I’m only running 2560x1440 so in all honesty anything better than a 1070 will just be wasted on stupid high frame rates that I personally can’t perceive anyway.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I want one of those EVGA hybrid cards. Will just get the next flagship when it comes out as Ive made do with my 980ti for a few years now so another 6 months won't kill me.