ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Too many hardware changes has caused Windows to s**t itself over the licence.

Handy I still have the Windows 7 Ultimate key I used to convert it to W10 Pro

Evo 5 RS
The BIOS on this motherboard is an irritating puddle of piss. Just going to leave it sat at 4ghz, can't find any combination of buttons that will let me change the voltages for the CPU. Probably best if I don't touch anything.

It's a piece of piss to navigate compared to other BIOS lol. I told you what settings to change!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Just installed Warframe, I know @Darren S plays it a lot, I had previously that it was mostly PvP based.. seems its mostly PvE

Played a few hours and a bit lost now, need to find a guide

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Just installed Warframe, I know @Darren S plays it a lot, I had previously that it was mostly PvP based.. seems its mostly PvE

I've tried and tried to get into it but just can't. And the control system still annoys me even though I got used to it after a few million years... :p

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Yep - you need patience of a saint to get Warframe working with K&M. It's the only game I have where I've taken screenshots of the current mappings in order to re-input them, if and when I do a reformat.

The bigger issue is that the game forces you to assign keys to s**t that you never use. I never block. I never using channelling. I use quick melee for 99% of the time rather than standard melee - the list goes on. I set these to the far flung corners of my keyboard in order to stop them fouling anything useful!

When you get it it right though - it just works. All other FPS's feel sluggish in comparison - and being predominately a PvE game, you're not hampered by hit detection and glitching as you do with PvP. Probably one of the main reasons why I still play it - along with the fact that it is still very much updated and supported.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A good friend of mine keeps trying to get me up and running on Warframe. He said you probably need a good 30 hours invested in it before you start to 'get it'... but once the parkour skills, etc. become second-nature then you're laughing. Apparently. Talking of Destiny (well, Destiny 2) - had a quick play on the beta last night and it seems pretty cool.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
A good friend of mine keeps trying to get me up and running on Warframe. He said you probably need a good 30 hours invested in it before you start to 'get it'... but once the parkour skills, etc. become second-nature then you're laughing. Apparently. Talking of Destiny (well, Destiny 2) - had a quick play on the beta last night and it seems pretty cool.
I'd probably agree with that, Andy. I tried it initially and hated it - mainly due to the difficulty in getting a decent setup with K&M as mentioned previously. Then a few things 'clicked' with me and the majority of it started to make sense. Now I'm nearly 660 hours in and still login every day to receive the daily bonus - lol. I'm currently a few days short of the Day 500 reward.

The main pull for me is the co-op PvE aspect of the game - especially when you have another three players onboard who like to help out and pick beneficial kit and Warframes. The other is the fact that I can find myself doing something new for the first time - even after all those hours. Just at the weekend, I was on a co-op level with @Cookie and mentioned that the part of the game we were currently on, I had never done before. Even now, there are plenty of sections, levels and map areas that I know I have never been to.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I've got my initial warframe to rank 30 now, need to try and work out how to get another one. Building and experimenting with weapons is fun. Also worked out how to upgrade mods to make them better

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've got my initial warframe to rank 30 now, need to try and work out how to get another one. Building and experimenting with weapons is fun. Also worked out how to upgrade mods to make them better
You'll need an Orokin Reactor if you haven't got one already - to double up the amount of points available to mod your Warframe....

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Orokin_Reactor

Also, now that your Warframe is Rank 30 now, you can polarise a slot to make it more potent...

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Polarization

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'd probably agree with that, Andy. I tried it initially and hated it - mainly due to the difficulty in getting a decent setup with K&M as mentioned previously. Then a few things 'clicked' with me and the majority of it started to make sense. Now I'm nearly 660 hours in and still login every day to receive the daily bonus - lol. I'm currently a few days short of the Day 500 reward.

The main pull for me is the co-op PvE aspect of the game - especially when you have another three players onboard who like to help out and pick beneficial kit and Warframes. The other is the fact that I can find myself doing something new for the first time - even after all those hours. Just at the weekend, I was on a co-op level with @Cookie and mentioned that the part of the game we were currently on, I had never done before. Even now, there are plenty of sections, levels and map areas that I know I have never been to.
I need to give it another go and to stick with it I think. Once I've cleared my current backlog of games... I know of several gamers in work who absolutely love and live this game and it's incredibly successful as well; you only have to spend a moment searching on the 'Net to realise just how popular it is.

That's another aspect of the game I haven't 'got' yet. As I've not really been able to get into the game I don't really know what I'm doing in terms of upgrades and mods. It just looks like some sort of Top Trumps game and my high-levels of frustration turned me off rather than investing time to actually figure out what I was looking at and how it worked. I'm sure it's nowhere near as complicated as I perceive it to be :p

Just bought a new chiller, 750W, my OC Guide was posted on ROG earlier in the month too :smiley:

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/asus-strix-1080ti-overclocking-overview/
Great article mate. Maybe you do know what you're on about after all... :p ;)

I haven't blown anything up in a week
Result mate! :p

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Sure you haven't broken the screen again? :tongueout:
FLOL! Kettle. Black. Pot. The screens are all working wonderfully now thanks! Just a problem with cabling. I hope. :p

Who knows. They're a minefield. Just get anything that's DP1.3 and not ridiculous in length. Should work. Maybe. lol
It seems to be a bit of a minefield so I've just ordered a couple of Amazon Basics range as per @Gareth mentioned. 1.8m and VESA certified so should be ok. Maybe.

Just ordered a 6GB GTX1060, hopefully it fits, few videos on YouTube seem to think so and the card itself is a normal shape, struggled to find a 1050 with a blower. May have to re-route the power cables to run under the card instead of around the end, hopefully see tomorrow.

On the subject of power cables, my current card has 12 pins? 2x6 blocks. Guessing I just use one on this one but does it matter which one?
620ddb30950b6f6d7c0bc844d0d85cb0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Just ordered a 6GB GTX1060, hopefully it fits, few videos on YouTube seem to think so and the card itself is a normal shape, struggled to find a 1050 with a blower. May have to re-route the power cables to run under the card instead of around the end, hopefully see tomorrow.

On the subject of power cables, my current card has 12 pins? 2x6 blocks. Guessing I just use one on this one but does it matter which one?
620ddb30950b6f6d7c0bc844d0d85cb0.jpg

Nope, shouldn't matter

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Warframe is annoying me. You have to find these fragment things before you can progress, allegedly one on every mission on Mars.. I've spent maybe 2 -3 hours on various missions and found absolutely nothing. There are mods that make them easier to spot, but getting one of those is random, and one of them you get AFTER you've already found these. Frustrating pointless f**king gatekeeping

It fits!!!!! Microsoft threw it's toys out of the pram after stripping the case to remove a fan. Need to download everything again :(

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Warframe is annoying me. You have to find these fragment things before you can progress, allegedly one on every mission on Mars.. I've spent maybe 2 -3 hours on various missions and found absolutely nothing. There are mods that make them easier to spot, but getting one of those is random, and one of them you get AFTER you've already found these. Frustrating pointless f**king gatekeeping
Lol - it can be. I needed several nitain extracts to build a frame not long back. Took me a while to get the last two - I simply switched to different types of missions and went after something else. Got there eventually.

One weakness of this game is the archwing game mode. I think they tried to emulate the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter gameplay of old, but it's just flat and bland and quite unpopular. As a consequence, while my Warframes are useful in normal mode, when used in archwing mode - they are really weak. I had to ask on the chat rooms for help on one mission as I couldn't even make it halfway.

Evo 5 RS

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Anyone played the fan remake of Tomb Raider 2? Its not the full game but turn everything up to Ultra on 1440P and it look spectacular. Brings back the memories of Christmas day way back when I got it for my PS1.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone played the fan remake of Tomb Raider 2? Its not the full game but turn everything up to Ultra on 1440P and it look spectacular. Brings back the memories of Christmas day way back when I got it for my PS1.
Yes mate - it's shaping up nicely. I grabbed some video footage from it last night but haven't got time to do anything with it yet!

Evo 5 RS
Yes mate - it's shaping up nicely. I grabbed some video footage from it last night but haven't got time to do anything with it yet!

Yeah, nostalgia overload. Played the original on PC (Pentium 75) at 340x480 in software rendering, and the 2nd game, too.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
What are you running the core frequency at currently? Just 4.2? Try 46 ratio at 1.25v and run Realbench 2.4 for an hour, allocating all available memory. Vicarious overclocking is never the best, but it 's a start.
Yep - just 4.2 at the minute. Temp wise it should hopefully cope with that clock given that its sat under a Corsair H115i.

Cheers.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
What are you running the core frequency at currently? Just 4.2? Try 46 ratio at 1.25v and run Realbench 2.4 for an hour, allocating all available memory. Vicarious overclocking is never the best, but it 's a start.
Just going to try Realbench. Tried it at a ratio of 48 and the PC was stable playing Warframe.

See how it does under the bench test....

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Flol - Realbench locked my PC in ten seconds flat. CPU core temps got to low 80s and then it froze.

I know that the Corsair Link software was set to be very silent/restrictive. Also, there's a thermal ceiling rating in the BIOS currently set to mid 80s C - so again, that made sense.

I'll have a dabble with these, but not too much. I'd rather have a 4Ghz PC running quietly than a 4.8Ghz one sounding like a wind tunnel.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Flol - Realbench locked my PC in ten seconds flat. CPU core temps got to low 80s and then it froze.

I know that the Corsair Link software was set to be very silent/restrictive. Also, there's a thermal ceiling rating in the BIOS currently set to mid 80s C - so again, that made sense.

I'll have a dabble with these, but not too much. I'd rather have a 4Ghz PC running quietly than a 4.8Ghz one sounding like a wind tunnel.
It's why I've left mine at 4.1