ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Had a look inside and no cables to be seen for the gfx card. Does this mean I need to purchase additional cables or does the card come with the cables?

When I've looked at the card I'm buying on the website it looks like just a push in pci e- bus?

Had a look inside and no cables to be seen for the gfx card. Does this mean I need to purchase additional cables or does the card come with the cables?

When I've looked at the card I'm buying on the website it looks like just a push in pci e- bus?
I'd say be prepared to get new PSU.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

It draws the required power directly through the PCI-e bus - no additional power connectors are needed. As long as your PSU is rated at 300W or greater then you shouldn't have any problems.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
It draws the required power directly through the PCI-e bus - no additional power connectors are needed. As long as your PSU is rated at 300W or greater then you shouldn't have any problems.
I've looked at my spec, I've got a Corsair CX 430W V2 80 plus bronze Power Supply

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone signed up to the yearly EA Origin thing? Pay £20 a year and get access to some of their games old and relatively new, see that BF1 and Titanfall 2 are now included so thinking might be worth it to give those a bash.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Installed Dark Souls I again after not playing for 5 years. Remember why I never played it more than a few hours, utterly infuriating game with a s**t PC port, even with the DSFix mod thing

F82 M4
Anyone signed up to the yearly EA Origin thing? Pay £20 a year and get access to some of their games old and relatively new, see that BF1 and Titanfall 2 are now included so thinking might be worth it to give those a bash.

Worth it for Titanfall 2's campaign alone. Great that was!

Evo 5 RS
Installed Dark Souls I again after not playing for 5 years. Remember why I never played it more than a few hours, utterly infuriating game with a s**t PC port, even with the DSFix mod thing

Got about 3/4 of the way through the first one. Got stuck in a clock tower and got bored lol.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Titanfall 2 is amaaaazing, I bought it when it was on a sale, great single player

Are the NVMe M.2 drives worth it over a normal SATA SSD? In the market for something 500gig sized

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
For the price is this a decent card? Struggling to find anything good to replace my gtx670. It's going into an alienware x51 so I've got to be a bit cautious with size.
http://www.ebuyer.com/762683-palit-...-hdmi-displayport-graphics-ne5105t018g1-1070f
It very much depends on what you want it got. As you are putting it into and Alienware x51 I'm assuming it's for a gaming setup. In that case, it's an OK card. You won't be able to play the latest titles with all the bells and whistles enabled if you want to maintain playable frame rates. You also won't be able to drive games at 4K resolutions. You'd very much be limiting yourself to the 1080p domain (which is no bad thing). You'd have to be prepared to play with settings to find a balance that suits you.

I don't think there's much room in the chassis so it might be worth seeing if you can fit a blower type card in there. I'm not sure how the fan would affect air-flow and cooling given the fact it doesn't really have anywhere to fan away the heat from the card surface... worth spending some time looking on forums mate to see if anyone else has a solution that works.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I ran CrystalDiskMark earlier to see what sort of read/write speeds I got out of my current disks.

The SSD (a five year old 128gig 830 Evo) gets 230MB/read, and the two 2TB 7.2krpm drives are about half that. Seems that the newer normal SATA SSD's are 500+ mb/read so that'll be a decent improvement just from that. The 960 Evo NVMe thing seems to be 3500MB/read which is mental.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I've got a 500GB 850 EVO as my boot drive and it's spot on. As you say, any faster would be crazy fast but I don't think I would benefit from it tbh.

It very much depends on what you want it got. As you are putting it into and Alienware x51 I'm assuming it's for a gaming setup. In that case, it's an OK card. You won't be able to play the latest titles with all the bells and whistles enabled if you want to maintain playable frame rates. You also won't be able to drive games at 4K resolutions. You'd very much be limiting yourself to the 1080p domain (which is no bad thing). You'd have to be prepared to play with settings to find a balance that suits you.

I don't think there's much room in the chassis so it might be worth seeing if you can fit a blower type card in there. I'm not sure how the fan would affect air-flow and cooling given the fact it doesn't really have anywhere to fan away the heat from the card surface... worth spending some time looking on forums mate to see if anyone else has a solution that works.
most of the solutions i have seen are mainly people chasing 4K, Im not in a hurry to get a 4K display yet so 1080 is fine for me.
Airflow is not terrible, its also not that great either, just looking to push a bit more out of GTA, Do you know of any blower type 1050?
here are screenshots of my GTA settings, would like to make them all high. Still not to bad for a nearly 5 year old pc
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044195574/screenshots/

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Titanfall 2 is amaaaazing, I bought it when it was on a sale, great single player

Are the NVMe M.2 drives worth it over a normal SATA SSD? In the market for something 500gig sized

Cool might give it a try for a year then, plenty of stuff listed there that'd keep me occupied :)
When I started buying bits for my new machine could see prices were heading up on SSDs and ram so picked those up early, got one of the Samsung 500 gig nvme drives for decent money and it really flies.
Just need to get a 1Tb 'normal' SSD for storage now

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
To get the full benefit of the silly speeds that's probably right, but still feels snappier than a few laptops we have here with sata SSDs.
Only drive I've got at the moment so running everything off it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
The internet seems to suggest the NVMe ones aren't really worth it unless you're transferring files between two of them
Hmm, I'd disagree with that... although I guess it depends on what you're using it for. I've noticed a massive difference. Compile times have tumbled down on large projects and, yeah, it's great for shifting a lot of files around where each file is typically several GB's in size. It's also great for video editing and similar where large chunks of data are often paged to/from disc.

I don't know what the difference is like purely for gaming though as I don't run games off it. I think it's definitely worth it if you're using your PC for heavy-lifting productivity-wise, maybe not so much for gaming.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
So, given that I've already probably broken the pins on the socket (Sorry @Silent_Scone), and the CPU might be dead, what shall I do? (top side of the middle bit of the socket)
27zixj4.jpg

Board is X99 Deluxe II, chip is 6850K. I have now useless 16gb DDR4 and a cooler. I should probably buy a replacement CPU and motherboard

Board also wasn't posting before I managed to get fluff caught in the pins, so who knows how I managed to damage it

Didn't seem to be a PSU (working in the machine I rebuilt at midnight) issue and RAM made no odds.

The 00 code on the mobo display, and the red CPU POST light seem to confirm it's CPU related (at least that's what internet says)

I may just have to buy something else, maybe I'll f**k up less with AMD

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
What's wrong with the CPU? All I can see is some pins on the MoBo which you can probably straighten out if you're really careful. I've had success with it a few times.

You've got a slightly bent one if you follow the row up from the middle bit you've fucked too.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
What's wrong with the CPU? All I can see is some pins on the MoBo which you can probably straighten out if you're really careful. I've had success with it a few times.

You've got a slightly bent one if you follow the row up from the middle bit you've fucked too.
The board didn't POST *before* I'd done that

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Pins were straight before I took the CPU out, got some tissue paper :)/) stuck in the pins and then bungled getting it out because I have run out of compressed air

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Not checked if AMD's latest CPU offerings are the same, but I always preferred their logic of having the pins on the CPU - and not on the motherboard. Seemed (to me anyway) to be far less risky during the install process - it simply dropped into the slot and you knew all the pins were safely home.

Oh, and if you want some sympathy - I did exactly the same on my old LGA1366 mobo, one time when I removed the CPU. It's so easy to do, though luckily I managed to coax back the pins to a working state with a lot of patience, some TLC and plenty of "f**k, f**k, f**k!" mumblings, under my breath.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Not checked if AMD's latest CPU offerings are the same, but I always preferred their logic of having the pins on the CPU - and not on the motherboard. Seemed (to me anyway) to be far less risky during the install process - it simply dropped into the slot and you knew all the pins were safely home.

Oh, and if you want some sympathy - I did exactly the same on my old LGA1366 mobo, one time when I removed the CPU. It's so easy to do, though luckily I managed to coax back the pins to a working state with a lot of patience, some TLC and plenty of "f**k, f**k, f**k!" mumblings, under my breath.
They are PGA apart from threadripper which is now LGA.

I personally prefer LGA. I'd sooner bork a MoBo than a CPU.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
They are PGA apart from threadripper which is now LGA.

I personally prefer LGA. I'd sooner bork a MoBo than a CPU.
Depends. I always spend more on the mobo as I factor in replacing the CPU (i.e. eBay purchase!) over the life of the system anyway. Sod spending nearly £1k on a part that you pickup for a fraction of the price a few years later.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
New board in, CPU seems happy.

Let the Asus overclocking tool play about, seems to have settled on 4.1Ghz. What was the CPU running under water @Silent_Scone ?

Idle is about 38-40C with this Noctua thing, not sure if that's too high. May have to re-do the TIM

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
The BIOS on this motherboard is an irritating puddle of piss. Just going to leave it sat at 4ghz, can't find any combination of buttons that will let me change the voltages for the CPU. Probably best if I don't touch anything.