ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Chris Harris thread

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Regardless of the cars, I thought that was Harris' weakest video in a while. Didn't come across that much effort was put into it.

Agree 100%. 4 minutes of drag race, then 1 minute of where i felt Chris wasn't really being particularly honest, a bit corporate if you will, the clio is lovely, nice & soft for the road, blah blah blah. Then 3 minutes of the Cup Racer, because he ran out of nice things to say about the 200. For me, i think it will improve, in the same way that the 197 did, but the looks are dreadful, ive had my last RenaultSport now i think.

I watched the F40 again & reminded myself why a manual gearbox is the only way to drive.

Last edited:
  Swift Sport
Agree 100%. 4 minutes of drag race, then 1 minute of where i felt Chris wasn't really being particularly honest, a bit corporate if you will, the clio is lovely, nice & soft for the road, blah blah blah. Then 3 minutes of the Cup Racer, because he ran out of nice things to say about the 200. For me, i think it will improve, in the same way that the 197 did, but the looks are dreadful, ive had my last RenaultSport now i think.

I watched the F40 again & reminded myself why a manual gearbox is the only way to drive.

After watching the video again I agree with this, especially when he cut the track testing out because he's already done it. And claiming that drag races matter when they don't really, especially when it comes to hot hatches.

Pretty surprised there wasn't a lap time comparison. Although it would never be a single factor in buying a car, it's the bread and butter of performance car comparison tests.

Seemed to play out like Renault wouldn't let him, which I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Stig lapped top gear track slightly faster in the clio compared to fiesta.

Possibly be pretty even with mountune package but end of the day, I never see why 1 second difference over a lap really matters.

The difference in performance is so marginal its pointless trying to figure which is better as different scenarios will have different results no doubt.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
But, but lap times are everything! Those 10ths are everything!!!

Not the best video I've seen from Chris, I was least expecting the 208 GTi. To make an appearance. Where was the track battle he normally does at Llandow and then the B-Road driving he normally does.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thing is though, if the content of the video is questionable then maybe Chris Harris's opinion is too?

It's just his opinion mate, people who take it as gospel and buy cars totally based on other people's opinion, some of which can be affected by manufacturers is just silly.

I'm not saying Harris is, but at times, I doubt he can say everything he would want to.

Who knows, wouldn't let it play on your mind too much though.

1 second difference round a track is f**k all in the real world.

Dont worry Im not gonna lose sleep over it. I too don't really care about lap times. However, IMO they are conspicuous by their absence in this comparison test. The video plays out like its been influenced. I'm not alone in thinking this. Again, I don't really care. Just an observation.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You do really Roy. You love a good KFC carpark lap time!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
The video plays out like its been influenced.

"Hi, is that Chris Harris?"
"Its Renault here, we know you love FWD race cars, how would you like to drive the new Cup Racer?"
"Oh, yes please, that would be ace!!"
"Ok cool, you can have a play for a couple of hours at Stow"

2 months later, Chris arrives at Stow:

"Hi Chris, you can only drive the Cup Racer if you tell the world that the 200T isnt sh1t, we've left a travel bag on the drivers seat of the Racer, its got £10k in it. Enjoy the drive"
"FFS, Renault are the new Ferrari, still its £10k towards my F40 finance deposit"

Evo 5 RS
Dont worry Im not gonna lose sleep over it. I too don't really care about lap times. However, IMO they are conspicuous by their absence in this comparison test. The video plays out like its been influenced. I'm not alone in thinking this. Again, I don't really care. Just an observation.

Happens all the time though doesn't it. Do you not remember recently the journalist who spoke out at just how "what we say goes or no press cars for you" Ferrari were? Anyone would be mad to purchase a car based on one man/womanz opinion. Test drive that s**t, yo.

"Hi, Renault? Yeah, the 200T is a bit ropey. Don't like it. Got anything else?..H..Hello?"

"Hi, is that Chris Harris?"
"Its Renault here, we know you love FWD race cars, how would you like to drive the new Cup Racer?"
"Oh, yes please, that would be ace!!"
"Ok cool, you can have a play for a couple of hours at Stow"

2 months later, Chris arrives at Stow:

"Hi Chris, you can only drive the Cup Racer if you tell the world that the 200T isnt sh1t, we've left a travel bag on the drivers seat of the Racer, its got £10k in it. Enjoy the drive"
"FFS, Renault are the new Ferrari, still its £10k towards my F40 finance deposit"

*Stowe

Lionel Richie
Happens all the time though doesn't it. Do you not remember recently the journalist who spoke out at just how "what we say goes or no press cars for you" Ferrari were? Anyone would be mad to purchase a car based on one man/womanz opinion. Test drive that s**t, yo.

"Hi, Renault? Yeah, the 200T is a bit ropey. Don't like it. Got anything else?..H..Hello?"

hence why Harris is banned from Ferrari factory and from driving press cars, he blew the whistle on them a while back

http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

Disastra Coupe
Because one is modified and one isn't. Once you make that comparison, it negates any arguement of price. Especially for the purpose of drag race.

Regardless of the cars, I thought that was Harris' weakest video in a while. Didn't come across that much effort was put into it.

Mountune is available from new, the same as Cup suspension is available from new. It doesn't matter what you say if the car is available with the package as a brand new car for less money it is easily comparable. Just because we're on a Clio forum doesn't mean we have to bum the Clio and stand up for it.

Agreed Harris didn't put much effort in though.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I'm talking about in terms of a drag race, it is a pointless comparison if one car has had it's engine modified and has more power, it should win.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
MarkCup

Great video, he did astonishingly well in the lister! Proper driver! He also timed his run well too as his team mate got the s**tty end of the stick when the heavens opened up.

I am waiting for HWM to get there 4C demo in , been umming and arring for a year over the bloody thing and really i am convinced i want an exige cup , but we will see what deal they want to do .

I bloody love it - it's like a mini Ferarri. Such a cool looking little thing, and sounds pretty nifty too according to Lord Harris.

Disastra Coupe
Oh my, that 4C!

And did he really say a bit over 900kg?! That's fookin' light for a modern car. Didn't realise that's the route Alfa was going down with it!