ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Riggers' Mk2 Xr2 project...

JDM Dc2
new goodies for tomorrows jobs

IMG_2373.jpg

JDM Dc2
well bearing and hub flange changed, the bearing literally came out in bits everywhere when i pulled it off the driveshaft lol, hammered the old races out the hub, went to knock the new ones in and they went in wayyyy to easy, turned out they are i think mk3 bearing, thanks ebay...

so rang around luckily found a place that had a mk2 one in stock, got that, all fitted back together, camber adjusted/set to max again, tracking altered to suit both sides towing out a tad, all is well no more humming/vibrating from the N/S/F
smile.gif

brakes bled as normal, lots of air in as usual after a trackday, i just bled them as normal and just topped the reservoir up with dot 5.1

JDM Dc2
haha cheers mate!

earlier in the week to try sort the electrical problem out i got new stalks, tried them and was still pumping the washers... so checked the wires where they route to the rear of the car and they had caught in the rear qtr with a wood screw when refitting the rear arch the other week as it was hanging off, whatever screw i wouldve used it wouldve caught it as the wires were trapped in an awkward postion, wood screw ftw!

Passed MOT today with no advisories! :)

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
Thought that would have been yours did you have the ambulance and trailer in the corner of camp site on friday night ?

JDM Dc2
6868836828_4c08f508f8.jpg

6868838528_81329dafd1.jpg

You can get the full size ones by clicking on them and going through to flickr, then right click view all sizes.

cheers for the pics james!

Thought that would have been yours did you have the ambulance and trailer in the corner of camp site on friday night ?

nah we travelled down saturady and stayed at a travelodge!

good weekend at POD at fast show apart from the exiting, good to see some old faces!

my best run was a 13.8 @ 104mph

i done my 4 runs straight away to get them out the way, kinda wish i didnt now as the sun didnt come out till dinner time which meant the track was quite slippery in the morning even with a small burnout to get some temp into the tyres, my reaction time was 0.4 seconds slower than on my last best run last time, i missed afew gears here and there, was still fun tho beating an e36 m3, an old scooby and a swift with a 15.8 haha

couple of vids -

against the subaru i got a sh!t start JUST beat him to the line - http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee444/quickshare104/5416ff03.mp4

against the swift, best start of the day, defo recon i wouldve beat 13.6 until i missed 3rd
icon_sad.gif
- http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee444/quickshare104/7fd4fec1.mp4

JDM Dc2
Cheers mate!

bonnet before (low on the right hand side as you look at it) -

6696274595_32cff8d26c_z.jpg

how it is now, much better -

IMG_2464.jpg

also need a new driveshaft so ive got one and should be here mid week, with that and fresh gearbox oil hopefully all will be well again!

new sticker for s***s n giggs, i know its meant for RWD cars but this is hardly got lots of traction haha

IMG_2463.jpg

JDM Dc2
Picked up a new box earlier, S2 RST -

IMG_2465.jpg

not sure on when ill be fitting it yet, all down to when a mate can give me a lift and weather dependant obv, never changed a gearbox with the engine in situ before, looking forward to giving it ago!

also ive removed that sticker now, hopefully should have more traction with this box
icon_biggrin.gif

JDM Dc2
becasue i hate the because saying dont ask becuase why, because i dont know.

box still not fitted, dunno when yet either lol

JDM Dc2
thought id make it a productive weekend... dodging the rain, cradle off, driveshafts etc all removed, engine proped up ready to remove the gearbox -

IMG_2466.jpg

10mins later -

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

all back together, after alot of messing, cleaning up oil, took ages for us to sort the clutch cable, i have a working car again -

IMG_2470.jpg

the ratios are really long compared to my old unkown box, now does 105 in 3rd on the clocks now where was before it done like 92 iirc, doesnt feel as instant after changing gear too takes about a second to kick in/feel as quick as it used too. LSD's brilliant tho. Release bearing is rattling its tits off... and i still have the same humming noise, fcuking wheel bearings argh!!!

JDM Dc2
rear wheel bearings taken apart and re-greased up with bearing grease this time and not just universal grease, all back together, took it for a drive and it still doing the same howling its defo coming from the front nearside, and vibrating every now and then, dunno how but think ive messed up doing that front wheel bearing somehow the other week, it was silent for 2-300miles then its started this humming on the way down to santa pod the other week, its kinda intermittent too which is annoying.

geting used to the ratios now after another little drive, does 3100rpm in 5th at 70mph. The acceleration is savage defo shifts quicker in 1st and 2nd! Pulls awesome and the diff makes such a difference! look forward to testing it properly on the next trackday just hope the release bearing doesnt fail on me!

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Bc box bits are usually interchangeable. If your feeling brave it should be a fairly easy job to swap the final drive or move LSD to old box. Gaskets are cheap. Best box is rs1800 fitted with an LSD. No holes in the ratios.

JDM Dc2
packing chris, literally dunk the bearings in the tub of grease then pack the excess in lol

i know they are yeh but a few things, i dont know the final drive of my old box, im not refitting the old box as the ratios were abit too short really, i shouldve got the s1 rst box really and payed the extra 50quid as a s1 box are ratio'd like inbetween my old box and the s2 box, ah well live n learn, see how it is on the next trackday!

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
S1 box is one on its own. It's gearing is the same as the xr3i with a fractionally lower final drive. Only the rs1800 box and later xr2 boxes have gearing that doesn't have the old 4 speed ratios with a 5th stuck on the end.

S2 box should have 3.82 final drive but not particularly brillant ratios. If you've got good torque it's not a massive issue.

JDM Dc2
nah ive swapped that, unless both are fcuked which is unlikely...

just changed the front wheel bearing, seems ok! the camber and tracking need re-doing as theyre a mile out (mainly the tracking as its toeing out BIG time atm) ill sort that tomorrow as ive had enough working on the car in the rain for today!

JDM Dc2
the other day when i drove the car before i altered the camber and tracking (AGAIN!!!!!!!!) i had a big camber problem, i could feel the car moving from side to side as i was driving...

so got home when the car was on the drive i checked it out, around -3degrees on the offside around -2degrees on the nearside, then i pushed the car 5ft forward-1/2 turn of the wheel and the camber went to like -1degrees and 0 degrees... wtf!?

so ive just checked everying and
everything is now tight as fcuk! also fitted new pinch bolts! camber both set to max/equal... tracking a hell of alot nearer to being right, and I THINK its fine now, need to get the tracking bob on then get a mate to follow me and see from the outside tbh when driving, it felt fine before tho!

JDM Dc2
tracking all good now, ive set it toeing out quite abit, the turn in is awesome and everytime i hoon it around a bend it just makes me smile with the grip/pull of the LSD!

had very bad wheel wobble at 70+mph the other day, swapped the front wheels with the rears and its fine now but you can feel the rear wiggling now very slightly so will have to get them re-balanced (dunno how theyve knocked out of balance tho)

done abit of a run last night to see what it would do in 4th gear (private road of course) it did 140mph on the clock with no sweat and didnt even hit the limiter! so the correct 134mph it should do GPS after working it out does seem accurate tbh, id love to do a top speed run one day maybe at a airfield trackday just for the crack

Going to purchase a Ashley 2.25'' challenge system after payday too as i still want it abit quieter and MDA near me sell them at £125 brand new which i think is a bargain!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yes mate thats a good price, still working on my mk2 just fitting a new front end and seem welding the engine bay.
Bought a 2.0l slivertop the other day but going to take it my engine builders to give the bottom end a freshen up.

Guess i should put the PH1 172 up for sale soon..

Scott.

JDM Dc2
ive been lucky with my 2l, on near as makes no difference 100k miles now i think, still going strong!

had them wheels re-balanced, not taken too many weights on either of them!

Cant find a heater matrix on euro car parts or ebay, will have to see if anyone has one on here!

hopefully going to JasonXR2Racers this week to fit a new clutch cable!

the challenge system is on hold for the time being till these niggly jobs are sorted!

JDM Dc2
release bearings rattling like mad atm, incosistant tho not all the time so ive got a new LUK relase bearing, valvoline 80w90 gearbox oil and 2 new diff seals from Ford, Sorting them/box out this weekend!

Also got a Mk5 Zetec S gear linkage as i believe they fit with little modifying, also fit that when i do the release bearing etc!

Collecting the new Heater matrix from the Post office tomorrow and swap that sometime soon too!

JDM Dc2
3quid 35mm pipe lagging -

IMG_2474.jpg

looked like this until my mate hopped in the car and ripped it haha

so... gearbox out AGAIN -

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

New release bearing was around 5mm too big (internal diamemeter) so luckily my old bearing was fine off my old gearbox so i fitted that saves faffing around waiting days for Euro Car Parts again.

New diff seals fitted, waiting to be pushed all the way in by the driveshafts -

IMG_2479.jpg

all back together and filled up with proper gearbox oil this time -

IMG_2481.jpg

happy days the release bearing rattles like it used to, not major at all.

fitted the ZS linkage, turned out the bush has gone in neutral so it doesnt return to the central position after/when changing gear, so now need another one, sigh lol, altho some people are saying i need a return spring for it as theyre built into the ib5 gearboxs on zs' where as they arnt on bc gearboxs/xr2s.

picture of how the ZS linkage fits -

IMG_2486.jpg

ive won another ZS linkage on ebay, should be here tomorrow! also yet to fit the surround and the gaitor as i had to go get some new M6 nuts and bolts for it earlier.

i also measured the throw of the zs linkage and it's under 4'', so 1 3/4" shorter than the standard linkage, doesnt half make a difference
icon_smile.gif

new vs old catch tank -

IMG_2484.jpg

re sanded and primered the inner wing -

IMG_2482.jpg

painted and laquered itll do for now, halfords tasman blue is a bloody good match -

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

trumpets and inside the bodies need a bloody good clean as i havnt touched them since they were fitted over 18mths ago!

genuine used heater matrix -

IMG_2483.jpg

will fit that when i get time to pick up the new metal clips from Ford which i ordered earlier as the plastic clips are known/have snapped when i removed the old matirx.

also ordered new ball joints from Euro Car Parts as both gaitors are split from the amount of times ive messed about with them now haha, they should be here towards the end of the week!

JDM Dc2
new ball joints -

IMG_2492.jpg

old one, both had split gaitors like this -

IMG_2493.jpg

then did a spanner check on everything as i drove the car 50 odd miles sunday since refitting the gearbox, i thought something was loose... lol -

IMG_2494.jpg

so ive put a new bolt in and cut the vent out in the floor and put a nyloc nut on it, strong as anything now -

IMG_2495.jpg

the other Zetec S linkage turned up today, will fit it on the weekend.

JDM Dc2
New matrix is about 30mm wider than the xr2 one so ive been sold a wrong one, mare!

swapped the gear linkage over to the other ZS linkage i bought and its the same, a tiny bit tighter but still doesnt return to neutral so looks like i do need a retrun spring rigging up

cleaned trumpets with white spirit -
IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

swapped the front wheels with the rears too as i was getting bad wheel wobble at around 70mph only, also removed the 10mm spacers and fitted my 5mms as its miles easier to fit ther wheels on my own without the 10s

JDM Dc2
Love it! I do sometimes wish i had kept my car on the road!

i couldnt have a car like this and not have it on the road for the simple reason of testing things and going out for the odd blast!

got a new/correct size heater matrix which ill fit once i get back from Le Mans!

JDM Dc2
Started first time easy the other day after being sat for over 2 weeks since that thrash/run out.

fitted the heater matrix yesturday now all is toasty in there again!

ordered a return spring and bracket to complete the gearlinkage conversion, fitted -
IMG_2930.jpg

also ive ordered a Mocal 16 row oil cooler off ebay, that should see my oil temp stay as it was in november at oulton with the standard cams in hopefully as it reaches 120degrees slightly quicker with the cams in/it done at oulton in february!

JDM Dc2
just finished bolting the seats to the floor, the plan was to weld in some proper bars but i can just get away with reaching the clutch with them bolted directly to the floor so ive done that using M10 Bolts,Nyloc nuts and Huge 4mm thick 40mm washers, and had my mate weld me up some spacers for the back of the sidemounts as the floor pan drops, all in all MILES more sturdy wish i done them ages ago now!

also booked the next trackday for in 3 weeks at oulton park, aahhhhhhhhh cant wait already!!