ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Riggers' Mk2 Xr2 project...

JDM Dc2
Depending on the weather I might come for a bit. Got some time off work that I'm due back.

sweet, quite a few people are popping down, should be a good day just bloody hope its dry!!

few pics of the seats mounted to the floor -

so much tidier, neater and safer tho now

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

ordered this sislicone elbow off ebay the other day, hopefully this'll help with the oil not blasting as much out the breather when on track now, mainly when hard cornering right with the revs high -

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

if it fails im gonna look into getting a 15mm connection welded onto the sump for a return to sump catch tank!

JDM Dc2
New track wheels in 13x6j RS-4 Spokes/Mk1 supersport wheels, had the tyres swapped over yesturday from my old RS-7s -

IMG_2990.jpg

A quick sand and paint later -

IMG_2995.jpg

Can't wait for Oulton now just a week away :D

JDM Dc2
Awesome day, best trackday ive done so far! i done 201 track miles so around 80 laps, came at a cost tho...

had to regrease a rear wheel bearing first thing as when swapping wheels the rear was a little warm after just a steady 18mile drive there, theyve been making a slight racket for a few months, so just going to replace both rear bearings again next week

then 2 sessions in one of my R888s went down, luckily it went down on a cool down lap so i just came in, panicking wondering why it was pulling so much to one side, turned out i mustve ran over abit of debris and there was a piece of glass or something stuck in the middle of it...

then just after dinner i noticed the the OSF R888s was balding on the inside, i polughed on as that tyre was knackard on the edge anyways so ill just get 2 part worns off ebay, so i continued on track as i thought it would be a tracking/camber reason why it was wearing, turns out the wheel bearing had collapsed, fcuk SAKE... suppose it is the only bearing that ive not changed since owning the car so ill get that changed friday hopefully... i luckily hobbled the car home 18miles with smoke pouring from the front wheel from the metal on metal contact obvs...

also, starter motor packed up just before dinner... the 90degree bend didnt improve the oil breathing out the rocker cover either, and my brakes could do with braided hoses...

expensive day but worth it, vids to come!

JDM Dc2
Lol @ "making a slight racket".

That sort of gives you an indication to change them before doing a track day ;)

'twas fiiiiiiiiiiine!

Ha ha ha was an ace day.

sure was mate, defo worth the cost of repairs!

Saw you Mike on the way back i think you were. I was on my way to see Chris and Ed at Delamere.

you shouldve came oulton earlier man!

Oh and to add to the list of cost/problems i had to pay 50quid for a bolt on tip silencer as my exhaust was 108db.. Weird as it doesnt sound like its changed 3db since the last february trackday, its always been loud but 108db is rediculous

50quids worth of metal and abit of wadding -

IMG_2998.jpg

one collapsed wheel bearing giving me around 6 degrees neg camber lol -

IMG_3001.jpg

new bearing and hub flange ready to be fitted tomorrow -

IMG_2996.jpg

got these whilst i was at ECP too -

IMG_2997.jpg

hopefully this'll help now -

IMG_3000.jpg

also slackened off the manifold and removed the starter so will be swapping that tomorrow, ive got the receipt from december when i got it so we'll see what happenes!

videos anyone? heres sessions 1 and 2, 3 and 4 i was pushing harder and learnt slightly new lines, especially into turn one/Old hall corner... anyways heres 1 and 2, about time i got some propper vids! -

session1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se9VdRTFp8A

session 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiIUeoLTDWs

videos of sessions 3 and 4 to come shortly
icon_smile.gif

JDM Dc2
session 3, probs the best session on film - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzruplrU16c

session 4, the last session on film, afew mistakes and a daft clio driver with Matty experssing his feelings towards him at 6mins LOL - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9SplMuj6KE

New starter which i got for free as my old one was still in warrenty, also put a heatshield around it so hopefully this'll be my last starter motor now -

IMG_3004.jpg

fitted -

IMG_3005.jpg

then attacked the bearing, well n truely fcuked lol, 24years and 7 trackdays old -

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

new one fitted along with the new hub flange, everything back together and all is well, need another new pinch bolt tho, rounded off already and its only been in and out twice, sigh

the car's silent now inside, so the rears can wait till they go noisy, mustve done it good re-greasing the OSR one on wednesday morning!

JDM Dc2
Pinch bolt replaced on the Offside and camber set to max again (must be -3 degrees) after it wasnt quite after rushing after changing the wheel bearing and hub flange last week, also done the tracking at my mates using his gauges now its set to very slight/0.1 toe out.

Got some new P-clips and self tappers for the battery cable, Clipped that up now its alot better.

Ordered 2 new R888s off Camskill last week too, had them fitted the other day!

Also had some new Braided brake hoses turn up the other day too ater ordering them just after Oulton Park.

upto date full spec of the car -

Engine:

*2.0 Zetec E s2 silvertop;
*Newman Ph3 Cams;
*Focus ST170 Headgasket;
*Head skimmed by 6 thou;
*New Genuine Ford Head bolts;
*ARP Rod bolts;
*Shawspeed Baffled 1800 Sump;
*Omex 600 Management;
*Jenvey 45mm throttle bodies with 45x45mm trumpets;
*Jenvey inlet manifold;
*Bosch 330cc injectors;
*ERST high pressure and Facet Red Top low pressure fuel pumps;
*1L External Swirl Pot;
*FSE fuel pressure regulator;
*Mk2i fuel tank;
*Ashley Modified 4-2-1 manifold;
*Ashley 2" single box system with added in flexi joint and custom 2.25" tip;
*Lightened & Balanced 1800 flywheel;
*Helix organic FRST clutch;
*S2 RST LSD Gearbox;
*Mk5 ZS gear Linkage;
*1800 waterpump;
*CVH alternator;
*Cossie Starter;
*Saxo VTS Radiator with minimised cooling set up;
*10" cooling fan;
*Fiat 127 low temp (92degree) fan switch;
*Mocal 16-row Oil cooler with thermostatic sandwich plate;

Mapped at RS Tuning 173bhp 145lbs ft, rev limit set at 7500rpm.

Chassis:

* Gaz GHA Suspension with 250lb front 450lb rear springs;
* Fully Polybushed throughtout;
* Polybushed Adjustable Panhard Rod;
* Road wheels Pepperpots with Toyo CF1 tyres;
* Track wheels RS 4 spokes with Toyo R888's;
* Brembo HC discs, Ferrodo DS2500 pads, Dot 5.1 Fluid
* Mondeo Servo and Mastercylinder;
* Brand new steering rack, ball joints, track rod ends and all wheel bearings.
* Eibach camber bolts set to max (~-3 degrees);
* Battery tray removed in engine bay.

Exterior:

* De-wipered bootlid;
* Drilled out front bumper for extra cooling;
* Dented NSF wing
cry.gif
haha

Interior:

* Fully stripped apart from the dash and heater;
* Safety devices 6 point roll cage with custom door bars;
* Sparco Rev Bucket Seats bolted to the floor;
* TRS 4 point 3" all round harnesses;
* OMP corsica steering wheel;
* Oil temperature and pressure gauges;
* 2 ball pool gear knob;
* Battery in the boot.

weighs just under 800kgs with the R888s on and 1/2 tank fuel, making it 220bhp/tonne.

On the way back from my mates the other day after having the tracking done i noticed rear wheel wobble at 70+mph, so ive been and had the rear wheels balanced and one of them was only 15grams out either side so not too bad, the other was/is buckled so it was 50 out one side and 25 the other, had it all balanced up and can still feel the wobble at 70+, so fcuking annoying as it mustve happened from a pothole as ive not hit anything!... so I've had the tyre swapped and balanced from the buckled wheel onto the spare pepperpot i have! hopefully no more wheel wobble!

Ford Fair done, top weekend, 320 noisy bouncy rattly miles done and the car ticked over 116k on the way home too!

Only problem with it was my tempremental TPS again so im going to solder the connections on it this week sometime then see if it hestaites/makes the car stutter on part throttle again, if it does ill just have to get a new one me thinks!

Ordered a Ashley Challlenege 2.25'' exhaust the other day, should be here by weekend with abit of luck then just going to fit that and the braided hoses in the next week!

JDM Dc2
the Exhaust same yesturday luckily i was in at the time...

New Ashley 2.25'' Challenge system -

IMG_3098.jpg

Old Boggo Spec 2'' Ashley removed -

IMG_3099.jpg

New Vs Old Back box's -

IMG_3100.jpg

All i had to do to fit the new one was chop the old centre section behind the flexi and hope the mild steel Ashley fits snug over the stainless mid section ive had made previously, turns out it didnt perfectly but i thought id get away with it as it wasnt more than 1mm too large, so i used aload of Hi-temp silicone and 2 clamps and its still blowing ever so slighty -

IMG_3103.jpg

when chopping the old centre section near the flexi i done it 15mm longer than the mounts line up, reason being is so the tail pipe sits near enough flush and not set back under the bumper, its about 5mm off the bumper but its alot better than 20mm set back! -

IMG_3105.jpg

all tightened up and went for a blast, its dropped around 10mm even with doubleing up the clamps on the centre section to back box sleeve too so im going to have to get a 3rd bracket made up which i was planning on anyways for peace of mind and im going to get the front sleeve joint welded onto the flexi so there will only be 1 flange joint and 1 sleeve joint on the whole system, sort that next week sometime once i decide where to go!

Oh... and it sounds great too, still loud but not as loud as the old one and this is quite deep with very little rasp compared to before when it was just all rasp!

JDM Dc2
I had a look at the exhaust yesturday... where it dropped when i drove it last week it dropped/twisted on the front sleeve which is blowing slightly/i was gonna get welded up anyways, so i took the exhaust to my mates to get it welded up before having to faff making a 3rd mount...

welded up -
IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

all fitted up, also fitted a powerflex hanger i had from when i had the magnex, so we'll see how this is now and hopefully the 2nd sleeve wont drop down, if it does then its 3rd mount time!

Still need to fit the braided brake hoses !

Booked the next trackday for Anglesey on the 22nd of September too, can't wait already!

Few of us over there, couple of Mk1s, my BM and Jamie so far. Drop me a text if you end up heading over (more than likely be p*ssing down no doubt!)

JDM Dc2
I'll be at Anglesey on picture duty ;)

sweet mate :)

I've got a real lot of love for this car, and even more love for the northern full on approach to track days.

haha glad you like mate, gotta love track days man!

Went back to EFI-Parts yesturday to have my TPS looked at and Map tweaked/checked to suit the new exhaust...

The crimp connections on the TPS were causing it to spack out every now n then, so Chris solded them up then we tested it again and all is well now thank fcuk :D

The map... the new exhaust had leaned out the whole rev range by around 0.5 on full chat, so he added the fuel back in under 4000rpm to make it as it was and a very slight bit right at the top end, the map was also very rich under 3000rpm on >1/2 throttle so he took quite abit of fuel out and now it should be abit more eco driving normal... certainly feels nicer to drive and abit 'free-er' revving up the revs i think when giving it death, feels awesome to drive now, heres the fuelling graph before and after, the top one being how it is now as it didnt need to be as rich as it was above 4500rpm -

IMG_3291.jpg

now i dont have a proven 'ohhh it added 2bhp graph' as it was getting wheel spin on the rollers, we even pulled it off the rollers and i altered the tracking (as it was toeing in, dont ask how when i done the tracking spot on with my mates gauges set to parralel) and it made no difference, he said its 100% down to the camber since maxxing it out as the camber was nothing like it is now last time, he said he has alot of problems with cars getting wheel spin with alot of camber, mainly rwd cars in mx5's (we seen a 160bhp mx5 getting wheel spin in 5th there later on in the day too so it wasnt just my car haha), he said cheap/hard compound tyres are best as they dont heat up as quick or start to peel like mine were doing as they were getting rather hot...

anyways fueling spot on, TPS sorted, happy days! heres a crappy vid which youtube seemed to have raped the quality and some pics, the vid is mainly to to show the exhaust noise anyways, its quietened down alot now with it bedded in/coked up too which is also a winner :) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiN2zqjAGSU&feature=youtu.be

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

JDM Dc2
Braided hoses fitted -

IMG_3293.jpg

just the fronts as i dont want the rears braking anymore than they do already. All bled up with some Dot 5.1, went out for a test drive and they feel exactly the same as they did before, i wasnt expecting much tbh as the mondeo servo and mastercylinder takes up all the pedal feel anyways, give them a proper test next weekend at Anglesey!

JDM Dc2
Anglesey went spot on on Saturday, bloody awesome track!

Car was faultless apart from the brake pad compound fell off and and the discs cracked at around 3.30pm, i wasnt fussed as i knew they were gonna need replacing after the trackday and luckily my mate dragged the car there n back on a dolly so i didnt need to drive the 110miles home.. so at least i got some good track time in, 140miles to be exact.

Few pics -

621687_10152104985970328_145118647_o_zps36d51b01.jpg

621560_10152104984410328_493197473_o_zps7c30566a.jpg

340120_10152104985335328_1187750900_o_zps592a4b1e.jpg

337203_10152104984845328_1259658380_o_zps348b4f26.jpg

467828_10152104987895328_1651895656_o_zps8593ebf9.jpg

277348_10152104986450328_1367844601_o_zps9602c22f.jpg

271282_10152104988195328_920526113_o_zps2bccdc2e.jpg

337240_10152104987100328_1153750527_o_zpsaa7ba0fb.jpg

280562_10152104990010328_1359779320_o_zpsa064a8f0.jpg

77811_10152104992990328_676254440_o_zpsccc1c845.jpg

243999_10152104987490328_1682718815_o_zpsf24fa454.jpg

244115_10152104991860328_2031590583_o_zps98b979f3.jpg

256658_10152148846530164_411485700_o_zps7f66323a.jpg

vids to come!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Those pictures look epic Niall, and session 3 looks really good Jamie.

Shame about the pads and discs though. You never seem to be able to have 1 track day without ANY faults.

JDM Dc2
Those pictures look epic Niall, and session 3 looks really good Jamie.

Shame about the pads and discs though. You never seem to be able to have 1 track day without ANY faults.

I dont class them as a fault as the pads were low and the discs had faints of cracks in them already so i knew they'd need replacing after the trackday, so its just maintainence and now i going to upgrade them...

Just ordered some Ferodo DS3000 pads, just need to pick which discs, might go for the Brembo MAX HC discs over the normal HC's and see how they are with the 3000s!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Wow! I love the love you have for this car! Really! I never expected you to keep it this long. What does the future hold?

Did your ZS teach you most of the mechanical knowledge then just carried on into the XR?

The colour saturate shots are immense. :eek:

JDM Dc2
Serious?!?!

Never realised they were so small. That's a joke lol!

yeh standard innit haha

would go bigger but that would mean new wheels, tyres, brakes, arch work, less camber, larger rear springs... and anything bigger than 13s look daft on mk1/2s imo

Wow! I love the love you have for this car! Really! I never expected you to keep it this long. What does the future hold?

Did your ZS teach you most of the mechanical knowledge then just carried on into the XR?

The colour saturate shots are immense. :eek:

im kinda suprised ive kept it 2 n half years tbh haha

the future, just maintain it, nothing else to really go further on/with it now tbh without spending even more £££ it costs enough maintaining and running it haha

yeh just self tought