ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rat Style Clio - My first car

Mk2 Ph1 Clio
so i know a lot of yous on this site dont like modified cars that much, but meh i feel like sharing my car with yous anyway. I bought this car as my first car in august of last year for a whopping £400 and since then it has somewhat changed. the first thing i done was buy fog lights for it from a scrap yard, next was the sound system (i dont have any photos of it...its a 10 inch sub in the boot :p) and some clio alloys. that is when i realised i was going to go for a rat look with my car seeing as it was so cheap for me to buy! i bought a metallic blue bonnet out of a crap yard and grinded down to bare metal and let it rust in the elements, i also got a renault espace splitter and fitted to my car along with a cherrybomb back box, next i had to put the steel wheels back on due to bald tyres....so i painted them red and blue. and recently i got the lend of a set of rota RKR's for the day and i took some photos.
clio3_zpse04bdec4.jpg

clio5_zpsc511f8cb.jpg

clio4_zps8079f76d.jpg

clio2_zps06ed1034.jpg
clio1_zps2b257928.jpg
IMG_4260_zps98268ce0.jpg
IMG_4274_zpsd83e91e3.jpg

Last edited:
People like modifications, but tasteful ones.

I think you need a flamesuit, as no offence but it's turned into what looked quite respectable into scrap!

​Each to their own and all that though.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
See if it was an actual rat I would have no problem.

But all you have is a standard car with a rusty bonnet - so therefore it's stupid. I actually like the odd rat but yours simply isn't it.

Craig.M

ClioSport Club Member
  Valver, Octavia vRS
Um, I don't like it, so am out

but, it's your car, as long your happy with it.

I thought cherry bombs were illegal?

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Ohhh my eyes!

Looks a tidy cheap little runner when you first had it.

Now it looks like a moving scrap yard...

You'd have been better off buying cleaning products and just keeping it looking like a fresh/clean respected first car.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
It's 4am I am unable to sleep. I come onto CS to see what's happening and find this. What are you thinking! It's f**king hideous!

Now I feel sick and doubt ill be getting back to sleep anytime soon.

Clio 1.2
Guys come on be nice...

personally mate it needs a lot more work to be "rat style" I'd take the bonnet off put a decent one on and then work on it from there, but each to their own.
heres a picture of my mates old rat fiesta, in all fairness though it was half way to rat style when he bought it...
16ib42d.jpg

04BGFF182CLIORS
Trying WAY to hard, and still failing. The originators of true 'Rat' look will be turning in their graves knowing the current trend is for 17 year olds with small engined hatchbacks slapping on a rusty bonnet on and thinking that makes it rat...

If you left it standard with just a nice drop and the ROTA's it would be a different story.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
We like modified cars, within reason.. What is modified about that? Seriously, it is just rusty and has Ronald McDonald's shoes as wheels.

Mk2 Ph1 Clio
i can actually say that these responses are exactly what i expected hahaha, and i know it is not 'rat' enough but as i said i have only had the car 7/8 months so i am still modifying it as i go. i will try to make it look better with a set of coilovers and possibly a set of 13 inch deep dish retro wheels. though i am happy to see some people actually saying they don't like it but they don't care, bit of a change from all the rest of the people on here hahaha

Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Isn't the whole point of RAT to fix broken things with parts of other modes of transport for little to no money?

so purposefully going out and damaging a bonnet to fit it to a perfectly sound car kind of defeats the object of RAT.

​and Cs does like mods, fyi

Clio RS200
On the painted wheels it looks awful, on the Rota's it's passable. I quite like it. It great to be different, so carry on! Maybe a VAG car would have been a better choice as you could have picked up a MK3 for peanuts.

Mk2 Ph1 Clio
sorry guys for writing yous didn't like modified cars, i just said that from the stories i have heard about this site. but i can see yous do like modified cars....within reason :p

04BGFF182CLIORS
There is difference between true rat (which you dont understand) and forced rat though.

Rat comes from (as has been said above) caring little for the exterior of the car but spending all the cash on engine/running gear. Originates from the 50's/60's in the USA when people were picking up 30's cars that has been sitting for years gaining real patina, not sanding down perfectly good cars to make them go rusty.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
There is difference between true rat (which you dont understand) and forced rat though.

Rat comes from (as has been said above) caring little for the exterior of the car but spending all the cash on engine/running gear. Originates from the 50's/60's in the USA when people were picking up 30's cars that has been sitting for years gaining real patina, not sanding down perfectly good cars to make them go rusty.

Agreed. I hate this forced rat style on modern cars. It doesn't work, and looks s**t I'm afraid to say.

Saying that, true rat didn't even involve any "sprucing up" or maintenance. You treated the car like you stole it. I've not really seen a rat car I like. Rat bikes on the other hand, seem to do it justice.