ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

nova/corsa redtop vs clio 1*2?

clio 172 cup
any1 had any encounters? They are dirt cheap to buy on pistonheads, are thry trouble or worth owning one?

clio 172 cup
thats wot i thort, must admit was hard tryin 2 click on 1 that i thort yeah that looks pretty genuine n professionally done n looked after, just curious about them.

53 Clio's & counting
A mate had a red top in a nova, with exhaust, filter and chip, and my old mk1 hybrid used to pull a good few legnths, i personally dont like them, i would happily take a willy/hybrid over one any day

My mates got a Corsa Redtop, he thought it was the fastest thing on the road until I had a few runs with him in my Valver.... semi-stripped 1.8 16v was on par with it, top end I got away...

My 172'd Mk1 just pisses all over it as expected, IMO a 1*2 would also. I had an encounter with a redtop nova a few weeks ago also, stripped etc. It was quick to be honest, but just not quick enough. It would have probably been on par or a bit slower than a 1*2.

99% of them are undeclared bags of s**t still running 1.2 suspension and brakes etc. Very quick when you get a properly set up one though.

Brisol my lover..
You need to make sure they have done the conversion properly, needs to be seam welded around parts of the engine bay and suspension mounts ect and sometimes you will find the bulk head will pull its self apart due to the weight and power of the engine,if they havent done this to start with then its a engine out job to sort it all.
You can get a Nova Rally manual which shows all the week weld points and the sizes of the plates to make and fit ect.

my mate has a C20LET one, its pulling its self apart lol

If done well they can be cool.

P1000563.jpg

P1000565.jpg

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
C20 XE's are nippy off the mark, stripped out they'll hang with a 172 no probs, however a C20LET will tear most things a new arsehole...

Swift Sport
I ruined a redtop turbo Corsa the other night, it didn't handle and he couldn't get traction on the damp road. I went past while he was 'spinning up' and by the time we'd got to a bend I was gone!

On a dry, straight road though I'm sure it'd be a different story!

Clio dci 80 2005
Ive built a few XE novas, and more recently a XE fiat seicento which did make a few people look twice on the motorway. I love clio's, but a decent redtop nova would easily play around with a 182. If you are interested, then you would be best to look for a coscast engine, as these are the best of the xe range, as its a cosworth head, and doesnt have the porus problems found on some of the engines. The parts are cheap, but make sure if your buying a car already built that it is welded correctly. They need to be stitch welded (or seam welded), and preferably with a plating kit fitted, which is basically some plates cut to size and fit where there could be strain, to make the front end more solid. Dont touch a rotton or rusty shell, as if you do have an accident in one, its a heavy engine to have sat on your lap. Finally, make sure the brakes are the 257mm upgrade and you have decent driveshafts. There are some built for the xe conversion, using bigger hubs etc, and then there are welded cut and shuts, which id avoid as if one snaps you will be stranded, if not worse. Think the gsi shafts are a straight swap from memory on a nova.. Its worth taking a look anyhow when buying a car (if you do)...
Ive always gone down the route of getting the shell, and engine seperate, and building my own, as that way you know whats been done, and that no corners have been cut. Ive seen a few out there with fuel pumps on top of the battery, ecu's in bin bags (waterproofed lol) in the engine bay... Just shocking dangerous stuff!

My old nova conversion..

And my more upto date 2.0 16v XE Seicento Conversion

Clio dci 80 2005
That Seicento is Crrrraaazzzzzzyyyyyy! :D

Cheers, bit gutted as i sold it to buy myself my clio, only got around £1500 in the end for it after throwing in over £3k, although it is the only one in the world, or was until the chap had a prang in it.. He was glad it was all welded up solid, and braced, as it would have been a different story now... Its currently undergoing a reshell... I wouldnt have bothered, it was way too much work to build lol.

But i did have a play with a 182 on the way to TRAX '09 before i sold it... More than likely a guy off here as it was a black minter with really nice buckets in, and various guages and pods.. He looked really shocked with me sat next to him on the M1 lol....

Clio dci 80 2005
Saw your Sei on ebay Madmodz, was impressed having been a Cinq owner a few years back.

lol cheers, would never own another fiat though tbh lol... They hold no value what so ever when you want to sell them, be them modified or not... Good fun little cars though..

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
Clio_rich off here had one for about a week hated it and sold it, was pretty quick tho to be fair, but they are chavy as fook 99% of them. Can be quite fun tho

alien green rs133
mates got a corsa b with a redtop in
my 1600 was quicker purely on the baisis i could put power down and go in a straight line with no torque steer.

saying that though. if i needed a £200 pound run about i would run one. would have to be a sleeper though

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
They could be sub 3 second cars good for 200mph....but they are still the tool of a chav.

IMO.

DMS

A thirsty 172
They're too slow... but then again I would say that.
Add boost and it'd be interesting though.

172 ph1
there was a lad up here built a nova c20 turbo like it was fast as f**k...was meant to be capable of 155 top end aswel so wasnt too bad really lol.....i would love a decenct redtop corsa or nova but just like a lad said earlier in the thread you need to be pretty dedicated! and probly not be short of a bob or two

DMS

A thirsty 172
Tweaked c20let would poo on your 172 turbo...

That's a bit of a generalisation TBH - not necessarily correct.
What does the C20LET make? About 200bhp standard? And that's a turbo'd lump out of the box. The F4R in a 172 isn't turbo'd out of the box.
I'm running well over 200bhp already (probably with a similar amount of boost) and it'll be a lot more soon. If you tuned both engines to the same level I dare say there wouldn't be that much in it power wise.
It also depends what car it's in. If it's in a shitbox Nova then yes it probably would be quicker because they're about as heavy as a baked bean tin. If it was in a newer shaped Corsa (which are heavier IIRC) then there probably wouldn't be much in it.
I bet the C20LET's are a lot easier / cheaper to get power out of though.

No-one puts c20lets into later corsas because of the different throttle methods. Z20lets are being put into corsa cs now because of the flybywire throttles but they are about 6k with circa 240~280bhp.

RB 182 cup
ive built a few
first was a standard 2.0 whih ran 14.7 qtr's
this then got throttle bodies and ran 14's
ran coilovers rear anti roll bar etc and handled very well for a corsa

Photo-0275.jpg

was a quick car and i have no doubt in it beating my 182.

then i built my turbo. ended up with just shy of 300bhp. very fast car with same suspension as my old one. loved it to bits

DSCF1336.jpg

DSCF1340.jpg

182,mx-5 mk1,mev sonic 7
funny you should ask!!!!!!!!!!!
just extensively raced my pals new corsa redtop for 20 mins last night in my 182 my 182 is one of the healthy ones which made 182.5 on the rollers but i calculated it to be 174bhp at the flywheel if this means anything to you son.mines is just a ballhair faster nothing in it to be honest until silly speeds noticeably faster after 100.
i also raced my pals 106gti has pipercams exhaust and manifold dastek uni chip etc 150bhp and it managed to keep up would say it was evens with the corsa so theres another option for you lol

also raced my workmates skoda fabia vrs with just a crude tuning box which gives it 160bhp supposedly and there wasnt anything in it too from 50 up until 90 then his runs out of steam so if you got the fabia and get a proper map for it and other bits and pieces youl get best of both worlds economy and power.and also wolf in sheeps clothing to boot.

Last edited:
My mate is building a Nova with a Redtop on ITBs dropped into it. Doing it properly though, virtually rebuilding most of the car, even replaced the inner wings slam panel etc. Should be a rapid wee motor when finished.