ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 1.2 16v 2004 road noise

renault clio 2004
hi all. thanks for having me, first post.

picked up a Renault Clio 2004. 1.2 16v a couple weeks back and its developed a hell of a road noise from the rear end that sounds remarkably like shot bearings ( i mean totally shot and screaming ) however when i bought the car it had both rear bearings replaced along with 4 brand tyres. i figured hey, maybe the garage used cheap parts so this morning i went out and bought two new OEM bearing kits and changed them. while i was at it, checked the rear breaks and drums all look good, breaks look fairly new. drums are rusty but not cracked or overly worn. hopped back in the car and the noise is still there, as loud as ever. noise starts up at around 15-20 mph and by 40-60 the noise is so loud i cant have a conversation in the car and the vibration can be felt under foot, its deafening.
noise is definitely related to road speed not engine speed as makes no difference coasting. did notice however a very slight drop in noise on a hard right turn.
ive been doing some research so to point out, yes i have torque wrench and have torqued the bearings up to 175nm. both wheels spin freely by hand with no notches or grinding etc, all 4 tyres are brand new (cant remember the brand) rear brakes are somewhat newish and drums are not cracked
im at a total loss on this one so hoping someone else has had similar issues or better yet knows of a solution.

thanks for hearing me out and thanks in advance for any advice

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
They’re not the best sound insulated cars so you do tend to hear every rumble. Have you checked the front wheels as well?
I haven’t got a clue about drums, but are any of the wheels very hot after a drive?

renault clio 2004
no heat on any of the wheels, checked front as well cant feel anything or hear any noise spinning by hand. i know sound tends to resonate on these cars but honestly the noise from the rear end is unbelievably loud

Clio 3 1.2 Extreme
Can you feel the vibration through the steering wheel ? If not, then the vibration is probably coming from the rear and perhaps is a wheel out of balance ?

Not sure about the noise as it is road speed related, but could it be a worn bush transferring the noise directly to the body ?

I changed tyres recently and it made an improvement, what make are the new ones ?

Clio 3 1.2 Extreme
Sit someone in the back and try and identify if the sound/vibration is one or both sides. Ask them to put a hand on the wheel arch to feel for the vibration/noise. A second opinion is always useful :)