ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine noise at certain RPM

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Here's one for the gurus, it's got me stumped!!

Car is a 2001 1.2 16v sport, it's developed a new noise, it sounds like a very bad wheel bearing but it only does it at 4300rpm! Sounds perfect under that and disappears around 4500rpm.

Now before everyone thinks I'm a mad chav ragging about a 1.2 Clio, the issue is because of its gearing, it happens around my early morning motorway cruising speed in 5th 😂

Only work I've recently done is a driver's side drive shaft, however given it happens at a set RPM in any gear I can't see how this would cause it. - also I don't know if it started directly after this due to the fact I never rev it that high in any other gear and don't always reach that speed in 5th - but I do know it never used to do it.

• It's worse on full throttle, and half as bad on half throttle if that makes sense.
  • Same RPM, every gear
  • Lift off it completely disappears - so only under load
  • The noise resonates thru the cabin enough to cause the dash etc to vibrate
I'll upload a video HOWEVER the camera doesn't pick it up well, and anyone I've shown so far has just got fixated on the dashboard rattle that's a consequence of the "engine" noise.

Clio 1.6 16v
That sounds like my noise, and It's the clutch cable vibrating. Put your foot slightly on the clutch and see if the vibration stops.