ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2014 Clio mk4 1.2T Auto rattle under load after getting hot

Clio mk4 1.2 2014
Hi Everyone

I have a Clio mk4 1.2 auto, I can't seem to find the noise nor can the garage ( who had the car for almost a month).

This is a rattle ( similar to how gears would chatter or try to engage or similarto a rear wheel drive universals on a drive shaft when they are about to go), it only happens when it's hot or after driving for 10mins up, you hear it when passing other cars or barriers more. As you drive and accelerating it rattles faster and louder and at some point stops when you floor it but comes back when you slow down and start to accelerate again. It sometimes doesn't happen for days and then starts again.

I hear it even on take off once it's hot and audible on an incline but not flat or down hill( basically when there's no load).

In park you can rev and no rattle only on movement.

I checked for play on the CV joints and boots, spun the wheels and no sound, it also when through road worthy test last week and all the joint were tested fine. I check heat shields and all out of the way.

Sound like a similar issue to "2016 Clio (1.2T) rattle under load" post but this is my car that I want to fix :)

Really really stumped with this one.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Clio mk4 1.2 2014
Hi Sash

I attached a file with the sound of it you can hear the rattle sound. On low speed and revs you don't hear it and as you rev and go faster it sound like something locks into place and the noise stops but as you slow down it starts again.

Thanks

Attachments

• Voice 039_sd-1.mp4
    77.3 KB

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I know you said the heat shields are all out of the way but are they all secure?
When you’re in the car can you locate the rough area it’s coming from I.e left or right side?

Clio mk4 1.2 2014
Right front side, will pick it up again this weekend and have a look at all the panels and heat sheilds. It only starts happening after the car gets hot, I can drive for 15mins on the motorway with no sounds and then it starts, on a cold day I won't get any sound. Really mind boggling.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Have you had any work done on the car prior to it starting the rattle?

Clio mk4 1.2 2014
Have you had any work done on the car prior to it starting the rattle?
When I bought the car a year ago it did go in for engine light coming on , it was a sensor (as per the dealership). After that about 2 weeks and the noise started, took it back to them and the checked and found no fault. Then again sent it in to them where they kept it for a month "testing" and found nothing wrong. Since then iv been trying to figure it out myself.