ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nokia N80

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Tom,

I searched the internet, and found out that Orange reduce the image size of incoming MMS images, as do Vodafone I think. Obviously to reduce their costs as MMS are charged per message not data size.

I've sent an image to my mates O2 phone (both Nokia N80's) and it came through large enough to fill the screen. I sent myself the exact same mms and the image was tiny on the screen. The guy on O2 then sent me a MMS and the image was still tiny on the screen.

Also I cannot believe that they charge for delivery reports!! Shocking lol!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Very strange. im on a business line so i may have no such restrictions.

Delivery report charges? LOL bum deal.
Im switching to tmobile next month after being with orange for 6 years.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Adam I've found out that my friend on o2 had accidentally changed his settings earlier today, infortunate timing for me. He's returned his mms to send at normal size and now I'm receiving them full screen. As you've rightly said Orange must be to blame for your downscaled images.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
orange has gone now iv ended the contract under their 14 days money back guarantee terms.

gonna go on PAYG for a while, still have 30 days to sen the phone back yet.

Dunno if to hang fire for a different model phone or to go with O2 with the N80.

There is an N83 coming out early 2007 with 5mp cam, auto focus, 3x optical zoom, 4gb hard drive etc etc etc. cant be arsed to wait that long tho, if i get a 12 month contract it will prob be up by time thats actually released!

Citroen DS3 DSport
Adam it may well be worth waiting for the N73 which is an upgrade on the N80. Failing that you should get a N80 from o2 stores without any problems.

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
Got mine on Friday and got it connected to my Wireless network pretty easily. Also hacked iSync and got all my contacts transferred.

One thing I can't work out how to do (if it's even possible) is copy music / videos to the phone over WiFi. It works fine with the cable and Bluetooth as you'd expect.

I know installing the Nokia software might help but I'm on OS X so that's a no go.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Thankfully I upgraded from a Nokia 6630 and all my contacts etc were copied to the N80 via bluetooth using the preinstalled Transfer program.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Red Cup said:
Got mine on Friday and got it connected to my Wireless network pretty easily. Also hacked iSync and got all my contacts transferred.

One thing I can't work out how to do (if it's even possible) is copy music / videos to the phone over WiFi. It works fine with the cable and Bluetooth as you'd expect.

I know installing the Nokia software might help but I'm on OS X so that's a no go.

yeh you need the software that comes with it. its not nokia software, but its a media station type of thing which your phone pics up and connects to. I dont think there is any other way to do it. altho any media station type of thing may work.

172beast

Nope, mines very quick, no time at all loading stuff up, switching between menus is instant. Try changing log from 30->10 days, this'll quicken things up, check what firmware you running to, newest one .06 has better memory allocation.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I can't say my N80 is slow, menu access times are good, no worse or better than any other Nokia Symbian OS phone I've owned.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
I'm on the O2 online £30 deal. My phone can now be renewed. Is the N80 a free upgrade yet on my current tarriff? Can anyone help?

Cheers...

Citroen DS3 DSport
Tyson they will probably try and charge you £129 for the upgrade but if you threaten to cancel you should get it for free. I did :)

RenaultSport clio 182 CUP
3 have it available now on a 18 month contract. im with 3 there pretty good... beat o2 hands down!!!

Welcome to my network!!

DC5
Tyson, they charged my £49.99 for mine. I am on the same tariff. Although you can have mine. Bit of a let down after all of the hype about it. May be I have just got a bad one, as it is pretty slow between menus etc. Not impressed. I am on the latest firmware as well.

What is the e900 like? I know it is not quite the same spec as this, but to be fair, I wouldn't use half of it any way. What other decent phones are available at the minute?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
3 is pap, i hated every day with them lol.

dropped calls, network busy and poor signal all the time.

suppose it depends on area, but O2 and orange have both been 10 x better for me

172beast

muffs said:
3 have it available now on a 18 month contract. im with 3 there pretty good... beat o2 hands down!!!

Welcome to my network!!

2 of my mates were on 3, said it was utter tosh signal wise.

172beast

Right, in answer to the problems some of us have been gettin when recieving MMS messages. I've spoke to Orange today, who told me they only scale down MMS messages if there above 100k, below that they do not. She said if you send a 50k message to yourselve you should recieve it at 50k. I was told they have had a number of phone calls with the exact same issue and theres no settings in the phone that are at fault, she told me it was a problem with the phone itself and to register it with Nokia.

So to test this theory (which I find hard to believe) I'm going to put my Orange sim in my unlocked 6670 tonight after work and send myself a MMS, if it gets scaled down still I'll know its not the N80 and I was just fed bull plop lol

Lux'd Glacier White R26
sneeks said:
Tyson they will probably try and charge you £129 for the upgrade but if you threaten to cancel you should get it for free. I did :)

Thanks for the info mate. O2's systems are useless. I keep going through to their Call Centre, and their systems are constantly down. I will try to blag them that Voda are offering me the N80 for free, and hope they match it. I may also try it with the N91?

I will threaten to cancel if they don't match it, but what if they don't back down???

I've had a play with an N80 and they seem pretty good...

Tyson.

Citroen DS3 DSport
All mms messages I've received have been perfectly scaled on o2.

Tyson I'd be surprised if retentions do not match an offer, even if it is fake. Phone them on 0870 600 7102

They gave me an N80 for free so there is no reason they cannot do the same for you. All depends which operator you speak with. Ask for Wayne as he seems to know his stuff.

Finaly I have recieved mine.

Managed to get on the internet with my phone that was easy but when I wanted to create a network at home using my wireless router it was a no go. Could not share files at all it just said waiting for devices.

Same when I tryed to do it ad-hoc with my laptop (no router present) the phone saw the network (the simble apeared) the laptop was conected to the phone (good signal) but I could not share files. I know for a fact file shating is allowed on the phone.

Anyone shed some light? on the above?

So what good applications are out for this phone?

Scott

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
nah its really good matey. you can browse all your pc's media on the phone, vids, mp3's, images, and either display them on ya pc remotely from the phone, or copy them over to the phone to have on there. pretty cool gadget.

so if u want a song, it arranges them all in genre, artist, track, etc

Just ordered mine through 3, only ones offering fone for free!! After all the comments about there coverage I'll have to hope I'm in a good area!!

Citroen DS3 DSport
172beast said:
I thought this was to good to be true :( I've done some checking online and it appears the information from Route 66 is incorrect, the N91 and N80 are not compatible with this release. I think they have assumed that these phones are compatible due to them using Symbian OS but have not realised it is a newer version.

My dad had a similar problem with Route 66 for his SE phone, the website claimed it was compatible when it was not.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No that release isnt for 9.1 3.x series 60 phones.

Last edited: