ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nokia N80

Citroen DS3 DSport
MMS pics are very small on the N80 but normal size on older Nokia phones with smaller screen resolutions. I found this out by sending a wallpaper file from my 6630 to the N80, on the 6630 it fills the screen, on the N80 it is tiny.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i know a person who works for Nokia and hes got the n93 what a wanker LOL

amazing fone

172beast

sneeks said:
MMS pics are very small on the N80 but normal size on older Nokia phones with smaller screen resolutions. I found this out by sending a wallpaper file from my 6630 to the N80, on the 6630 it fills the screen, on the N80 it is tiny.

No there not tho, cos if you check file sizes on older Nokia S60 phones there 30k, but on the N80 & Orange at least, there 3k, so its not due to the fact the res is better.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I sent a mms pic that appeared small on my N80 and it views perfectly on the 6630.

What size have you set the mms message to display/send at? You can choose small, large or original from within the settings menu.

172beast

Got it set at large mate, defo summit not rate with mine, whether its the phone or Orange I'm not sure. But I sent a MMS to my mate with a N80 on Orange, it was 40k ish when I took the pic, when he recieved it, it was 3k, seen it with my own eyes!!!

Citroen DS3 DSport
That's odd. I don't know anyone with a N80 that I can test a mms to and from so that's prob not much help.

If I send a 92kb file with mms settings at original then it claims to have sent that as planned, if I change the setting to small then all I send is a very small 11kb pic. I can't verify how this will look on another handset.

172beast

Yeah thats it sneeks, if it sends at 92kb you'd expect it to be recieved at that! Might try sending myself a 30k file over MMS and see what happens.

172beast

Defo gotta be Orange, just sent myself a MMS, started off at 38k when it was sent, when I recieved it, was 6k, wtf is that all about!??! Rate annoying me, might have to ring Orange, again :mad:

Citroen DS3 DSport
Hmmm as luck would have it a friend with a N70 has just sent me a pic which is tiny on my screen. I've asked him to check his sent items and tell me the size reported in his message details, I want to see if it matches what I have received.

If this is different then it's the phone and not Orange as I'm on o2.

172beast

Yeah, see what he says, bet its around 40k when he sent it, bugging the hell outta me.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
sneeks. what network u on pal? and ur mate?

ill send u an mms and maybe u send one back see what happens?

im on orange and ur on o2

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm on o2 Adam as is my friend with the N70. PM me your mobile number and I'll test it.

MMS sent to you Adam.

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
I received a pic from Adam which actually displayed fairly big (full screen) with a file size of 23kb, not sure what size it should have been?

Citroen DS3 DSport
Can you all confirm which settings you have your cam set to for the pics which you are sending? I need to lower the quality to mms, if I don't (leaving it at 3mp) then I receive a message telling me that it cannot scale the image for use as a mms. This is fairly useless as I do not take every pic with the intention of sending it via mms but it doesn't mean I will not choose to send it at a later date.

My firmware is v3.0617.0.6

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
sneeks. mine was received by you at 32kb but was really small on the screen. even when i saved it to gallery it was tiny.

I dont change cam settings for pics, i just send any pics in my gallery, which are all on full res.

172beast

Sneeks the phone will reduce the filesize to suitable MMS sending size, but you need to have the MMS settings set to Guided or restricted I think!

Citroen DS3 DSport
I wonder why that's causing problems for me then? :( Are you saving your pics to phone or card memory?

EDIT: Ok I'll try send Adam another full res file using guided mode and see what happens.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I've tried to send a pic which was shot at 3mp and it will not scale it down to fit into a mms no matter which mms setting I choose. The original pic size is 920kb if I check the gallery.

"Unable to scale image in restricted creation mode"

Citroen DS3 DSport
Adam can you confirm the size of the file you sent to me and also the size claimed in your sent items?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
ok iv changed my settings to guided mode now.

adding an image to mms said that the recipient may not be able to receive such a large file, then after it inserted it it said image size reduction also reduced quality. iv sent a test to 172beast see what happens

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
sneeks said:
Adam can you confirm the size of the file you sent to me and also the size claimed in your sent items?

it says 23kb mate.

has it come up in large size?

iv just send a 199kb one to 172beast and when he got it it was 4kb.

Citroen DS3 DSport
It was received at 23kb and if I click the picture in the mms message then it opens at full size.

Is the original pic far bigger in your Gallery? Can you also confirm that your camera is set to 3MP?

Citroen DS3 DSport
As another test I'll send you two mms messages each containing the same pic. Can you check if one displays larger than the other and aslo compare the file sizes?

One sent at 89kb and a second at 11kb, both the same image sent with different mms settings.

Last edited:
  20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
sneeks -

first one still tiny but file size is 37kb
second one still tiny but 10kb this time.

wonder why the one i sent you was larger! i had it set on restricted mode and large size.

iv since changed to guided mode and original as the image size.

172beast

This is all rate weird and doing my nut in, whatever gets sent should get recieved the same, KB should match surely

Citroen DS3 DSport
172beast said:
This is all rate weird and doing my nut in, whatever gets sent should get recieved the same, KB should match surely

Can you check your camera settings and take a pic at 3MP then try insert it into a mms? I'm curious to see if it works no problem for you. These pics are averaging 1000kb in my gallery.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
sneeks found out mate its orange that scale them down when receiving MMS images.

proper gay that is, not happy with that! iv still got 5 days to cancell this contract, tempted to fuk them off as iv had nothing but hassle

Citroen DS3 DSport
I may have discovered my prob with 3MP images. If I go into messages and create a new mms from there, then add a image it gives me an error message. If I go into Gallery, select the image and then select send via mms it scales the image without any problems. Weird.

Adam that's not very good but it does not explain why I received a pic from you at full size yet I received a tiny pic from someone on the same network as me.

All networks have a 100kb limit but this should be taken care of on the sending phone, I cannot understand why they would scale down what you receive.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
im confused about all this crap lol!

im complaining to orange tomorro, iv already got a 2 page letter to send to them regarding their service up to now!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
yeh that the forum i saw it on!

orange w**k lol! reckon this is the icing on the cake for me to fuk them off tomorrow now. seriously.

might hang about for the N93 on O2 (2009? lol) and use PAYG till then

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
If you want to send big images dont use mms, use the pop email function.

i use the wifi to host an image with photobucket and sms the link to someone, works out cheaper than mms.

Use a lower setting like 640x480 or even 800x600 and the pics should come over at a more reasonable rate. theres no point in sending 3mp images over mms as its a standard- Every mobile that uses mms needs to work within the standard MMS definitions.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
thing is they worked fine on O2. they were still reduced but to a respectable size that looked fine on both the phone and on the pc (about 640x480 i think)

The problem is Tom, not me sending images out, but receiving them. My bird sent me some pics of her easier and I could hardly make them out. If I zoomed they were distorted.

Overall im not happy with Orange at all. They have messed me about and lied to me on 2 occasions now, one of those meaning my phone number was inactive for almost 2 days. Not what I want when im in the middle of jobs and awaiting calls regarding interviews for jobs iv been chasing for the past 3 weeks.

Reckon its back to good old O2 for me.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ive got mms on my phone that approaches 90kb

Your phone must be reducing the pictures. Can you get video and other attachments?

My p910i on orange has no such issues.