ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Just thought if you were opening the ports out you would end up removing the groove? But I assume its going to be right in between and leave you with part of it?
If you've got TIG facilities then I suppose its not too big a deal, but appreciate its still a pita! I take it there wasn't enough meat on the flange just to skim it down and take out the groove?

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
We had exactly the same issue on our inlet manifold/plenum as we used a jenvey mr23 to the head. Our head ports are pretty big too. We initially just used a std gasket but it had a very small leak. We still have the o-ring groves so we got some rings from Jevey and they seal fine.

However, if the manifold was properly matched to our head the groves would be history! Shame they don't machine them 1-2mm bigger all round.

Good luck with the dyno. Fred is pretty good at estimating figures - I tried to out guess him but failed :)

Lionel Richie
Oi speedy gonzales! Injectors might be needed before the dyno! I'll post them first thing monday along with the flywheel botls! but please not wednesday as the wife is taking me out for my birthday in the evening (can we skip thursday too? ;)) let me know where and when and i'll drag my arse along

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Yes injectors would help lol , can you sort me one of your exhausts out and bring it with you ? 172 twin box stealth , to match a 182 manifold.

I'm only dropping the engine off this week , as they have not done a 172 engine yet they don't have mounts to fit it to the dyno , so they will be making them and then dynoing it the following week , i'll let you know what day and you can see if your free to come along

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Whos dyno'ing the engine ? and do you have the name of the guy who rewired your car ?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Whos dyno'ing the engine ? and do you have the name of the guy who rewired your car ?

The guys name who rewired the car for me is in post 633 , its Gary Owen.

The engine is being dynoed by Alvin in Plymouth who does all of John Reads Engines , and plenty of others , he did my Golf engine

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
sorted the manifold out on the weekend and its a perfect match to the head now

E9DE2C97-BF86-4B78-942F-1ED8BE654E81-1376-000001E76361E6F8.jpg

Going to take the engine to the dyno is on hold tomorrow as Fred didn't have time to send some stuff I need , hopefully I will get them tomorrow so I can go thursday , times ticking away now and am really hoping to do Pembrey on the 30th.

Taken the pod off the top of the dash , and am getting it modified wider and deeper to take the larger X dash display , so they said that would be a week or so with the workload they have , will get it flocked then to make it pretty again lol

Gearbox is back with SWR , called them today and they haven't had chance to strip it yet , so hopefully in the next few days it will be done and on its way back to me.

Got all 16 wheels I have being sprayed as well , they are looking tatty now , and more so on the car as its been repainted !

Its coming together , just not as quickly as i'd like .

I'm also talking to www.ultimatep.com about doing me another head to build up this ultimate engine I want , they have done a head for someone who was running 280hp , so will crack on in the new year and make a start on it , save the cat solid lifter kit sitting in my office getting dustier !

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Sitting on the floor waiting for the final bits off Fred , ready to go in the back of my van and off to the dyno :D

F64387AF-C6EC-4ED7-96D5-35C1F73B318A-1611-000002216900A9BB.jpg

D979CD37-3338-45F4-AD08-E5196E083E80-1611-0000022155843392.jpg

4D6A203F-D40E-4FB5-86A9-809C36490949-1611-0000022170E535B9.jpg

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I'm after a knackered gearbox if anyone has one , I'm actually after the top section of the bellhousing as I need to hold the crank sensor in place when it goes on the dyno , so i'm after the top section of the bellhousing to hold the sensor and bolt it onto the engine , does anyone have a buggered gearbox I can get picked up , or has a box they can cut a section out for me

Getting desperate now as its holding me up taking the engine to the dyno

Cheers Ian

I'm after a knackered gearbox if anyone has one , I'm actually after the top section of the bellhousing as I need to hold the crank sensor in place when it goes on the dyno , so i'm after the top section of the bellhousing to hold the sensor and bolt it onto the engine , does anyone have a buggered gearbox I can get picked up , or has a box they can cut a section out for me

Getting desperate now as its holding me up taking the engine to the dyno

Cheers Ian
Ian does the sadev have the same crank sensor mounting point that the std box has? I know the sensors are different as they read a different trigger pattern. Which flywheel have you got fitted for the dyno, the std engine one or cup racer? If a std crank sensor is going to be used then can you not make a braket to mount it to the block? My car had a botched crank sensor which has oworked all season so I'm sure you'll manage for the dyno. I did see a knackered box on eBay the other week that was very cheap

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Ian does the sadev have the same crank sensor mounting point that the std box has? I know the sensors are different as they read a different trigger pattern. Which flywheel have you got fitted for the dyno, the std engine one or cup racer? If a std crank sensor is going to be used then can you not make a braket to mount it to the block? My car had a botched crank sensor which has oworked all season so I'm sure you'll manage for the dyno. I did see a knackered box on eBay the other week that was very cheap

Just picked up a knackered gearbox off a member on here and its only in cardiff so picking it up in the morning , yes its in the standard position , and is a standard sensor , I'm fitting a standard flywheel which makes it easier if it needs changing , I haven't long fitted a brand new flywheel to the engine that i've taken out but I have cut out the extra tooth so will leave that on the engine to sell

I have just dug out the race car suspension from the attic in the workshop , I'm looking to sell it , I have someone on here inquiring about it so will give them first shout , if they don't want it i'm selling it all for £500

They are just dusty from being stored

Cheers Ian

is it me or does the left coil over look bent ??

Bentley
That's super cool but I think a perfect sport car is a combination of advanced engineering with advanced technology for boosting the speed and performance of a race car on the road. Accelerationa and power is also a key factor for a quality sport that that will lead on the the racing track.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Finally managed to get the engine to the dyno yesterday in plymouth , it will take around a week to do so with the hold ups this week I'm going to struggle to get it back in the car and rolling roaded before christmas now , just seems to be dragging on now and getting fed up of it lol , I cut a section of gearbox out from the knackered box I bought off Jay Kay so managed to mount the crank sensor , that wasn't as straight forward as it should have been , the holes in the bellhousing are 12mm , but the bolts are only 10mm , when fitting the section onto the engine it was able to move all over the place as the bolts were loose in the holes , so I had to machine the end of some 12mm bolts down and re-tap them with a 10mm thread so they locate the bellhousing section in exactly the right place.

I ordered some Megane 225 injectors and got them overnight , but the spacer bar on the Jenveys are too long and the fuel rail didn't fit onto the injectors , so they are sending me a shorter set which I will just send onto the dyno guys , just need to put a pressure gauge on my fuel line now so I can tell the dyno guys the exact fuel pressure my car has so they can dyno it at the same pressure.

I have ordered a BTB twin box stealth exhaust which will be with me tomorrow , so I'll have to modify it to fit onto my 182 manifold , they are also sending me spare 182 flange as they think they are different to the 172 one , so I can fit on which one fits the manifold.

Had my wheels back from being sprayed , well I have had 12 of them done , i'll fit 4 on the car tomorrow and they can have the 4 that are currently on the car and do them as well , they have come out well

7B0C3BE4-5C98-4F92-9263-3159AC0927D7-3077-00000411753146EC.jpg

606FD049-929D-42C6-988B-8322D17AEC4B-3077-000004115D8B330B.jpg

1458E7A3-E8F9-47EA-9AFC-0B174803B6BB-3077-00000411541C35FF.jpg

Will be looking so nice with the respray on the car and wheels it will look too nice to use lol , and with the extra grunt , I can't wait to get it out on the stages now

182cup & 172 racecar
I actually uncovered the race car yesterday, looks really sad, covered in oily hand prints, no engine and box and it looks like it's done a years racing. :(

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I actually uncovered the race car yesterday, looks really sad, covered in oily hand prints, no engine and box and it looks like it's done a years racing. :(

Its really depressing when they are in that state , makes you wonder why you bother lol

Got the exhaust first thing this morning , got an extra flange and a short piece of pipe as well so it can be modified to fit the 182 manifold if needed

9AE5EF80-E4BA-4897-8232-C4FDE9C22CC7-652-0000009A5BB20D07.jpg

Looking at things realistically , I have pretty much accepted the fact that the new engine is not going to be back in and 100% ready for the rally on the 30th in Pembrey , so I have decided to refit the standard engine back in as soon as I get the gearbox back , what with the wiring loom needing finishing , the X dash setting up , taking the car to the rolling road to fine tune it , it needs mot'ing , and there's Christmas smack in the middle , so looks like it will be January now it will all be finished with the new engine , I can take it up Llandow for a test , then find a rally to do as a shakedown ready for the West Cork rally in Southern Ireland in March

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
How come you didn't fit the solid lifters then Ian?

Car's looking good after the paint job.

The solid lifters will be going in another engine in the new year , will be having an all steel engine built chasing big power to use on the real fast rallies I do

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Spoke to the dyno guy yesterday and I had to modify a flywheel to suit there dyno , the adaptors he has fit onto flywheels for AP competition clutches , so I have machined the standard flywheel and will send it up to them tomorrow , he's hoping to have it started before the weekend

7D92811C-9103-4C30-AB6E-CF46F0E57F1D-1689-000002ED0D65C231.jpg

I had to machine it down on the outer edge so there is a step where the clutch plate touches , then drill it to bolt the AP cover on , there dyno picks up on these points

I have just had my clutch plate redone with new pads , but I am going to see if I can get a proper AP racing clutch that will fit my setup as I now have a flywheel to suit , I have had some issues with even the Helix cover slipping when the weather is warm and the slicks are nice a sticky , it has slipped a few times at the stage start , so i'm thinking it would do it more with an extra 60-70hp.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Progressing.

Interesting on the clutch as i have has a 172 Helix clutch and cover for 3 year and never had slip infact im amazed its lasted so long (240bhp and 8 inch slicks! and a hard time). You have to be careful with Heilx as they dont ID part numbers so you can get a 172 or Megan or Cup racer plate and cover as they are very very similar and could would you say and a sloppy pedle. They sent me a Megane plate one and was OK at first but 0.5m different on the plates and had to take it out after 50miles.

Look forward to the results.!

The engine is being dynoed by Alvin in Plymouth who does all of John Reads Engines , and plenty of others , he did my Golf engine

I've got to clear that one up Ian! Alvin emphatically does not do John's engines, we often hire Alvin's dyno, but it's only John and I who map the engines, there's an important distinction to be made.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I've got to clear that one up Ian! Alvin emphatically does not do John's engines, we often hire Alvin's dyno, but it's only John and I who map the engines, there's an important distinction to be made.

sounds like your trying to distance yourself away from him , something I should know :D

Sorry got that wrong then , I guess its all his engines that are dynoed there , anyway he did a very good job dynoing my Golf engine , so I have no problems with him doing this engine.

Did you get any further on the clio engine ?

I'm very proud of the work I do with John, I'm sure you can understand why! The reason he brings me in to map with him is that we achieve exceptionally crisp results working together, the development cycle benefits both of us; but we operate as a bubble and nobody else gets access to the data/detail. It's not uncommon for people to try and associate themselves with our work or allow people to draw assumptions, about who actually does it. The real clincher in mapping terms though is the incar mapping we do after dynoing, the list of cars we've been able to do like that stand out.

Alvin's a friend of mine and been a tremendous help to me over the years. If you're happy with what he's done for you before, then that's the best reason to use him again.

The Clio engine I'm doing has been a victim of a demanding year for me, but the block is finally going together and will hopefully be ready to dyno soon. I'm already working on the next evolution already though!

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Got the gearbox back today so have started putting it back together with the standard engine so I can do the rally a week on sunday , needed a couple of gears and dog rings changing in the box as I used it when it wasn't changing gear properly so ended up with another bill ! should have taken it out and sent it back , would have done if i'd had more time .

Heard back from the dyno guy today , its nearly finished and should be tomorrow , so far its got 223hp at 6500rpm so is looking on target to make the 240hp I was hoping for , so fingers crossed for him to finish it tomorrow , just a real shame I don't have the time to fit it into the car and have all the other stuff done to make it work ready for Pembrey next week , but will look forward to using it on the next rally

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Its all done ready to collect tomorrow , had a problem of it chucking oil out of the breather at high revs so Fred spoke to them and they dropped the oil down slightly from max on the dip stick which stopped it doing it , before that they had mapped it to 7k and it was making 242hp , they thought it had more to come but it didn't , was the same at 7250 and dropped a couple of HP at 7500 , so the limit has been set at 7600.

So 242 hp and 178 lb ft of torque without having to rev the t1t's off it , well happy with that :D

Lionel Richie
That's a secret ;-) i think with a bit of messing with the cam timing it should have a bit more in there but meh, that'll do :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
That's gunna be quick, and it'll pass an MOT as well won't it, ie on Emissions, is this a Rally spec engine? great result well done Fred.

Regards Russ......

Well its been mapped to run as good as it can , he's doing the cold start this morning while i'm on my way up there so should be right everywhere , once the engine is fitted back in the car its going back to him to fine tune if needed on the rolling road and on the road , it might need some tweeks to allow for my exhaust ect.

MOT's are not a problem when you know the right people ;)

Fred told me a bit about your engine Ian... sounds mighty! It's gong to be silly quick :eek:) This build reminds me of the old F2 cars as well, although not quite there on the power yet... it'll come though ;o) Look forward to seeing it out. Which championship are you doing next year?