ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Hopefully the laguna hub will turn up tomorrow , yes I know about the insert , just looks like its sleeved down to suit the track rod end , will pop that out ready , had a good look and nothing else seems damaged which is quite surprising , would have thought it would bend the arm before snapping the hub

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
they are the people I ordered it from , I have given them the numbers cast into it and they are the same as the one they have , just hope they did manage to send them out today so I can get it tomorrow , R sport got back to me and said the proper hubs are available but from france , and have quoted me £160 + vat each for them now

Cup In bits
Hope you get on okay with it, would be good to know if the drive flange is the same as well then I could just buy off the shelf bearings.

I think you would have bent the arm if it wasn't the type of hit it took, it looked to have caught the inside of the concrete slab pulling the wheel outwards.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
They are Laguna hubs as stated with an insert fitted, think the R3/Twingo are the same or very similar. The bearing is also Laguna too just type in the code on the bearing in google. Rear hubs are Laguna (they changed to this set up as its a larger bearing and were getting failures with the std ones) but think your running intergrated discs now like the std 171/182.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
They are Laguna hubs as stated with an insert fitted, think the R3/Twingo are the same or very similar. The bearing is also Laguna too just type in the code on the bearing in google. Rear hubs are Laguna (they changed to this set up as its a larger bearing and were getting failures with the std ones) but think your running intergrated discs now like the std 171/182.

Yes I'm running the one piece rear discs now as no one knew what I needed to fix it after my bearing collapsed , R sport just told me that the parts were no longer available , and I'm changing bearings quite frequently now , now I know what rear hubs I need i'll fit the laguna ones.

Were the race car discs fitted to anything else then , as I was told they were a special item made by Alcon ??

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Right got the hub today , stripped the drive flange and bearing out of it , it was quite rusty so bead blasted it , the only mod it needs it to drill out the track rod hole to 16mm to fit the insert in , the ball joint fits in from the top on the laguna and from the bottom on the clio , the insert has a chamfer on the inner bore , so fitting the insert swaps the chamfer upside down in the hub.

Anyway , sprayed the hub black , fitted a new bearing , bead blasted the drive flange as well so its all looking pretty as well as functional lol , its all fitted and back together , will take it to have the tracking done in the morning , give it a wash and she's ready to rally saturday :D

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I have just dug out the race car suspension from the attic in the workshop , I'm looking to sell it , I have someone on here inquiring about it so will give them first shout , if they don't want it i'm selling it all for £500

E6C8DA7F-204E-474B-8BD8-F436365B6E17-6376-000005F5313320F7.jpg

They are just dusty from being stored

Cheers Ian

Cup In bits
I'd like to know the poundage on the springs to, they appear to be standard clio cup rate the the softer nurburgring dampers were yellow.

These are absolutely solid mark, when you jack the car down and it hits the ground, you would think there is steel rods in place of the struts.

Cup In bits
Should be close too 80nm front / 130nm rear (Mk2 Clio Cup)

There are numbers on the springs in that image ^

Blond moment, mine still have writing on them but never paid attention, it must say "super fu**ing hard" on them somewhere.

WANT!! What is the front bolt spacing?? Will they fit a Ph1 172?

No is the easy answer, you would need cup racer/laguna hubs, pure motorsport top mounts,RCA pins, uniball holders, longer shafts and cup tie rods and track rods lol or chop the mounting lugs of and have them re welded. The bolt spacing is 64mm and 34mm wide, the bolts are a thicker than 1*2 as well.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Front spring

BB40BD3D-C36E-4FF7-B203-6287B03F39F7-6376-000005FAE0D45736.jpg

Rear spring

CA6E436F-C51A-4007-BCBF-D69CE3006FB7-6376-000005FAD66DB03F.jpg

The bolt spacings don't fit the road car clio as the race cars has Laguna hubs , but it would be easy enough to have the lugs either redrilled and weld a washer in place so it did line up , or cut them off and fit new ones drilled to fit

The spacings on these are 65mm

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Front are 1000lbs rear are 500lbs from what i remember in the manual, if its not that then they will be very close. Stupidly hard anyway! £500 is a bargain though and all you need to make them fit a normal 172 is the Strut casing from Bilstein, they do make them as thats what B14's use. Ive fitted B14 inserts into my cup racer casings so i know it works.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Suspension is now sold.

Had a crap rally today , broke another driveshaft , the brand new guaranteed unbreakable one FFS !!

So will be on the phone to them monday and see what they have to say about it

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Tell me about it ! just after I started telling people how reliable it is , and how little it needs looking after it starts going t1ts up !

Oh well , its being stripped down now , engine and box out , box back to SWR to sort out the issue I have of it changing gear , hopefully I will get the engine back from Fred next week when he;s back from OZ , the car is going off to be sprayed as its looking a bit tatty now , so hopefully can get it all done and running ready for the Pembrey rally between christmas and new year.
Will order the new DTA ecu and X dash this week , and sort out a new engine loom for it , if I get no joy from the company who made the shaft for me , i'll get sadev to make me a new pair , that way I know they will be up to spec.

Hopefully with the full freshen up I can enjoy some trouble free motorsport again

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Get gripper to make your shafts. Say i sent you and will do you a deal never had on of their shafts break only the std cv.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Apparently the shafts from Elite are good to. But tbh i doubt the shafts from Sadev are even expensive, might even have them on the shelf.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
If you have the early gearbox with the gear linkage at the bottom of the box like mine , the shafts are only available to order , about a 10-12 week turnaround , if you have the later box , with the gear linkage on the top of the box they are available off the shelf and are £190 each + vat.

Now my car will be in bits for a while , i'll get some sadev ones made , and speak to the guy who made the one that snapped and see what he has to say

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Personally given your higher spec engine i wouldn't get sadev ones. Others i know who went to higher spec powers kept snapping and bought elsewhere. Although im sure they can make stronger ones.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I had been trying to speak to them for months about shafts for my Golf and they only got back to me once after sending about 10 emails to them , and everytime I rung I always got an answer machine and never rang me back , gave up in the end

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Not very good customer service is it really, shame cause the shafts are top notch from what ive heard. I think the Sadev shafts actually use GKN inner lobro's. Where abouts did the Sadev shaft actually break?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
On the outer spline , on the circlip groove , the same place my new one did , I asked the guy to move the circlip groove to the end of the shaft , I can't see the point in making the shaft diameter thinner by cutting a groove onto it , but he said it wouldn't be a problem and he guaranteed it wouldn't break there , well he didn't have an answer this morning when I spoke to him and told him it did break on the groove , except to say he would make a new one with the groove on the end as I originally asked for.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Beresford engineering or gripper made some for others i know (just send an example and they make a replica rather than them having a specific off the shelf item), plus im suprised about Sadev as im sure they get shafts made locally i believe to any length..... Every shaft i have snapped has gone on that groove. The gripper ones i have got now never had an issue.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Do your current shafts have the groove there , or did you have it changed so they are on the end of the shaft

Cup In bits
Your problem might lie in the way they are machined, is the groove machined with a radius or sharp/90 deg corners? Causes more stress at that point but I'm guessing you have used a lathe a fair bit with owning god speed an know that. That was one of the many points that I spoke about with gripper when they were telling me why there's are the best. They are also lifetime, I was quoted £500 to extend my standard shafts. Quite expensive comparing to £190 spoken about above for full sadev's.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Dont know for sure but the are the same profile as standard for the outer and inner CVs (pink car uses Jc5 box), its the material thats the main difference and gives the reliability.