ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Black Gold (no)mod thread

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
In other news, my daughter passed her driving test at the first attempt before Easter so the little 1.2 is piling on the miles now. It's nearly hit 40k!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Noticed a gap by the side skirt a while ago but couldn't figure out what was the cause.
IMG_20190629_114439.jpg

Well I figured it out today and it ain't pretty?.
IMG_20190629_114502.jpg

Jacking point is completely squished. FML?. I'll have to take the side skirt off to sort it without risking damage to the skirt.
In other news though:
Screenshot_20190629_171320.jpg

???

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I had the same paul. All I did was remove the side skirt (2 torx on the edge behind the wheel and a few rivets down the skirt and it pulls off) and then use some mole grips to twist the jacking points as straight as I could. Then refitted. Just buy some normal rivets from toolstation or similar and paint them black. No one will know. Think I used 4.8mm x 20mm or 16mm, I cant remember now.

Oh recaros.... nice!!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I had the same paul. All I did was remove the side skirt (2 torx on the edge behind the wheel and a few rivets down the skirt and it pulls off) and then use some mole grips to twist the jacking points as straight as I could. Then refitted. Just buy some normal rivets from toolstation or similar and paint them black. No one will know. Think I used 4.8mm x 20mm or 16mm, I cant remember now.

Oh recaros.... nice!!
Yeah I'm going to take the skirt off tomorrow and hopefully I won't find anything horrifying behind it. I need to get the car cleaned tomorrow as it's minging at the moment!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Will we be seeing the recaros at csf paul?
They weigh a metric f**k tonne so I'm not taking them out pal ?. As I've no where to store the standard seats they are being passed on tomorrow so I guess when I'm done with 182 ownership it'll be getting broken anyway?. That'll not be for a while yet though as the wife has a home improvement plan as long as a really long thing so my Meg 4 plan has gone to s**t ?. Maybe?.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Just buy some normal rivets from toolstation or similar and paint them black. No one will know. Think I used 4.8mm x 20mm or 16mm, I cant remember now.

Some here:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I took the side skirt off today and straightened out the Jacking point as best I could so the skirt will sit right again. It needs a proper fix before it gets battered even more when it needs to go to a garage for anything. At least its not rusted into dust yet.
IMG_20190630_115050.jpg

While I was there I undid the two bolts at the bottom of the front wing and holy cow was there a lot of crap in there!
IMG_20190630_121257.jpg

I'll have to do the other side at some point as it's an easy way to save a couple of kg's! ?.
I then gave the car a quick wash and once it had dried I slapped some hammerite on the bare metal. I've got some bolts that will fit to hold the skirt on until I sort some rivets for it (probably in a year or so?) which I'll do tomorrow.
Inhad a look at my daughters Clio and it seems the garage that looked after it all its life have taken more care!
IMG_20190630_121324.jpg

Just as it left the factory 16 years ago! ?

I need to clean inside my car tomorrow, fit some new side repeaters and no plate lamp and black the trim and it's ready for csf. Hopefully?.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Pope's to the shops this morning. Those side skirt bracket things are lethal, I nearly lost a leg!
IMG_20190701_104619.jpg

?Skirts back on now (the car, not me?) and interior cleaned. 2.3 minutes of rain fell today so the car looks filthy again?. Hopefully will have time for a quick wash Friday.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
I've temporarily fixed them with some M5 x20 bolts. Will definatly be swapping them for rivets though because they'll be a tw@ to get off once rusted.
4.8x20 rivet are the ones you need mate.

Thanks mate for your help, I will get some ordered.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
I’ve just ordered a box of black 14mm head peel rivets for these. You ideally want to use Peel rivets as they’re designed for clamping softer materials such as plastic and wood.
I’ll be doing this job soon and spraying the sills with Bilt Hamber before refitting.

Where do you get these from?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
After having my leg stitched back on I refitted the side skirt and the big gap has gone?. I'll remove the other side one at some point just to clean all the crap out as it seems worth doing with all that accumulated that fell out.
IMG_20190713_141355.jpg

Before CSF I actually fitted some new parts I'd had in my box for a few months. On went a brand new number plate lamp, which didn't work because the connector was full of green corrosion. A bit of contact cleaner and a bit of wire and it was fixed and looking much better.
IMG_20190713_141326.jpg

I'd also removed the side repeaters previously to clean behind them and they'd never really sat flush so I ordered some new ones. I agonised over clear or tinted but decide to stick with dark ones in the end. They didn't sit flush either but a little bit of trimming of some tabs on the back had them fitting perfectly.
IMG_20190713_141336.jpg

The last thing I had to do before CSF was fit my new seats. And as I was asked several times at CSF, yes Recaro CS Sportster do fit in a mk2 clio?. All you need are some quality adaptors from @JON FOZ and deep pockets. ? I bought a pair that had been removed from a 197 F1 prior to the car being sold! The centres of them match the 182 seat centres quite nicely and they definatly look more at home than EVO Trendlines do?. Unfortunately being from a Renault they included a hole in the drivers base bolster. Only one hole in a pair of seats seems quite good going though so I'm not too unhappy about that! I've done a pikey stitch up to prevent it getting worse until I look into a retrim probably next year and I've swapped the bases so the worn one is on the passenger side now. The frames had 2007 stickers on and both bases had 2009 on them so they were obviously replaced under warrenty before.
They are super comfortable for a slim guy like me and the lower seating position is much better too. I'm well happy with them. Thanks to @mossyv6 for letting me have a test sit in his storm grey last year?.
IMG_20190713_141419.jpg

The pretensioners need covering to finish them off and I reckon some steel covers will look best so I'm going to draw something up and see if I can get them made at work.
IMG_20190713_141442.jpg

My days as a seamstress are behind me obviously ?.
IMG_20190713_141500.jpg

Next up attention to be paid to the rear end.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Nice update Paul @0ss

Glad you didn't give in and got them fitted. Have you managed to find anywhere for the material?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Nice update Paul @0ss

Glad you didn't give in and got them fitted. Have you managed to find anywhere for the material?
According to capital seating the Renault material for the bolsters is no longer available?. I'll find a local upholsterer and see what they can find that's close to it next year. I don't like to rush these things you know?.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
According to capital seating the Renault material for the bolsters is no longer available?. I'll find a local upholsterer and see what they can find that's close to it next year. I don't like to rush these things you know?.
2026 and you might have it sewn together and your Brembos on ?