ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Clio Mid engined VR6 Turbo build

renault clio 182
I'm stuck for words this is absolutely awesome!!! What a true engineering masterpiece you sir are a legend!

Would love too see some people's faces when a mk1 Clio destroys them lol

I'm stuck for words this is absolutely awesome!!! What a true engineering masterpiece you sir are a legend!

Would love too see some people's faces when a mk1 Clio destroys them lol

Thanks m8, shame i haven't seen their faces either, since they're playing catch up lol ;-)

Abarth 500 Esseesse
I remember you telling me about this at EFI back in February.

Absolutely astounding stuff mate. Told you everyone would love it! :approve:

Bit of an update....

A fair bit of work has been done to improve the clio's handiling characteristics recently. When she first hit the road, the handling was interesting to say the least ! Over 50-60 mph and the car felt scarily twitchy. The trip to french car show was a long one ! it felt as if the front was too light and also that there could be some movement at the rear. I tried various camber and toe settings with not much joy, so set about altering the front caster angle.

I redrilled the front wishbones and then repositioned the lower balljoints further forward, crudely but effectively increasing the caster angle to around 5 degrees. The difference was amazing, all of sudden i had a useable car and it feels much better up to and over 100. I still think it would benefit from even more caster, but for that i'll either need to hack the turrets up, or fit some adjustable top mounts......

I'll add pics of the modification later on

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
was it a VAG box as well? very surprised it went pop as they are supposedly strong as the proverbial ox :)

Well, as many of you already know, i managed to strip all the teeth from 5th gear on Sunday...... It was a day that was destined to fail from the off...... while driving over to Efi-Parts the car developed a misfire and i felt it was caused by some recently changed spark plugs, so once i arrived at scoff's for around 9:30 we made a few phone calls, and managed to source some replacement NGK's. A trip down Runcorn and i swapped them over. Quick road test, and the problem seems cured....... so i heads back to give a white knuckle ride to one of the lads and lo and behold, 120mph, 5th gear, s**t loads of torque and a nasty road undulation i didn't know about equals a wrecked gearbox. oops :-(

Still not giving up, i jacked up the car, unbolted the gearbox end cover and tried to clean out the swarf and bits of teeth. after bolting it back on and testing it up on the industrial estate, the broken teeth were still clattering around inside so decided it wasn't worth the risk of running her on the rollers or attempting the drive home either. Luckily i have AA cover, so the patrol came out and dragged us back to Yorkshire.

Overall, A good day, and really good to meet some new people

Couple of pics

Some of the recovered teeth lol

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
poor wee thing!

I know theres more traction etc i'm just a tad surprised is all, it wasn't an off the line job so its simple torque application that's done it, already rolling in gear, thought it'd take way more than that

the reason i'm interested is obviously a common thing now is to fit the VAG box to the F7/F4 series when turbo'd and I had this image of complete indestructability essentially of the VAG boxes. having seen scoffs s**t out 700bhp+ and the box take it on drag slicks at pod I figured they must be hardy. but seeing a relatively low power and new build dropping a box so soon is making me shift my expectations of the VAG boxes and perhaps it isn't as bullet proof an option as I thought!

Really gutted for you mate.

I know little about this sort of build, but I have to say it looked absolutely fantastic!

As I said to a few people, it almost looks OEM, it looks like it's meant to be there, and it works so well. Hope you're up and running soon enough :)

poor wee thing!

I know theres more traction etc i'm just a tad surprised is all, it wasn't an off the line job so its simple torque application that's done it, already rolling in gear, thought it'd take way more than that

the reason i'm interested is obviously a common thing now is to fit the VAG box to the F7/F4 series when turbo'd and I had this image of complete indestructability essentially of the VAG boxes. having seen scoffs s**t out 700bhp+ and the box take it on drag slicks at pod I figured they must be hardy. but seeing a relatively low power and new build dropping a box so soon is making me shift my expectations of the VAG boxes and perhaps it isn't as bullet proof an option as I thought!

A boosted vr6 motor puts out way more torque than a boosted f4r or f7r. Mine was 430lbs/ft at 18psi. Also i'm running an standard fit VR6 O2A gearbox, just with a quaife fitted. The O2M is a much stronger gearbox. I'm looking at converting to an O2M now, so we'll see......

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ah fair enough chap, its just all food for thought is all, if I ever decide to go for more boost I need a decent box and I had VAG as the way forward, just need to ensure I get the right one by sounds of it and I should be laughing!

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I was gutted for you yesterday mate :( It looked fantastic, such a clean and tidy install too. I was the lad who lent you my socket set btw lol.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Nice to have a crack with you mate, hopefully ul have it sorted asap.. Look forward to seeing it again! with its new gear set in :rasp:

Nice to have a crack with you mate, hopefully ul have it sorted asap.. Look forward to seeing it again! with its new gear set in :rasp:

Think it'll be nxt year when she's back on the road though now. I'm planning on pulling the motor out and repainting the whole car over the winter.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Think it'll be nxt year when she's back on the road though now. I'm planning on pulling the motor out and repainting the whole car over the winter.

Yeah you mentioned about spraying it.. any ideas on colour?

Not sure, i wanted to change colour to a grey or dark blue, but everyone seems to tell me to leave it black ! I suppose the standard OEM look is all part of the cars look. Non standard colour and bodywork mods may kinda ruin that.....

Fabia VRS & Yeti
What a brilliant piece or workmanship and engineering, equally unhinged at the same time - I love it!
It's a shame to hear about the gearbox but I'm sure you'll be back up and running soon!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
ah fair enough chap, its just all food for thought is all, if I ever decide to go for more boost I need a decent box and I had VAG as the way forward, just need to ensure I get the right one by sounds of it and I should be laughing!

You're not reading it right mate, he has the older 02a. It's the 5-speed gearbox which is original on the vr6.
they are known to break above 350hp so actually it isn't bad with his rwd conversion.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
The 02A / 02Js arn't quite as bullet proof as the later 6 speed things. I broke 3x 3rd gears in an 02J, never seen 5th breaking so it was unexpected but andy will be fine on an 02M if he can shoe horn it in there.

Only recently Jordie with his 9sec 4x4 800hp scirocco started to break 4th gear on the track in his 02M. He's just swapped up to SQS gears and touch wood they're holding up.

Last edited:
  R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
There is a guy in Germany with 4x4 1000+hp on sqs gears so i reckon they'll hold :)

Search Bobaturbo or bobamotoring on youtube

whats your name? i remember selling some vr6 bits to a guy building a clio vr6 project

It's Andy m8, and yeah it was me you sold the bits to...... A VR6 subframe which is now fitted to the clio, and an engine with a rod out of the side for spares if i remember rightly :)