ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Clio Mid engined VR6 Turbo build

Qashcow
I feel I need to say something but nothing useful or sensible comes out my lips. That is incredible craftsmanship, hats off to you sir

Arctic Blue FF 182
As above! Fantastic work and I can't wait till I get a chance to build something mad!

Hats off to you and I look forward to seeing more video's and pictures of it!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice seeing you on here.

Was very impressed by the car at fcs when I was chattin to you.

Must be epic fun if my nova is anything to go by. :)

Chips Nova Vs Overboosts Clio needs to happen would be epic.

Great car, love the engineering that's gone into it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chips Nova Vs Overboosts Clio needs to happen would be epic.

Great car, love the engineering that's gone into it.

His car is a work of art compared to mine. Far better.

Altgough apparently he did copy my rear suspension tweaks so at least my old shed was useful for something. Lol.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yep fabrication skills I could only dream of. Hence me paying other people to do mine.

Rb 182
That’s very very impressive.

I had a good look round it at FCS and was blown away with the level of craftsmanship.

Wow, thanks for all the positive comments. As everyone is probably aware of now, the car made the journey to French Car show at Donington, and spent the day inside the paddock suite. It drove hitch free, although it's prompted me to look into some suspension tweaks. The car has always been planned as a road car, and possibly a daily driver. Track days and drag strip use are just added bonuses ;-)

I modified the front suspension arm balljoint position to increase castor, which has had a huge effect on the cars straight line stability at speed. I'm still convinced the wishbone bushes are moving around under power and cornering, so currently i'm fitteing some spherical bearings into the wishbones. Hopefully this will be sorted for the RTOC frog of the pod day in september. Will post some pics up of the progress.

Cheers again guys

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wow, thanks for all the positive comments. As everyone is probably aware of now, the car made the journey to French Car show at Donington, and spent the day inside the paddock suite. It drove hitch free, although it's prompted me to look into some suspension tweaks. The car has always been planned as a road car, and possibly a daily driver. Track days and drag strip use are just added bonuses ;-)

I modified the front suspension arm balljoint position to increase castor, which has had a huge effect on the cars straight line stability at speed. I'm still convinced the wishbone bushes are moving around under power and cornering, so currently i'm fitteing some spherical bearings into the wishbones. Hopefully this will be sorted for the RTOC frog of the pod day in september. Will post some pics up of the progress.

Cheers again guys

I think its a case of the more caster you can get the better with cars like this, it totally transformed by nova when I added a load more caster with eccentric top mounts (and then chopped them about to allow them to go beyond their normal max setting)

I'd definitely look at seeing what you can do with the top mounts to really increase caster as well as the bottom arms.

Spherical bearings sound like a good way to go, anything to get rid of suspension play is going to really help the handling.

His car is a work of art compared to mine. Far better.

Altgough apparently he did copy my rear suspension tweaks so at least my old shed was useful for something. Lol.

Hello m8 ! how's things ? Good to meet u at FCS. Thanks for the praise, I can't believe mine is far better than your's, mine looks tatty to me and in need of serious tidying up lol.

And yeah, like i said to you at FCS, i think the rear suspension tweaks are a big key to keeping the rear geometry in check. ;-)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hello m8 ! how's things ? Good to meet u at FCS.

Great thanks mate, glad to see you are still progressing it, was great meeting you too.

Thanks for the praise, I can't believe mine is far better than your's, mine looks tatty to me and in need of serious tidying up lol.

Flol, if you think yours is tatty, then you'd want to weigh mine in, LOL

And yeah, like i said to you at FCS, i think the rear suspension tweaks are a big key to keeping the rear geometry in check. ;-)

Definately, but extra caster on the front is certainly key too, especially to braking stability, mine was utterly horrible under braking when it had very little caster as there is no front end weight.

Definately, but extra caster on the front is certainly key too, especially to braking stability, mine was utterly horrible under braking when it had very little caster as there is no front end weight.

Yeah, there's around 4.5 degrees caster now up front, adjustable top mounts maybe allow another 1 degree or so ..... The first gen Clio V6 had 5 degrees caster, Renault changed it to 6 degrees on the later model. I'm really hoping for these spherical bearings to transform the car, Fingers crossed !

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
4.5 sound a good starting point before even fitting the top mounts :)

How did you do the arms?

This is a copy and paste from my build thread of how I did the ones on my turbo 172 ph1:

chip said:
Ive altered the wishbones now, I was looking at cup ones to begin with which add a little more caster but decided to modify my own instead.

It gives 35mm more caster done like I have done it, compared to the standard ph1 wishbone, which is about double the cup changes.

However, you could actually add another 15mm to that if you accepted slightly losing some track, by elongating the inner hole backwards instead of outwards but I didnt want the extra caster enough to compromise a few mm of track width to get it.

This is how I did it:

Drilled a new outer hole, and elongated the existing inner one slightly, and trial fitted the balljoint both there and in the original place so I could take some measurements.

AF1E413E-60AD-4F35-9A08-2430B1BC21F6-5791-000004C6C9ED24CA.jpg

Then I plug welded the original outer hole (TBH you really dont need to im sure, there was quite a bit of meat between the holes but I can so I did)

FCE3348B-BF6A-4380-9AFB-BFC901BFE9BC-5791-000004C7210A1ADA.jpg

Then I used a power file to make sure there were no highpoints that the balljoint might touch and not sit flat

5F353E26-F9F0-46C6-8A0C-0C7E80ADDC0F-5791-000004C72815ABA0.jpg

Then I gave it a quick paint just to stop it rusting

E24F58F5-97DA-49EE-8750-6058836738ED-5791-000004C72F711191.jpg

Then while I was stood around feeling quite pleased with myself with how it had turned out (Im no fabricator TBH, just do bits and pieces) Mike from MWM who is staying with us this weekend proceeded to do just as neat a job (better if anything) of the other one in half the time, damn him and his expert welding skills, lol

How the end result looks:

D863AA4F-74D5-470F-8A58-B1F5B8E2D2C0-7916-000005A0DE13D5EB.jpg

Handling feels a lot more sure footed now, its very stable under braking, and obviously I can now run less static camber which is good for straight line grip.

Very pleased with the results although ive got lots of rubbing to sort out.

Did it the same way m8, putting the new hole in exactly the same place, although i did replate up the arm where the balljoint flange wasn't touching it, if that makes any sense !? Side view looks like the wheel is too far forward, same as yours.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Did it the same way m8, putting the new hole in exactly the same place, although i did replate up the arm where the balljoint flange wasn't touching it, if that makes any sense !?

Not really TBH, mine seemed to be in good contact at both mounting holes.
Got any pics showing what you mean?

Side view looks like the wheel is too far forward, same as yours.

Yeah they look broken with that much caster.

The VW boys will probably start doing it soon just for the look, lol

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
on a side note, I presume the car has to be re-tracked once the caster is added?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
on a side note, I presume the car has to be re-tracked once the caster is added?

Yes mate, it makes them toe out when you move it forwards like this as it moves the steering arm further away from the rack.

I just did 2 turns of extra toe in per side as a ballpark which seemed to be about right, but I will be getting it tracked again before bedford on friday next week rather than leave it to guesswork.
It might handle even better once the tracking is done if my couple of turns guess was far out of course :)

Not really TBH, mine seemed to be in good contact at both mounting holes.
Got any pics showing what you mean?

Yeah they look broken with that much caster.

The VW boys will probably start doing it soon just for the look, lol

No pics, but will take some nxt time it's in bits. Lol @ the VW boys stealing the look