ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Clio Mid engined VR6 Turbo build

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
Car won't be ready by then :( might have to pop down for a look.

What sort of finale power figure do you think your car will produce, must be a fair bit more to come from the gt40.

Car won't be ready by then :( might have to pop down for a look.

What sort of finale power figure do you think your car will produce, must be a fair bit more to come from the gt40.

I'll be happy if it's breaks the 500hp mark. If it breaks doing it then i won't be lol

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5
Should smash 500 bhp, there are plenty of 3.2 lumps making well over 500 with gt35's, my mates(3.2) should be close to 500 when he gets a more free flowing exhaust and that's with a gt30. I wouldn't of thought the 2.9 will be that far behind.:)

Should smash 500 bhp, there are plenty of 3.2 lumps making well over 500 with gt35's, my mates(3.2) should be close to 500 when he gets a more free flowing exhaust and that's with a gt30. I wouldn't of thought the 2.9 will be that far behind.:)

I don't doubt it m8, the only thing that could cause me issues is the setting up of the VNT. It's not the easiest thing to set up, and i'm also running an external wastegate. :(

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Yes mate, it makes them toe out when you move it forwards like this as it moves the steering arm further away from the rack.

I just did 2 turns of extra toe in per side as a ballpark which seemed to be about right, but I will be getting it tracked again before bedford on friday next week rather than leave it to guesswork.
It might handle even better once the tracking is done if my couple of turns guess was far out of course :)

ai figured it would knock the tracking out, simple physics like ;) nice to have a ball park and tbh its fairly simple to track by eye to get it close enough to run about in prior to a proper track up with the sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads :)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Wow - cracking read!

May I suggest some it would look MUCHO better on a set of Turbines - would look totally standard and very able to upset a few people!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
really awesome project m8!

had a little chat with you at the end of the day when you left the Lassa stand for photo's :cool:
do the oil coolers get significant cooling air there?

i'm seriously thinking into rwd'ing my gtt although the Netherlands law isn't that easy:dapprove:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

had a little chat with you at the end of the day when you left the Lassa stand for photo's :cool:

i'm seriously thinking into rwd'ing my gtt although the Netherlands law isn't that easy:dapprove:

The difference in grip off the line when you move the engine to the other end is certainly very significant.

Wow - cracking read!

May I suggest some it would look MUCHO better on a set of Turbines - would look totally standard and very able to upset a few people!

Love the turbines m8, but i'm gonna convert it to 5 stud, with VW hubs up front, so that pretty much f***s that idea over ! That way i can use bigger CV joints, And bolt bigger brakes on up front easier ;-)

The difference in grip off the line when you move the engine to the other end is certainly very significant.

Absolutely unbelievable grip tbh m8. Mine only runs 195 section tyres and it puts the lot down in first and second ! I did expect to have to widen the arches, but so far so good .....

Ahh yes i remember m8. I think i was rushing to get off too, so sorry for the quick departure.

The oil coolers currently seem ok, although how they will cope on a track is to be tested. I'm guessing that as the air flows underneath the car, there will be a depression once it reaches the rear engine bay, and hopefully draw the air up into them. Plans are in motion for some ducts to guide the air up to them as a backup plan.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
yeah i think so, but atleast you blipped the throttle so was a nice ending of the day :p

i had the idea of putting an airscoop in the front bumper (like brake ducts) and run a flexible pipe trough the tunnel to aid with cooling..

how do you get it on plates in the UK? in the Netherlands it's fairly easy to get an other engine on plates (if car is <1997) however i have no idea how the tester would look when i open up the boot :quiet:

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team

that's my thought exactly. however it'll bring other complications with it but i guess it's more 'because i can'.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Love the turbines m8, but i'm gonna convert it to 5 stud, with VW hubs up front, so that pretty much f**ks that idea over ! That way i can use bigger CV joints, And bolt bigger brakes on up front easier ;-)

get a set of grand scenic 300mm disks and Peugeot 4-pots. pretty cheap and simple...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
get a set of grand scenic 300mm disks and Peugeot 4-pots. pretty cheap and simple...

With 500bhp, I dont think 15 inch wheels and cheap brakes are a great idea TBH.

Ive stuck with 16s on mine, seems a good compromise between not being too big for handling and not being too small for brakes.

brakesandwheels.jpg

oncar.jpg

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Cheap doesn't have to equal bad :)

Those brembo's are designed to stop a 1450kg car so would be significant enough imo

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheap doesn't have to equal bad :)

Those brembo's are designed to stop a 1450kg car so would be significant enough imo

Agreed they are good calipers, Ive used them on other things, but the 300mm disks are a compromise especially if it is a solid steel one not an ally bell IMHO

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Are you going to santa pod on the 2nd andy ?

I'll tell you all something, I've driven some quick cars over the years but in 1st and 2nd gear this thing is something else :)

172 Ph1
Wow just read the whole thread and I'm stuck for words. Bloody fantastic build and great workmanship of yours has gone in to building this Epic motor.
I'd also like to see this in the flesh, earlier in the posts you mentioned Bedford , what date are you attending ?

Are you going to santa pod on the 2nd andy ?

I'll tell you all something, I've driven some quick cars over the years but in 1st and 2nd gear this thing is something else :)

Hey up lad ! Hopefully be at pod on the 2nd, although it doesn't look like i'll be running the clio. Been on with some suspension tweaks, and tbh they aint made a right lot of difference :-( Another quick test to try before i take time out, but i should still be there even if i don't run the car. Are you going down ?

Wow just read the whole thread and I'm stuck for words. Bloody fantastic build and great workmanship of yours has gone in to building this Epic motor.
I'd also like to see this in the flesh, earlier in the posts you mentioned Bedford , what date are you attending ?

Not going to bedford ??? But fingers crossed will be down at santa pod on the 2nd september.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
you best be running chap ;) i'll be there hopefully, ripping up the pod! roll on the 2nd!

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Hey up lad ! Hopefully be at pod on the 2nd, although it doesn't look like i'll be running the clio. Been on with some suspension tweaks, and tbh they aint made a right lot of difference :-( Another quick test to try before i take time out, but i should still be there even if i don't run the car. Are you going down ?

Yeah I'll be there on the 2nd, catch up with you then m8. AndyRG, see you there if youre going too :)