ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Little photography project anyone can try...

White APE
Think I might try again this weekend, is sure one that needs patience and a whole lot of luck!!

Too True!! As you can see from my above post i threw a paddy when i couldnt get it right! Got there in the end after over 100 shots!

Clio
Football was off this afternoon so I decided to have another little play.

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

And my favourite... shame I was to lazy to clean the water really.

IMG_1847.jpg

As the water was pretty much grey I decided to try a few different things aswell

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Kitchen is now right mess!!

Clio
Had a go at croppingone but looks a little noisy and not as sharp as everyone elses!!... not easy this photography lark..

IMG_1847_crop.jpg

Right, time to revive this I think.

I am new to the wonderful world of photography. this was my first challenge. epic fail.

how the hell are all these so crisp? I had a few "focus" issues. I tried all sorts of settings etc but they just look blurry and rubbish.

I dont have a macro lens but neither did the original poster and his were awesome.

This is not as easy as I first thought.

Advice required?

Im using a 450D with a 50mm 1.8 lens. dont seem to be able to get close enough to get the shots some people are getting.

Nimbus 197
Right, time to revive this I think.

I am new to the wonderful world of photography. this was my first challenge. epic fail.

how the hell are all these so crisp? I had a few "focus" issues. I tried all sorts of settings etc but they just look blurry and rubbish.

I dont have a macro lens but neither did the original poster and his were awesome.

This is not as easy as I first thought.

Advice required?

Im using a 450D with a 50mm 1.8 lens. dont seem to be able to get close enough to get the shots some people are getting.

Go for the closest focussing distance your lens is capable of and prefocus using manual focus.

Stick a pen in the middle, focus on that, then remove the pen and turn AF off.

Your camera can't focus quick enough to capture the drops so it will just search and not catch anything.

Depends what camera you have as I'm not 100% sure you can turn it off on the D40/D60 as there's no motor in the body (I couldn't find the option anyway)

I have a Canon 450D and the AF is on the lens so I will be able to turn it off.

So, as im a noob. What's the difference between using AF to focus then switching to manual - and leaving in AF, pressing the button halfway to focus, then dropping the water and pressing the rest of the way?

My shots were too blurry. horrible. wish I had talent.

Revels seems to have some skills :)

I followed your strawberry post and was gonna give that a go aswell :)

Nimbus 197
Depends what camera you have as I'm not 100% sure you can turn it off on the D40/D60 as there's no motor in the body (I couldn't find the option anyway)

The switch is on the lens for AF-s lenses.

So, as im a noob. What's the difference between using AF to focus then switching to manual - and leaving in AF, pressing the button halfway to focus, then dropping the water and pressing the rest of the way?

You've just mentioned the difference...you have to hold the button down to lock focus! Switching on to manual means you can take your hand off the button and do whatever you need to prep the shot...

But if thats the only difference, I still dont get why my photos were stupidly out of focus.

It still got the splash etc... just shoddy quality.

Ill give it another blast tonight.

Depends where you focused to start with. Have you ever tried to focus on something the same colour as the background? You can hear it spinning and trying to focus but it can't quite manage it?

Basically as the droplet falls, it will try and focus but might get a big of the background, then droplet, then glass, depending on your angle, focus etc but it's not quick enough to focus and shoot to catch it.

If you set the focus for where the droplet will land, then turn the af off, then it won't try anymore and will be focusing. Then just hold the shutter, drop, then let go and check to see what you have. Curse because you didn't get the shot you wanted and try again! Lol

If all else fails, stick it at f22. Most things are in focus then ;)

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Can't believe this thread has been running for near on two years....love it.

here are my efforts
drop1.jpg

drop4.jpg

drop5.jpg

drop6.jpg

LY 182 FF CUPPED
The reason a lot of you are getting droplets out of focus is also down to the flash power output/ flash duration...it is bit of a science, but in simple terms.......

my top tip of the day is turn the power right down on your flash gun, and move the flash closer - it will improve the sharpness of the drops massively.

So if you are using a ratio of 1:1 at say 3 feet, try switching to a ratio of 1:64 at approx 8inches (approx)

Ignore your shutter speed for this type of shooting as it has no influence on what you are doing - here we are dealing with flash speed.

Flash fires approx at 1/30,000 of a second when powered down, more than enough to freeze water droplets.

Stick your camera on bulb - 400 iso - F11, and flash settings as above and control the light with your flash to subject distance.

there are some good tips on here, Kev is a local photographer to me with years and years of experience.

Also check out his Pellet photography....that is talent!!!!

http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress/tips-and-trick/water-droplet-photography/

Last edited:
  renault clio
Some of these shots are awesome, got a day off today and mum's out so will nick her camera new one :D sure she wont mind when she sees the results. Cant believe the thread's been going 2 years.

The reason a lot of you are getting droplets out of focus is also down to the flash power output/ flash duration...it is bit of a science, but in simple terms.......

my top tip of the day is turn the power right down on your flash gun, and move the flash closer - it will improve the sharpness of the drops massively.

So if you are using a ratio of 1:1 at say 3 feet, try switching to a ratio of 1:64 at approx 8inches (approx)

Ignore your shutter speed for this type of shooting as it has no influence on what you are doing - here we are dealing with flash speed.

Flash fires approx at 1/30,000 of a second when powered down, more than enough to freeze water droplets.

Stick your camera on bulb - 400 iso - F11, and flash settings as above and control the light with your flash to subject distance.

I'm not doubting you as you're a pro, but surely shutter speed is still important?

Agreed about flash power though. I tend to go for 1/64 because then at 500ths it will still fire with every press of the shutter and doesn't skip one because it's repowering.

I do it at 200 ISO. f1.8. 500ths.

But I guess different things work for different people.

Shame I have the gym before home time as I wanna have another go. I also have the girlfriend trying it. lol CS photo games FTW.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Actually this is kind of work is not my forte, I do it for fun so don't confess to be an expert.

I have only gone from what my friend has on his blog and it has worked for me.

Something he also mentions is ambient light impacting on shutter speed, so the Bulb setting works better in a totally blacked out room.
If you read his blog I think he mentions 2 or 3 different techniques, and what you are saying is also true.

if you think about it logically - lower flash power settings are much quicker that that of a full power.?

A lower flash setting of say 1:64 is firing at approx 1/30,000 of a second ( still with me?) so having a shutter speed of 1/500th is irrelevant. It is the flash exposure that is "freezing" the water drop not the shutter.
All the shutter is doing is controlling the ambient.

here he explains it far better than I can.

http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress/tips-and-trick/water-droplet-photography/flash-and-motion-blur/

and here is how good his work is

all of his camera settings are below each image NOTE: how low his shutter speeds are.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23362014@N06/sets/72157622430455740/

Last edited:
TBH, I have no clue. i just couldn't imagine 1/10th catching a droplet that's sharp. Regardless of flash speeds. Obviously I'm wrong! :S

I've only ever tried at 500ths as that's the fastest my flash will sync with and just presumed that you'd need it fast. I used to try it before I got my flash and was using 4000ths to freeze, so just a continuation really.

I know you're right but I just can't seem to get my head around it. I'll stick with 500ths! Lol.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
try it my way.

slow things down a little.......stick your camera on Bulb, f11, 1/64.flash ...turn the lights down low(getting all romantic now lol) leave he shutter open for 20 seconds or so...fire your flash and drop the water in unison...and the shot will be PIN SHARP - trust me.
Rather than firing off hundreds of images, by slowing things down you will concentrate more on drop pattern, lighting , reflections etc.

chop chop

OK, so I gave it another go. They are better but not great. I blame the materials I used :rasp:

Anyways, here is a preview of a couple. I too had to crop them due to the lack of a macro lens.

4277017363_1ab05443ea_m.png

4277763488_73a670ef05_m.png

4277017225_ce28ef2d60_m.png

Nimbus 197
try it my way.

slow things down a little.......stick your camera on Bulb, f11, 1/64.flash ...turn the lights down low(getting all romantic now lol) leave he shutter open for 20 seconds or so...fire your flash and drop the water in unison...and the shot will be PIN SHARP - trust me.
Rather than firing off hundreds of images, by slowing things down you will concentrate more on drop pattern, lighting , reflections etc.

chop chop

Interesting, I'm gonna give this technique a go. I normally use Revel's technique.

Lol. I wouldn't trust me.

I don't really know what I'm doing or the proper way to do things. I just know how I want things to look and sometimes manage to achieve it.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Planet x is right in terms of flash speed being quicker than shutter speed. That's why you adjust the shutter speed to alter the ambient light levels in a mixed flash/ambient photo, as it doesn't effect the flash lit area of the photo.

[youtube]Xnn5nzPvoIM[/youtube]

(Relevant bit starts about 4 minutes in.)

Last edited:
  Oil Burner
I've just given this another go, failed again, only really got one shot i liked:

Struggling not having any off camera flash or a macro lens. Only a 50 1.8 and a 270 flash on the body.

765825551_oSo78-L.jpg

Oil Burner
I just had another quick go at it with some different background. Couldnt find a plain red background unfortunately, Ended up getting the best few (more through luck than judgment) with black and blue. Unfortunately neither were as clean as the above shot.

765935915_kT3Jm-L.jpg

765934672_PpvFE-L.jpg