ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Little photography project anyone can try...

Oil Burner
Must use a clean mug and water, lol you can see a cat hair in both pics

Just need to get it as the coin breaks the surface.

Also wish i could use a shutter speed faster than 1/200 with my flash.
img0066editedje1.jpg

img0064editedmo6.jpg

Last edited:
  LY182/NHB CTR
ace photos folks I would love to join in and have a go however somehow I can't see it working with my little Sony DSCO camera lol..

I've had a quick go too. struggled to get the focus a fair bit. here's my fav's..

Pic #5 is awesome, the green looks fantastic.

As Pete says, the best way to focus is to stick it in manual focus, move something back and forth (I used my pipette) and look through the viewfinder until you find the right spot, then aim to drip in that general area, shoot about 200 frames and you usually get 3 or 4 good ones!

Loving how popular this is, can't believe how many people have been trying it!

1.8 Civic EX
i upped the contrast a fair bit to make the green more vibrant...still, only my first attempt...practice makes perfect...

Pretty impressive mate, with a bit more splash that's going to look cool.

Got to try the coin thing tomorrow I if I feel better.

172cup
Are most of the pics posted so far 'played with' then? I am starting to see the difference between SLR and compacts quite clearly on these compositions

Some more from me. Still learning. Wish i was half as good as some of you lot.

Not getting the focus right at all. Mostly taken at 1/1600 but can't remember which.

P1010263Medium.jpg

P1010284Medium.jpg

P1010201Medium.jpg

P1010197Medium.jpg

P1010295Medium.jpg

P1010297Medium.jpg

P1010316Medium.jpg

P1010318Medium.jpg

Last edited:
  Cupra
Love the second to last shot. Any ideas how you got 'crowns' instead of blobs for some shots?

Just the luck of the draw... I was using a baby bottle for the drips and tried different heights.... the crowns were mostly when the drips came from higher and also after several were dropped and the water was "rough" from the previous drips.

I must have had a couple of hundred blank glass shots in the mix too though. lol.

Oil Burner
i found the best way to get focus was to find the centre point of the cup/glass, then hold a coin there and manually focus untill the writing is sharp on the coin. Then take care to drop the drip in the centre, as using f11 i had a pretty crap DOF.

So tempted to waste the rest of this months money on a macro lense, any recomendations. Im fed up with the grainy kit lense.

1.8 Civic EX
my life is now ruined by the eternal search for the perfect water splash shot...

P1220048.gif

P1220024.gif

P1220019.gif

P1220020.gif

just need to get the pics on my other pc with photoshop so i can sort out the backgrounds....

Cupra
^^Same. I dont have a decent macro and am only using the kit lens for these so have had to crop them. No other adjustments at all though.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Some great photography in this thread!

My quick efforts with a compact point and shoot:
IMGP0743a.jpg

IMGP0734.jpg

IMGP0729.jpg

and one where i went a little slide happy with the colour balance :cool:
IMGP0739.jpg

I had a nightmare trying to get it to work at all, then realised i had to use the flash :eek:

It's not easy trying to time it right with the extreme delay from pressing the button to anything happening at the shutter. Stupidly difficult to get it to focus and no ability to choose shutter speed or aperture :(

Amazing efforts from compact cameras, just goes to show it's not the equipment...

Anyone got some ideas on what we could do for the first "Cliosport Photography Challenge"? Hard trying to think of something that needs the absolute basic minimum of equipment, is open to us all and can be done in or near home.

1.8 Civic EX
a pic of a lightbulb turned on...make it as arty as possible...no editing of colours etc...only edit allowed is cropping

only sugest that as i already have one lol

TheIdea.gif

Last edited:
hehe, there isn't a single room in this house that I can access a switched-on lightbulb without getting on a stepladder :) They are all dull as hell energy saving ones now anyway.

Another suggestion..."Kitchen"

My reasons? imo the hardest thing to do as a 'photographer' is the photograph things that are familiar to you. You can take thousands of pics abroad, not because it's any more or less photogenic than anywhere else, but because it's quirky/different/interesting to you, even a roadsign abroad is interesting. So with that in mind, get an awesome shot from your kitchen, it can be anything as long you took it in the kitchen and can be easily identifiable as something you would normally associate with a kitchen.

Cupra
Another suggestion..."Kitchen"

My reasons? imo the hardest thing to do as a 'photographer' is the photograph things that are familiar to you. You can take thousands of pics abroad, not because it's any more or less photogenic than anywhere else, but because it's quirky/different/interesting to you, even a roadsign abroad is interesting. So with that in mind, get an awesome shot from your kitchen, it can be anything as long you took it in the kitchen and can be easily identifiable as something you would normally associate with a kitchen.

Interesting idea! A new topic each week? I am sure there are plenty of ideas which will come in once people start getting into this. It is always nice to have a critical eye cast over your pics too.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i think we should follow the avforums lead and have a monthly (or weekly)photography competition. At the end of the month votes are cast (only by those who have entered) the winner gets to pick the next months subject and can't win it again within a certain number of months (lets say 3)

RS 172
i think we should follow the avforums lead and have a monthly (or weekly)photography competition. At the end of the month votes are cast (only by those who have entered) the winner gets to pick the next months subject and can't win it again within a certain number of months (lets say 3)

Agreed. Competitions are great as they get people snapping things they normally wouldnt do. Give it a go I say.

I've just posted a new thread in here for an initial project/challenge.

Not sure how a competition would work with voting etc so that would need to be discussed with admin/mods I guess, quite difficult without a seperate Photography sub-forum and I can't see that happening.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
The challenge sounds like a good idea. I probably won't take part often though. My artistic ideas are very limited to say the least :eek:

Anyway had a boring night so i thought i'd try some more. Got a much improved 2nd set (most of which didn't need any colour enhancment :))

IMGP0812.jpg

Crown :D
IMGP0822.jpg

GW RS200
This idea spread far and wide. My GF liked it so much she had a go too!
(And yes, I am a webdesigner!)... The competition sounds like a fun idea, too!

P1201213.jpg

P1201212.jpg