ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Little photography project anyone can try...

If the weather is crap and you want to practice a bit of photography here is an idea for a winters day. You absolutely do not need a DSLR for this, I tried it with a Panasonic FZ20 about 2 years ago and the results were virtually the same (and it was safer as I could keep the camera further away!)

What you need:

1. A camera (preferably with a macro mode)
2. A tripod or something secure/solid you can place your camera on
3. Two glasses
4. Some water
5. A tray (the brighter the better)
6. Something large with a single colour to place in the background (I used a shoebox lid)

Set it up something like this:

244917714-L.jpg

1. Fill the main glass up to the very top, you will point your camera at this one. The other glass is just used as a supply of water.
2. Line the camera up so it's pointing at the water, focus on that area
3. Drip water with one hand (I used a pipette thing to keep things clean and tidy) and hit the shutter release on your camera with the other.
4. Done!

Mine were shot with a Nikon D50 and Nikon 50mm 1.8. Not a macro lens so I just had to crop the hell out of these...

244898867-L.jpg

244898934-L.jpg

244911104-L.jpg

244918827-L.jpg

244911071-L.jpg

244898843-L.jpg
244898993-L.jpg

If you're feeling really clever you can do things like putting objects in the background instead of a plain object, get it just right and the object reflects perfectly in the water droplets.

I haven't tried that much really yet but I wanted to check to see if it worked, it does (this is a droplet in mid-air with the shoebox in the first pic behind it)...

244921693-M.jpg

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Thats mint! I know what i'm gonna try doing this afternoon!

Oh and I forgot to say milk works best apparently, dripping that into water with a bit of red food dye in it is the next step.

GW RS200
This looks brilliant. I've been moping around with my camera outside in the rain with my new Macro lens and found sod all, it's just soo murky. These shots are tremendous - what lens and settings did you use? Thanks! Steve

Edit: I should read more carefully! I have a 50mm 1.8f but I'll try my new 100mm macro, too. Just hope I can get something half as good.

Last edited:
A drop of red food dye and a bit of milk next. I wanted to get the 'crown' effect as seen in Pete's first shot above, but I couldn't get anything other than blobs for some reason...

245023585-L.jpg

245023561-L.jpg

245023515-L.jpg
245022647-L.jpg

306 TD Slut
lovely result mate. if you wanted the crown effetc, what if you dropped the water from higher? and maybe something with a bigger drop? just a suggestion

ITB BG 182
Can this be done with some thing like the TZ3 lumix camera? ive just gone a bourght this as a side thing for me as i got fed up of hauling a massive camera around with me.
If anyone has a tz3 or a tz2 an some thing that i can try can some one pm on what to do or well try an which settings so i can learn more.

Can this be done with some thing like the TZ3 lumix camera? ive just gone a bourght this as a side thing for me as i got fed up of hauling a massive camera around with me.
If anyone has a tz3 or a tz2 an some thing that i can try can some one pm on what to do or well try an which settings so i can learn more.

I would have thought just put it on macro mode with a low iso setting?

Might try this after we paint the kitchen :eek:

172cup

TZ3 is a good camera... you should be able to replicate the results. Pretty much any camera with a low ISO, macro mode and fast shutter speed would be able to achieve this relatively easy.

Black 172 FF
What shutter speeds and ISO are people using ?

I dont seem to be able to get it light enough to use a fast shutter speed at a low ISO say 80 - 100 :(

Camera is a Canon S3 is...

GW RS200
It took well over 500 shots, but I got some OK ones at the end. A flash is absolutely essential in this weather. I was on M mode, 200th/sec exposure f10 with flash. This one was using a 100mm Canon macro. Thanks so much again for this idea, used up a rainy Sunday perfectly!

water_small.jpg

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i did this at uni spent days trying to get a crown which i got on film but not digital was pure fluke i think... ne way here are some of the digi's i did...

splish.jpg

_DSC0111.jpg

_DSC0102.jpg

paint is also good to play with as its thicker but you have to drop something heavier than the paint in to make the splash i used marbles

_DSC0166.jpg

_DSC0209.jpg

this was water with marbles... was fun :) i built a box with infinity curve in it for mine.

_DSC0309.jpg

D

dick

Those are amazing,incredible that you can take that sort of quality without dslr

imho bridge is better. Most pics taken from a top of the line bridge camera are as good as DSLR's, and will struggle to tell the difference.

sorry thats a ridiculous comment.

you maybe right at small photos, but you smply cant use high ISO (well, not even high, 400) on thingys, bridge cams.
the sensors just cant compete.
not sure if theyve started putting bigger sonsors on bridge cameras apart from the r1? Il give you the r1. but thats SLR money anyway.

its the old phrase, buy right, or buy twice.
and ive bought twice.

edit : cool pics by the way, not my thing though.

Last edited by a moderator: