ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water in passenger sill and footwell.

Clio 200
My 172 I bought last June has started to develop this issue over the last few weeks. When driving I noticed that there was sloshing coming from the passenger side of the car under braking, accelerating etc. Further examination showed that the sill was full with water. It was getting in when stationary. I researched and found out about the drainage holes, 3 I think. I managed to unblock these and loads of water poured out. Problem solved I thought. I noticed at the time that the passenger footwell was damp, but assumed it would now dry out.

Anyway, with all this rain we’re having, everytime I get in the car, which is parked pretty much level, I can hear sloshing water for a minute or two before it drains away when driving. The passenger footwell is now wetter than before too.

So my question is how is water getting into these two areas when the car is stationary, can it transition from one to the other potentially? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Nick.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
My 172 I bought last June has started to develop this issue over the last few weeks. When driving I noticed that there was sloshing coming from the passenger side of the car under braking, accelerating etc. Further examination showed that the sill was full with water. It was getting in when stationary. I researched and found out about the drainage holes, 3 I think. I managed to unblock these and loads of water poured out. Problem solved I thought. I noticed at the time that the passenger footwell was damp, but assumed it would now dry out.

Anyway, with all this rain we’re having, everytime I get in the car, which is parked pretty much level, I can hear sloshing water for a minute or two before it drains away when driving. The passenger footwell is now wetter than before too.

So my question is how is water getting into these two areas when the car is stationary, can it transition from one to the other potentially? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Nick.
Mine came through the door card. Telltale signs are water sitting in the rubber with a line of water dripping into the footwell.

IMG_2302.jpeg

The solution was to take the door card out and reseal it with Butyl tape. That wouldn't explain why the sill is filling up with water though.

Have you checked under the washer bottle?

IMG_1461 (1).jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Many thanks for the rapid reply. Does it get into the sill from there then too?
That's the bit I'm unsure about. I can't recall my sills ever getting filled up.

Some holes are at the bottom of the door panel - near the UCH - that's quite a vulnerable area.

Water can reroute if there's blockage around there, water can access the sill.

As above, are sill drains not blocked?

Screenshot-2024-04-04-at-17.26.47.jpg

Clio 200
The sill drainage holes were blocked but I sorted that and loads of water came out. Still getting water in it though when standing still. Could water be transitioning from the sill into the footwell as it fills up?

Clio 200
Just had loads of heavy rain again so thought I’d pop out and check. I think it may be the door card as suggested above. Are they easy to get off? Any walk throughs on here?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Just had loads of heavy rain again so thought I’d pop out and check. I think it may be the door card as suggested above. Are they easy to get off? Any walk throughs on here?
Not exactly a walkthrough but it might help. Not too difficult. Just take your time.