ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sunroof leak

Clio
Hello everyone. We have a 2008 Clio with the double panoramic electric sunroof. Unsurprisingly it leaks...Water seems to collect on the inside of the glass, and then drips onto the seats, and this has got quite bad now. Strangely there's no signs of ingress on the headlining, which is dry and stain free.

After it's rained water collects in the corners of the sunroof and doesn't seem to drain away. So I thought the problem could be blocked drain holes. I've had a good look at the front though, and can't see drain holes anywhere, blocked or otherwise. So question 1 is, where are the drain holes? Is there some trim that needs to be removed to access them?

Second question is, how on earth do you access the drain holes for the rear? On the basis that the rear sunroof is fixed, there doesn't seem to be any obvious place to access them.

Thirdly, as the headlining is dry, is there likely to be a different reason for the water collecting on the underside of the glass?

Hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Inside of the glass means it’s condensation, so the water is getting in somewhere (not necessarily the roof)… are all the carpets dry?

Clio
Thanks for that. There is another leak in the boot, which I thought was unconnected, but maybe that's causing the issue then. It's on the driver's side, and seems to be coming in at the bottom, as there's staining to the trim where it meets the carpet.

Any ideas on this one? Doesn't seem to be the boot seal.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Mk1 & Mk2’s were common for the rear light cluster to get crap behind the seal don’t know if Mk3’s suffer the same… worth checking/cleaning.

Door seals? Windscreen?
My Meganes door pockets would fill with water and I never worked out how until I had a new windsofitted and the bloke basically said it was barely sealed. Since then I’ve had no problem.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Have you tried sitting in the car and getting someone to use a hosepipe on the roof to see exactly where the water gets in, same for the boot. For the boot, put dry tissues around the inside and see where it gets wet.

Dont leave it too long to fix, the smell of mouldy interior is nasty stuff.

Clio
So just to round this one off, I think I've found the culprit. I removed the trim where the water seemed to be coming in in the boot, and found what I assume is a drain pipe not entirely connected to anything. Also the grommet which it's clearly meant to go in was completely gummed up. So I've cleaned that out and reconnected the pipe into it, so hopefully we will now have a dry boot.

IMG_20240127_120939.jpg