ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had my test drive in a 197

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I genuinely wouldn't.

I honestly adore my Cup, despite its annoying niggles and its pap build quality but i forgive it those as its truly rapid.
In my honest opinion, pound for pound it will still pull the pants down of a 197 DESPITE all the arguments against....

BUT...if someone said to me tomorrow that i could swap it for a cup packed 197 in white, no questions asked, i'd prob jump at it.

It does pain me to say it but i would.:quiet:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I honestly adore my Cup, despite its annoying niggles and its pap build quality but i forgive it those as its truly rapid.
In my honest opinion, pound for pound it will still pull the pants down of a 197 DESPITE all the arguments against....

BUT...if someone said to me tomorrow that i could swap it for a cup packed 197 in white, no questions asked, i'd prob jump at it.

It does pain me to say it but i would.:quiet:
Each to their own. As said, it doesn't do anything for me. No current hot-hatch really does.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
we have routine patrols with our private security. i doubt you'd be allowed in.

Let's not get ahead of yourself seb, you only own a Clio yer helmet not a veyron. I've had brand new cars before and you waste alot of money with gordons share.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
On the road so all conditions are covered. You must of had a crap cup and trophy then cos it's the same everytime, the 182 and 172 take over it everytime.
Get a 197 I will bring my cup and I will beat you I garentee it. If your so confident.

Nope. My Cup is currently having ITB's fitted at AW. Now they did a BEFORE mods rr session it ran 190......75k, Maxogen Grp N, matched inlets de cat. All RR sessions should be taken with a pich of salt of course, but i reckon it was a good 185bhp..... Ben would have nothing to gain giving an overinflated figure before he did any work, so go figure?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Nope. My Cup is currently having ITB's fitted at AW. Now they did a BEFORE mods rr session it ran 190......75k, Maxogen Grp N, matched inlets de cat. All RR sessions should be taken with a pich of salt of course, but i reckon it was a good 185bhp..... Ben would have nothing to gain giving an overinflated figure before he did any work, so go figure?
Going to have the best of both worlds.

Was a 197
Can the person who started this thread get a word in hedgeways

WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE HERE

Whe istarted this thread a only expected a few people to say 'nice one enjoy', not full on cyber war.

The reason why the steering feels so light is becuz of the variable electric power steering, but in my opinion this should help for steering acuuracy and responsiveness when you turn in.

White clique
Can the person who started this thread get a word in hedgeways

WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE HERE

Whe istarted this thread a only expected a few people to say 'nice one enjoy', not full on cyber war.

The reason why the steering feels so light is becuz of the variable electric power steering, but in my opinion this should help for steering acuuracy and responsiveness when you turn in.

I agree with you, no one should be hijacking this thread so I apologise.

But a serious question - and you are currently more qualifed more than most to give a sensible answer - why did you buy a 197 and not look at a Trophy - what was it about the 197 that made you want to buy it?

Glacier White 200
Thats exactly my point. People are raving about the 197's handling, saying it's a massive step up. Please, someone explain to me how a car that's a big step forward in handling, as quick in a straight line, and better under braking, isn't a chunk quicker on track?

LOL

Was a 197
I agree with you, no one should be hijacking this thread so I apologise.

But a serious question - and you are currently more qualifed more than most to give a sensible answer - why did you buy a 197 and not look at a Trophy - what was it about the 197 that made you want to buy it?

I wanted a brand new car so i would be able to spec it myself to a certain extent. I own a Clio II and didnt really fancy a 172/182/cup/trophy (dont ask why, i dunno)

IMHO the 197s look aggressive without being over the top with skirts, spoilers and bumpers. Okay they have flaired the arches a lot, but you gotta admit they look awesome, especially standing at the front of a 197. Also insurance, it would cost the same for me insure a BMW 3 series compact TD as a 197, so i thought, why the hell do i want a BMW compact when i can afford a 197.

There was quite a few personal resaons why i have bought a car in the first place. First off, recently been promoted at work, but more recently broke up with my girlfriend of 4 1/2 years. This was difficult for me.

This is my way of moving on really, out with the old, in with the new.

Going back to this air filter thing, ITG work well with the 197s, but do i just get the foam element for the air box or sort-of-custom make my own induction kit with an ITG filter.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Wouldnt bother imo. If you must, a foam replacement itg. A soon as you start messing with IK etc, it'll introduce flat spots and will need remapping. I just change the paper filter every 6k or so :)

Was a 197
Wouldnt bother imo. If you must, a foam replacement itg. A soon as you start messing with IK etc, it'll introduce flat spots and will need remapping. I just change the paper filter every 6k or so :)

okay, thats fine, i'll do that as it won't/shouldn't invalidate my warranty at all

Cheers Gaz

172cup
Russ mate get 197 worn in then get some track tuition and you 'll lash all the 182s/172s mate.

Best thing I ve ever done taking my cars on track love it.

Was a 197
I'm seriously considering track days, its where these kind of cars excel, a few factors,

1. the cost of the track day and getting special dispensation from my insurance company for a track day

2. getting it broken in

Before i decide to change the air filter, i will let the engine wear, then i'll see what i think.

Last edited:
  320d
There was quite a few personal resaons why i have bought a car in the first place. First off, recently been promoted at work, but more recently broke up with my girlfriend of 4 1/2 years. This was difficult for me.

A girl can always be replaced with a car mate. Plently more fish n the sea.

182 Trophy
I didn't say slow, I said slower!
Don't go by book times, they're just poo tbh.
It's all about the power to weight ratio as I posted above. The one you raced was probably down on power, French cars aren't known for making their true power output!

mate the guys just bought a 197 and im sure he doesnt need telling he could have had a 172 for that extra 0.1234 1/4 mile time or whatever.
the fact is i love 172s and 182s, but the 197s just look a cut above,
if you want to talk about power to weight, i have a gti engined 106 rallye pushing 148bhp and weighs exactly 860kg.

BUT, my next car will be a 197, because theyre more grown up, and turn more heads for the right reasons.;

good choice on the new car mate, iv been to renault in doncaster today for the 3rd time just to see the r26r they have in, and they had a white 197 with the bodykit (sideskirts and front splitter) and i honestly could have fainted lol.

182 Trophy
now iv caught up with the thread and im not quoting people from the 3rd page, i think the 1*2s have the more character and are well liked for that big engine in a small car feel, but as i said, after seing the white cup today its like perfection on wheels.
ill be buying one in a years time no matter what, but im gutted theyre changing it as i wanted to walk down to renault and order myself a brand new one, its been a bit of a dream to do so for a while (geeky i know).
my friend ordered one then cancelled because of the shocking 4k trade in price renault offered him for his 03 plate cooper s, hes now gone and bought a megane 225cup, and im jelous as hell to be honest as the megane sport is and always will be my dream car.

just to add to my essay, about the dealer salesmen knowing nothing atall, its true, i was talking to one about the r26r they had in, he said 'you seen that' i said yes and he then said ' i think theyre a bit quicker than the other meganes', shocked and horrified i got my anorack out and told him how it was 123kgs lighter and made an 8.15 minute lap of the 'ring'..... the salesmen should be able to quote out stats galore on their cars, theyre all good when it comes to your monthly payments but when you ask them about what any of the cars do/or are like they just drop their jaws and ask about percentages in sales bahblah....

someone grade this essay for me please?

Was a 197
A+ mate, we should all be Renault salesman on here, probably sell more cars. The rep at the dealer i'm getting mine from told me that they are told to help people buy a car and not sell it to them, which in my case is true as he has been very helpful with everything.

The 197 is looks absolutely awesome, its in a class of its own in looks and it goes like it looks too.

172cup
Wouldn't bother insuring for a track day pal, me and my mate did it last year and when we scrutinised the policy we would haven't got hardly anything back. The way they are organised and set up are great, well apart from Knockhill!

Was a 197
Wouldn't bother insuring for a track day pal, me and my mate did it last year and when we scrutinised the policy we would haven't got hardly anything back. The way they are organised and set up are great, well apart from Knockhill!

What do you mean here? (might seem a daft question, but could elaborate)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
he's saying track day insurance is a waste of time.

Tell that to the guy who totalled his motor at Mallory.

It don't matter how good a driver you are,it's everyone else you need to worry about.

Greenlight charge £50 + double excess on track.

No brainer to me.

Normal insurance companies run a mile!

Was a 197
so your saying, as long as your not planning on having and accident on the track, then dont tell them what your doing?

You have to have insurance with them first, then just tell them the day of the trackday + £50 then you're covered!

Was a 197
phoned up yesterday to change my car insurance over to my 197 for 6th march,

the reg won't be found yet as its an 09, so i explains what the car is, and he says 'is it a 1.2', my reply was 'erm no, its a 2.0L, you'll find it at the bottom of the list,

next question 'is it 8 or 16 valve, '16v',

'petrol or diesel', 'petrol',

finally after putting me on hold for a minute he finally found the car 'so is it the cup, lux or f1 team one', 'none, just the normal 197', 'oh i've got it'.

Then he explains to me how it'll cost extra on top because its a bigger engine and a newer car, absolute genius this guy is.

Then i asked him if he could send the certificate to the dealer so they could tax it, 'i can send it by fax' his reply, 'they need the original, no copies', i tells him the fax number anyway, 'i'll go and find out if we can do that', hold again for another minute, then eventually after i told him the address it was done.

I was hoping to get the nice sounding girl i spoke to the day before, it only took her a few mins to do all of that, but i didnt get paid until yesterday so unable to do it on that day.

172cup
Who you with russ?

Track day insurance is pretty pointless as the excess will always be high in comparison to the value of the car. Unless, and as pointed out above, your with a good insurer who covers track days like Greenlight. I had a similar set up with Greenlight when I had the Trophy. For instance, my pal has a vxr and his excess last year was £4000 for a track day and then when looking over the small print they would only pay out if it was not his fault and this was backed up by the marshalls and any payout would be 70% of the market value of his car!

You want ot be with Elephant for dirty sounding welsh girls!

Was a 197
i'm on sainsburys mac, unwritten by esure, so i'm guessing they'll run a mile at the mention of track day!!!