ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had my test drive in a 197

Guy on Rsport is adamant that the lack of steering feel is due to the revo-knuckle style set-up, completely isolating the torque from the steering. Hence why the electric system on the R26 feels so much better.

The R26 also has an independant steering axis setup though, I thought?

I'm not really interested in the rest of this Track Wars discussion now, but I just noticed that comment and it confuses me.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Give me chance i'm posting one handed here, i'm w**king over evo's artical about the Trophy..... a car that finished production 4 years ago.....;) Ive never 'raved about the handling', as tbh i can't remember what it feels like in a standard one. All i know is, for me its a better car, quicker than my 182 (had them side by side). Against the MK2's ive come up against there is no marked difference, (even outdragged one) We dont all drive on the track 100% of the time.......
You should be;). It is amazing that every objective article about the 197 has it as a wee bit slower than the 182. And every owner has one thats quicker.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

I'm not really interested in the rest of this Track Wars discussion now, but I just noticed that comment and it confuses me

it does, as do all Meggys, but he seems to think as there is more Torque produed by the 225, is produces more steering feel....

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

I'm not really interested in the rest of this Track Wars discussion now, but I just noticed that comment and it confuses me.
The system works better with the LSD. Exerts force on the steering, which brings some feel back.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Right i'm gonna add something here, 197s are slower than 182 trophys and 172 cup, fact I know this cos I race against them 5 days a week, 197 are by far a nicer car in every way just not straight line speed but in corners they are very good even in the wet which is a big improvement over the old models. The king is dead long live the king as the saying goes.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
What happened to the Cup i went against then? Bearing in mind i've had one also? Where do you 'race' 5 days a week?

Also when i had my old 182, why did i not beat my mate in his 197 when they were both standard?

I'm not blinkered by the 'in' peeps on here. I've had all three, and know all the cars strengths and weakness's. Warren loves his cars to feel raw, connected with the road so a MK2 is spot on for him, as would a 205 gti, Williams, dc2 etc. Ive never once said 197's are quicker 'FACT' as some people seem to think. All RS clios are made to be around same speed for the segment, ie, probably pegged back so not to step on the meggys toes etc. So its bollox to say one is quicker than the other, they are all within a few tenths of each other.

Last edited:
This thread is awesome :D

A guy posts up how he loves the 197 and we get 11 pages of Race Wars over a load of cars that are so close in performance terms they may as well be the same car ;)

renaultsport clio 197 cup
great choice.mines a cup .test drove a 197 before i got mines and wasnt allowed to go above 50 on the test drive.i changed from an impreza sti import and the cup defo handles better in my opinion.done 7000 miles now and still get the buzz when b-road blasting.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
just wait till the new clio rs comes out all hell will break loose.

320d
another point to be made is how many 172 and 182`s now have slightly worn shocks, perhaps some camber out and not the freshest of tyres, turns them into run of the mill cars that even a new astra sport hatch can out corner.

Nothing a set of coilovers and PE2's won't sort out.

However I think its slightly ott to say a run of the mill car will handle better than a car that "took hot hatch's to a new level" only 5 years ago.

A Ph1 172 is supposed to be one of the best handling RS Clio's and they're 9 years old now, i'm sure they're not all fresh, may have leaking dampers etc but thats because of lack of maintainance rather than the car.

172cup
I am loving this thread! It is better than Hollyoaks at the moment shame there are no breasts!

In the end all Clios are great!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
What happened to the Cup i went against then? Bearing in mind i've had one also? Where do you 'race' 5 days a week?

Also when i had my old 182, why did i not beat my mate in his 197 when they were both standard?

I'm not blinkered by the 'in' peeps on here. I've had all three, and know all the cars strengths and weakness's. Warren loves his cars to feel raw, connected with the road so a MK2 is spot on for him, as would a 205 gti, Williams, dc2 etc. Ive never once said 197's are quicker 'FACT' as some people seem to think. All RS clios are made to be around same speed for the segment, ie, probably pegged back so not to step on the meggys toes etc. So its bollox to say one is quicker than the other, they are all within a few tenths of each other.

On the road so all conditions are covered. You must of had a crap cup and trophy then cos it's the same everytime, the 182 and 172 take over it everytime.
Get a 197 I will bring my cup and I will beat you I garentee it. If your so confident.

Golf 7R
On the road so all conditions are covered. You must of had a crap cup and trophy then cos it's the same everytime, the 182 and 172 take over it everytime.
Get a 197 I will bring my cup and I will beat you I garentee it. If your so confident.

Dont talk tosh man. I came from a 172 Cup, and my 197 is miles ahead in every respect!

Please oh please do not tell me the 172 has the legs to overtake, because it's simply not the case, and im afraid your deluded if you think otherwise.

My 197 has opened up nicely now, and i would say it feels it would have the legs on my Cup.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i opened my 197 up half a nanosecond before my brother in his R26. the result? i pulled on him. s**t man, my 197 must be uber powerful to do that... ... ... ... :rolleyes:

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
This thread is awesome :D

A guy posts up how he loves the 197 and we get 11 pages of Race Wars over a load of cars that are so close in performance terms they may as well be the same car ;)

Thus summing up the combined beauty and pure blockheadedness of Cliosport....surely, after all is said and done, it really doesn't matter?!

It does make great forum reading tho....;).

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Utter balls. You have to be a fair whack quicker to overtake a car, all the RS's are pretty similar in a straight line. Certainly not going to be overtaking a healthy example.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
you reckon? i'll bring in the cs peace keepers.

dont_worry_sir_i_m_from_the_internet.jpg

cracks me up everytime tbh. mini DK. :D

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Dont talk tosh man. I came from a 172 Cup, and my 197 is miles ahead in every respect!

Please oh please do not tell me the 172 has the legs to overtake, because it's simply not the case, and im afraid your deluded if you think otherwise.

My 197 has opened up nicely now, and i would say it feels it would have the legs on my Cup.

Like I said a good cup, I've raced others that are slow. I'm not making this up out of nowhere, Im going from experience. Like I said any1 is welcome to try and prove me wrong, no1 has come forward yet.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I must say, i've been waiting for Seb to roll out the Big Guns in defence of the 197's honour....

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i don't need to tbh, i let the grunts argue why their chav chariots are so great as I waft by in my 197 tbh ;)

lets be honest, i wouldn't have upgraded if it wasn't better! :quiet:

Last edited:
  Astra SRI/ Hornet
Seb if you actually read what I said earlier I love 197s and would have 1 tomorrow if I could afford 1 but I was just making a point that in straight line performance there not as quick.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Seb if you actually read what I said earlier I love 197s and would have 1 tomorrow if I could afford 1 but I was just making a point that in straight line performance there not as quick.

yeah i saw matey. i just disagree with you that is all tbh, as i also have anectodal evidence to say the contrary.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Lets be honest, if we all were offered a 197 (not a standard one obviously....pap compared to a Cup packed one) over a 1*2, we'd no doubt go for the 197.

In the real world we all enjoy what we can afford. For the money i think we all do pretty well.
Fighting over tenths of a second is a bit daft is it not?

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Lets be honest, if we all were offered a 197 (not a standard one obviously....pap compared to a Cup packed one) over a 1*2, we'd no doubt go for the 197.

In the real world we all enjoy what we can afford. For the money i think we all do pretty well.
Fighting over tenths of a second is a bit daft is it not?
I genuinely wouldn't.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yes i concur. if i was offered an MCS with heated seats and it was november again, i'd have it.