ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had my test drive in a 197

Was a 197
All i gotta say to this is 'WOW OMFG', they are awesome to drive, i was out for 30 mins and i was knackered. The grip is phenomenal. My dad took it out after and he said he felt it gripped better than a scooby that he had a test drive in a bit back. This has just made my 2 week wait even more painful now,

Every aspect about it is awesome, the pick up, grip, steering feedback, the whole lot is well as you can see it exceeded all my expectations. When your just cruising along, its just saying to you 'go on, you know you wana floor it'. i see why they put a speed limiter on them now!!!

Watch out for an Albi Blue cupped 197 on an 09 plate around the wolverhampton area....

BMW 320d M-Sport
Join the club; it's amazing, i love it! Yes has a speed limiter on the same switch as the cruise control!

White clique
yes they have a speed limiter, its the same switch as the 182, so you flick it either way for cruise / limiter!

Glad you liked it, its good to hear an honest review from someone who has actually driven one for once!

I've not driven a cup packed one, but even my non-cup version grips superbly, and i remember the difference from swapping my 172 to a cupped 182 and i could feel the improvement straight away.

You've done the right thing.

Was a 197
its coming from a dealer in southampton as renault are not producing them at the moment, still brand new though.

Got it for £14,500 with the cup pack, automatic wipers and headlights, albi blue paint and 6 months tax.

172cup
Decent review, I love the look of them and the build quality but now feel when I drove one I didnt make the most of it. Have you seen the reviews in Performance Car mag? Makes me want to have another go! The best looking car out there by far. There are a couple of track vids on Performance Car mag website.

Was a 197
you need to really give it some welly to get the full experience of them. When my dad drove it, he was doing 70 in 6th, floored and in a matter of seconds he was doing 110!!!

172cup
Sounds good, I will be tempted if they do a limited edition end model. Just really wish it was lighter. Just really for figure boasting and being an anorak!

Nice one. I take it you are coming from a 1.2? I felt the same when I made the step up.

Welcome to rs ownership.

Was a 197
yeah, another dissapointing factor is that i had to drive back home in my 1.2, my home driveway is gonna be a picture 2x Renaultsport 197s on there!!!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
its coming from a dealer in southampton as renault are not producing them at the moment, still brand new though.

Got it for £14,500 with the cup pack, automatic wipers and headlights, albi blue paint and 6 months tax.

Inchacape Renault??

Good stuff, i've driven 2 197's i really like then, great cars :)

Renaultsport 200
you need to really give it some welly to get the full experience of them. When my dad drove it, he was doing 70 in 6th, floored and in a matter of seconds he was doing 110!!!

You will learn soon that that is not the way to drive it. If you really want to open it up and give it the berries it will need to be dropped to 5th, or even 4th if you were doing 60 or so and then floor it. You will get to 110 a lot faster that way I can tell you.

Do not be frightened to rev this car. I swear sometimes I hear my engine shouting "MORE, MORE, MORE"

Was a 197
i know that, i did that but i was givin an example of the pick up that it has, i did do that, going along at 60, down to 4th and well lets just say the rest was a blur....

I couldn't agree with you more about the car saying, go on you know you wanna'

Renaultsport 200
Sounds good, I will be tempted if they do a limited edition end model. Just really wish it was lighter. Just really for figure boasting and being an anorak!

They have already done a limited edition.

The R27 only 500 in the UK (and just to be an anorak there are only 55 in my colour in this country)!:approve:

Renaultsport 200
i know that, i did that but i was givin an example of the pick up that it has, i did do that, going along at 60, down to 4th and well lets just say the rest was a blur....

I couldn't agree with you more about the car saying, go on you know you wanna'

How many miles has it done? Mine had 4500 when i got it nearly 12 months ago. I can honestly say its a different drive now. Its much more loose and more economical. It certainly a tad more eager now

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I think they look great tbh. I am tempted by one, but one thing that puts me off is the fuel consumption. My 172 does 37mpg (recorded fill not trip) and going to high twenties on the mileage I do would be costly. Get some pics up when you get it.

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Congrats mate, happy for you. I drove one about 6 months ago, and Im almost ashamed to admit its the first RS car I have ever driven. It was epic, and I fell in love with it instantly. I wanted to do a deal but when I crunched the numbers I just couldnt quite make it happen. I wrote a full review for the Irish site where Im the Renault moderator. Id be more than happy to post it up if people wanted? Just let me know :D

Glacier White 200
This is proof at how much better the 197 is with the updated ECU software (which is on all the new builds). Shame it took renault 2 years to sort this out as they probably lost alot of potential sales in the early days.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
This is proof at how much better the 197 is with the updated ECU software (which is on all the new builds). Shame it took renault 2 years to sort this out as they probably lost alot of potential sales in the early days.

Whats that then mate?

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
Whats that then mate?

Earlier Mk3 Clios ran older software in the ECU, including the 197. Renault fixed the problem in early 08 and all cars built from mid 08 on had the updated software in the ECU. The older cars can be flash updated, but its not always 100% effective.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Earlier Mk3 Clios ran older software in the ECU, including the 197. Renault fixed the problem in early 08 and all cars built from mid 08 on had the updated software in the ECU. The older cars can be flash updated, but its not always 100% effective.

I was getting at what faults does the software correct?

White clique
I was getting at what faults does the software correct?

It was a cold start fix, on cold they can be a real bugger with kangerooing and very poor performance, pulling away you sometimes have hardly any power at all.

I had mine updated ages ago and it makes a massive difference, the OP is getting a new car so it wont matter, but if you have a pre-08 197 you can have the patch installed for free at renault (actis solution number 7103 i think)

Incidentally, you get much better low end torque and a slight improvement in accelleration and about 1mpg improvement.

Scirocco GT 2.0
It was a cold start fix, on cold they can be a real bugger with kangerooing and very poor performance, pulling away you sometimes have hardly any power at all.

I had mine updated ages ago and it makes a massive difference, the OP is getting a new car so it wont matter, but if you have a pre-08 197 you can have the patch installed for free at renault (actis solution number 7103 i think)

Incidentally, you get much better low end torque and a slight improvement in accelleration and about 1mpg improvement.

Can any Mk3 have this patch installed at renault or just the 197?

320d
You seem mightily impressed with it mate.

I haven't driven one, or any RS for that matter, but just getting a lift in one you can instantly tell the difference.

At low speeds even they just seem to grip solidly and there isn't much body roll atall.

Different world to a 1.2 tbh.

I can't wait to jump up to an RS myself.