ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had my test drive in a 197

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
dude, i've had Renaultsport clios for the last 5 years a 172 Cup, 182 cup packed and now a 197, i think i know the score.........

clio 197 Sport
Welcome to your 197, Mine is great, been out today for a 200 mile blast around the Derbyshire Dales. Mega grip, out standing cornering and absolutely great through the gears.
Watch that cruise control setting, make sure it is off!
Enjoy, pete:approve:

Renaultsport 200
looking better is a matter of opinion, but I hate the 197! IIRC most people voted for the 172/182 over the 197 on looks poll.

Faster - yes. Power to weight ratio is 158 bhp/ton. The 172 cup coming in at 170bhp/ton.

Admittedly the 197 will be more refined, but lets be honest, you don't buy a clio if you want refined.

My mates Pug GTi 180 did a 172 cup and I was a passenger and trust me the Clio driver was trying. I was pretty upset by the result to be honest because I bang on about Clio RS's to him all the time. Also by that token my 197 has beat the pug a few times.

A 197 is leaps and bounds ahead in development over 1*2's, and on a motorway will pull away. Introduce corners and point to point a 197 will show why its the better car.

The only 1*2 id have is a Trophy. - Very nice!

172cup
I am defo considering a 197 when I come round to change, or maybe an R26. The Trophy is the boy, always regret smashing mine!

Scirocco GT 2.0
It was a cold start fix, on cold they can be a real bugger with kangerooing and very poor performance, pulling away you sometimes have hardly any power at all.

I had mine updated ages ago and it makes a massive difference, the OP is getting a new car so it wont matter, but if you have a pre-08 197 you can have the patch installed for free at renault (actis solution number 7103 i think)

Incidentally, you get much better low end torque and a slight improvement in accelleration and about 1mpg improvement.

Can any Mk3 have this patch installed at renault or just the 197?

:bump:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
you talk about power to weight ratios... but then go on about how clios don't make their power very often. fail tbh.

Golf 7R
Thats because most people on here have 172/182's.... they vote for their own cars

Now, i've had a 172 Cup, and had my 197 for a year now. There is no difference, the 197 is not slow as you put it. In fact just going by book times the 197 has a quicker 0-62mph time...... Also i out dragged a cup off here, and yes he was trying ;)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=384793

+1

I also came from a 172 Cup, and as good as the car was/is, the game has moved on, and i would never go back ... ever!

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
My mates Pug GTi 180 did a 172 cup and I was a passenger and trust me the Clio driver was trying. I was pretty upset by the result to be honest because I bang on about Clio RS's to him all the time. Also by that token my 197 has beat the pug a few times.

A 197 is leaps and bounds ahead in development over 1*2's, and on a motorway will pull away. Introduce corners and point to point a 197 will show why its the better car.

let me help you with that

poop_scoop_case.jpg

Was a 197
dude, i've had Renaultsport clios for the last 5 years a 172 Cup, 182 cup packed and now a 197, i think i know the score.........

which one is your favourite gaz?

i wouldn't mind havin a go in either a 172 or 182 whichever derivative and seeing for myself what is the difference.

At the end of the day RS's have moved on. They are the best all round hot hatches on the market (dont class the golf as a hot hatch, its too bulky now)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
when i dorve a 197 for the first time it felt like a real advancement to me.

i then got back into my 182 and it felt so rough. weird seats with my bus wheel as the gruff engine growled.

was an epically fun car but for me, the 197 is a significant improvement.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Loved the cup, always has a special place in my heart, but i love the 197, the box, the seating position, the less gruff engine. All round better package really! (just wish it was White ;))

Was a 197
Loved the cup, always has a special place in my heart, but i love the 197, the box, the seating position, the less gruff engine. All round better package really! (just wish it was White ;))

my dad's had a white one with the black alloys!!!

Z4

I'm not debating that, only facts speak for themselvs.
If the cars are both putting out the manufacturers power output the cup will be the faster car! I know the 197 is a better package all round, I was just throwing the 172 in for comparisons sake.

I'm not listening to 'my mate' stories, too many factors to consider. Pug 206 gtis aren't very quick, the cup must have been half dead or the pug was seriously modified. Standard vs standard its no contest, I know, a friend of mine owns a 180 206.

you talk about power to weight ratios... but then go on about how clios don't make their power very often. fail tbh.

how the feck is that a fail? grow up little boy!
I cannot rectify or explain why a manufacturer is so piss poor at making cars that the power outputs massively vary, all I know is that if a clio cup is running full power (which is a bit of a lottery) it will be one of the fastest RS clios!

I didn't want to turn this into a 1*2 vs 197 argument and still dont, but when people are taking pops at me I will stand my ground.

White clique
^^ none of that is important, whats important is tha the OP is happy with his new purchase and I dont blame him, i have a 197 myself and they are great cars. He has bought himself a decent car with more refinement and better build, good solid performance, good specification and he's got a fairly decent price too.

Not everyone buys a car for the reasons you do, if we all wanted power to weight rations at a good price like you suggest, we wouldnt all be in clios and you wouldnt be in a 172 cup. Cars are a personal choice, not a contest.

Z4
^^ none of that is important, whats important is tha the OP is happy with his new purchase and I dont blame him, i have a 197 myself and they are great cars. He has bought himself a decent car with more refinement and better build, good solid performance, good specification and he's got a fairly decent price too.

Not everyone buys a car for the reasons you do, if we all wanted power to weight rations at a good price like you suggest, we wouldnt all be in clios and you wouldnt be in a 172 cup. Cars are a personal choice, not a contest.

+1!

power to weight isnt the be all and end all though is it? The close ratio box plays a big part in making the 197 as quick as the 1*2s.

Porsche Boxster987S
hhmm another interesting thread about the 197. But i sniggered when i read about the 180gti leaving the 172cup:D The 180 is not as quick as the 1*2 standard vs standard. Thats a fact. I understand too how people see the 197 as an improvement in CERTAIN areas but to say an improvement in ''every'' respect is a matter of opinions.

Nissan 370Z
i myself had a 1.2clio, then a fiesta st which i now have, but is flood water dammaged. i drove my mates racing blue 197 and must say it felt so stable, seats comfy, gear stick and shifting is awesome...but yeah...you do have to drive them really hard!
great car tho...i would have one next if i didnt have my st.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
hhmm another interesting thread about the 197. But i sniggered when i read about the 180gti leaving the 172cup:D The 180 is not as quick as the 1*2 standard vs standard. Thats a fact. I understand too how people see the 197 as an improvement in CERTAIN areas but to say an improvement in ''every'' respect is a matter of opinions.

exactamundo.. lets not forget the 180 was 2 up! therefore what a load of poop

200 Gordini
i wouldn't mind havin a go in either a 172 or 182 whichever derivative and seeing for myself what is the difference.

Happily give you a test drive in mine if vice versa! Really want to try a 197 out :cool:

here is a spanner for everyone.. i beat a 197 cup on a straight, he started accelerating first and i was shocked at how quick i caught up with him. No ifs or buts the 182 was faster than this guys cup (maybe new and not loosened up, i do not know)

Looks wise, i'd definitely have the 197 like the OPs dads.. white with black wheels... no wait, albi/ultra red/white.. either will do thanks :D

Was a 197
Happily give you a test drive in mine if vice versa! Really want to try a 197 out :cool:

:D

We'll see, i'll keep that in mind curley. i'll have to break it in first!!! The one i took for a test drive was a 56 plate so it would have had the older ECU unless it had been done and that was fast enuf for me (i dont want to start another debate, although debates are quite fun!!!)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
IMO, the 197 looks great, great interior, great brakes, sounds better than a 1*2. All the cars I've driven haven't felt as urgent/immediate as 1*2. But the big thing that would (and has) stopped me getting one, is the relative lack of feedback. I found the steering numb, and I just couldn't get on with it. Shame, as it would of been a natural up-grade had I enjoyed driving it.

172cup
When I watched it I thought the 182 was braking too much, I would have tried to enter the corners without using the brake and apply the power constant through the corner. I expected the 197 to catch up in the corners as the better brakes would allow later braking. I felt the 182 was pulling away on the straights.

Warren4 thats exactly how I felt when I drove the 197, it felt like a Civic Type R numb steering with little communication compared to the 182. I felt disappointed too as it is by far the best hot hatch on sale at the minute but was not my cupper!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The argument will go on until the next clio comes out! There's not much in it pace wise, it's personal preference. Few facts, the 197 has a better interior, is better under braking, handles well. The Trophy is more economical, more feedback, handles well. The end result is that over a lap, there's f**k all in it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
When I watched it I thought the 182 was braking too much, I would have tried to enter the corners without using the brake and apply the power constant through the corner. I expected the 197 to catch up in the corners as the better brakes would allow later braking. I felt the 182 was pulling away on the straights.

Warren4 thats exactly how I felt when I drove the 197, it felt like a Civic Type R numb steering with little communication compared to the 182. I felt disappointed too as it is by far the best hot hatch on sale at the minute but was not my cupper!
Exactly, it isn't for everyone. What I do find strange, is that for year people on here were criticising the Civic Type R for relatively numb steering and a relative lack of mid-range. Now those sort of faults aren't important.

Was a 197
i know what you mean by the steering feeling numb/light, but as the car gets older they usually do feel heavier as wear and tear kicks in and if u ask me that makes for a more involving drive...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
i know what you mean by the steering feeling numb/light, but as the car gets older they usually do feel heavier as wear and tear kicks in and if u ask me that makes for a more involving drive...
Not criticising fella. We all have different preferences, mine make the 1*2 a better choice for me. Doesn't make it the better car full stop.

I found the low speed steering to be numb and over assisted. It weighted up nicely at speed though, and was very accurate. Threading it down a winding country lane was much more enjoyable than holding onto my 182s barge like steering wheel while it rolls around every corner like a jalopy.

I really don't think the 172/182 are actually that great in handling terms. I used to, but I've changed my mind recently. The steering wheel is too big. The seat is too high. There's lots of body roll, and the engine feels like it's full of rusty chisels when you start heading toward 7000rpm and they do not feel stable at all. Not a recipe for perfection IMO. Some people on here seem to think their 172/182 is the fastest bestest handling car ever made. They are great fun, but they're riddled with faults.

Oh and roffle at seb being told to grow up. The Cliosport f**kwittery is reaching new epic heights that I never thought imaginable TBH.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I found the low speed steering to be numb and over assisted. It weighted up nicely at speed though, and was very accurate. Threading it down a winding country lane was much more enjoyable than holding onto my 182s barge like steering wheel while it rolls around every corner like a jalopy.

I really don't think the 172/182 are actually that great in handling terms. I used to, but I've changed my mind recently. The steering wheel is too big. The seat is too high. There's lots of body roll, and the engine feels like it's full of rusty chisels when you start heading toward 7000rpm and they do not feel stable at all. Not a recipe for perfection IMO. Some people on here seem to think their 172/182 is the fastest bestest handling car ever made. They are great fun, but they're riddled with faults.

Oh and roffle at seb being told to grow up. The Cliosport f**kwittery is reaching new epic heights that I never thought imaginable TBH.
Always difficult comparing a car on tired dampers with a brand new one. I don't think the 182 would be ranked as one of the best ever hot hatches if the handling was that bad?

Always difficult comparing a car on tired dampers with a brand new one. I don't think the 182 would be ranked as one of the best ever hot hatches if the handling was that bad?

Perhaps, I just don't think they feel stable. Handling is subjective. Mine is extremely capable. I don't doubt it's ability to corner. It's just that for me, too many faults conspire to hamper the fun. I'd feel a lot more confident taking a 90mph corner in a 197 than I would in a 182. For me, that means it handles better. On my 197 test drive, I had the rear end swinging about. The salesman s**t himself. I can do this in the 182 of course, but it doesn't feel as happy about it. The fact that I was that confident about the car on a first test drive, says a lot about it's abilities TBH. Difficult to describe really, the 197 just felt sharper and more focused. More planted. More comfortable, better engine.

Faults (IMO) are low speed steering, relative lack of torque/ton, and too rev happy at cruising speeds.