ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Green Track Cup - Back To Basics

172 cup, Impreza P1
Re: Road/Track 172

Looking good mate. That reminds me, I've still got my carbon door cards to fit.

What cage do you have?

Cup In bits

Nice one Neil, mine is getting sent away today for a health check after your troubles.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

They were on the car when I bought it but they were from the group buy on here a few years ago, fairly poor fit to be honest.

Morgan the wiring is all plug and play bar you need to run an extra live feed in for the cam switch over and need to change the plug on the original crank sensor wiring, I used an old injector plug. The car will run with it either way but the rev counter only works one way.

Cup In bits

Yeah I think omex sent out a plug to match the signal splitter. So you just run a 12v constant cam solenoid?

Also did you run the wires from the omex loom directly to the fan getting rid of standard?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Yip omex told me I would need to run a 12v feed and the aux2 to the cam plug as its a switched ground, justnow I'm still using the standard ecu for this as didn't know if the switch points were set in the map and ran out of time. I have run the wiring from the omex aswell so my mapper can switch it over.
Justnow I'm using the standard ecu for fan and fuel pump, I've just tucked the omex wiring out the way in the fuesbox.

Cup In bits

Ill see what's easiest when I come to it but omex spliced in a fan relay to my loom so that should be easy enough and I hope to mount the omex inside so should be easy enough for the fuel pump, did you wire in the dash binacle there is a feed for that aswell on my loom? Where did you take the feed from, I know its not a big issue but what did you find easist?

Did you strip back the standard loom just now or did you run out of time, im worried about taking out a shared earth etc.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I left the dash fed as normal all the unused wires from my old loom are cut back behind the gearbox , individually shrink wrapped then wrapped in a bunch and tucked back into the loom trunking.
I made up a beige for the fuel pump fuse to power the 12v trigger for the ecu, but you could easily use one of the 12v ignition fed lives from the old loom.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

New 15" track wheels bought :D just need to sort out some track tires ,then decide if im going ot keep my 16's as road wheels with normal tires or sell the Turinis with 888's fitted.

12s.jpg

Cup In bits

Good choice, don't get much better wheels for cost/weight/cooling balance than 1.2's.

Do you need my map file still, should have adaptor tommorrow.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

If you could email it to me that would be great, Im not sure if Sitech has started the mapping or not yet, have to say though the base map from Omex started from cold brilliantly and drove fine but kept it under 3K on the way to dropping the car off.
Not sure if im going to get the wheels or not as having a nightmare with paypal out here :(

Cup In bits

I'll try connect to the ecu but can be an nightmare when its not wired into the car.

I have still to get my caliper's machined to check wheel fitment mate, not getting much done.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Typical im away as i have a spare omex plug made up for connecting the ecu to a battery to check setings off the car.
I forgot to sayas it was my last day at home , I ended up buying another serial to usb adaptor from a local back street computer shop for £5 that worked perfectly.

Cup In bits

Ill try connecting my new loom to my ecu when I get a battery at my lock up tomorrow.

Just a 12v feed, no earth needed????

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

No you will need to connect the thick and thin 12v red lives going to the power relay then there are two thin black earths.

172 cup

Looking good Neil got mine back today got a fair few little things to do but it's road going now so all good :)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks I still need to sort some heat shielding for the bulkhead and a oil catch tank but ran out of time before dropping it off.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Just had an update from my mapper he is waiting for ramp space to fit the ARP's so only reving to 7100 rpm, but has done some mapping up to that point and power is still rising and showing 176.6 ATW. Not wanting to get into the whole rolling road debate thing but its on the same rollers that the initial run was done on before the cams and bodies and showing 20bhp up ATW.

Cup In bits

Looking promising so far, I haven't managed to get that file sorted yet sorry.

Do you want me to wait for you coming home before posting timing tools??

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Its cool about the file as going by the power Simon must be getting on ok with the mapping from the original Omex one.

When are you away back to work ? Im not home untill the 5th so if its before that I will just wait and get the timing tool back later.

Cup In bits

Right perfect, engine is getting my attention just now.

Not sure mate, I can always get it packaged up and get it sent out when your home.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Got emailed a work in progress power print out , so here it is compared to my old spec. The ARP's are now in so will be reving to 7500-7600 RPM , and more mapping to smooth out the delivery.

I did think about a jump from 90mm to 110mm trumpets to increase torque , but as it running a standard box and clutch this may just add extra cost for unreliable gains ?

Old spec

cliograph2.jpg

Work in progress map

neilsmap.jpg

Cup In bits

Good power figure Neil but you have lost torque throughout the rev range, bit of a strange one.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Yip I noticed that and have emailed Simon about a possible change to trumpet size, torque is down everywhere until 5K where it then holds much better from then on. This is just a work in progress map so will probably change a bit even without changing parts.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Could anyone confirm the part number for Megane 225 injectors as 8200511099 please, looks like im going to need to order some as the standard injectors are showing 100% at 7400 rpm.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

F**k that you know how much it costs to call the uk on a mobile from China lol

Cup In bits

That's the ones checked against an R26r reg no. £67.86 each but Wests Renault Cambridge do them for £56.65 inc vat each iirc with CS discount and Colin offered to do free postage on them for me as we'll usually £8.50 ;)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Final power output was 174.8 bhp at the wheels and 166.1 lbft , I picked the car up tonight and love the way it goes it just revs so much more freely than before.
Also bought these to use as track wheels with 888's or Ao48's for track then use the 1.2's with Yokos for road and wet

1352234544.jpg

Cup In bits

200ish beans, should go like fook. PM your address Neil and ill send back your tools.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

After all the work this may end up being forsale soon if a deal comes off on another car Im wanting :( £5000

Cup In bits

Not so good your selling Neil, I presume it will be worth it from your previous cars!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I might be buying my old 911 turbo back but it now has a rear cage so will leave me with two fairly impractical 2 seater cars, I am half tempted to keep the Clio and fit an interior but not sure how much work will be involved.

Cup In bits

Going back for a 2nd time in the porker lol, lovely car from the pics.

It would be a good bit of work but with all the cars being broken it could be done cheaply. I still have all interior plastics, rear seats, bolts etc etc if you go down that route. You could have them for penny's as I'm away to throw most out.

Amazing car, such a shame to see that you're potentially selling it. Don't think I would be able to resist from buying it if you were more local.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Haha yip she's a porker but goes well so might have to jump In again :eek: , still not 100 % yet as the clio is such a fun car on the road so on track should be even better.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Well after thinking of selling the clio at the end of last year and actualy getting an offer of my full asking price , I bottled it and decided to keep it for some fun:D

Since then the only new mods done are some nice blue harnesses that came out of my new focus RS, and a quick corner weight session coming in at 957kg fairly heavy against my friends 106gti at 840kg.
Im thinking a diet may be in order how much weight can be saved with lexan windows, and fiberglass bonnet and tailgate ?

Yesterday was my first trackday of the year a 5 hour open pit day at knockhill, im happy to say it drove there did 6 sessions and drove home without any issues.

track1-1.jpg

track2.jpg

track4.jpg