ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Green Track Cup - Back To Basics

Cup In bits
Re: Road/Track 172

Looking good, so to confirm its just a phase 1 pedal and cable you have fitted? looks like you have drilled holes for mounting and cable?

Idea is stolen for grill if I have space with my filter.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Yes i have used the phase one pedal and cable , when you unbolt the FBW pedal use the bottom mounting plate you need to drill one 6mm hole.
The way i fitted it was to use one of the original holes as a dowel then drill the bolt hole to clamp the pedal , then it was then just a case of cutting the pase 1 cable to length to work with the jenvey linkage.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I left the original crimped end at the pedal end as it fits into a plastic pivot, for the ITB linkage end I used the fitting that came with the Jenvey kit. Its just a normal cable end with 2 small grub screw pinch bolts.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Well bought a Omex 600 ecu today along with a Reverie backplate for my filter to give a bit of extra clearance for the fuel rail.
Just need to order up a loom and sensors from Omex while Im offshore so everything should be ready to get it running when I get home in 3 weeks.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I think ive sourced a loom thanks to Silent_Scone :cheers: , so will be ordering sensors and connection lead from Omex next week.

Does anyone have a Omex file for ITB and cams(willing to pay) they can email me to get the car running. Just so I can check a few things over before dropping it off for mapping as I will be dropping it off then going to China for a month with work :(

Cup In bits

Keen to see what your loom is like quality wise and lengths of wires, is it the race loom your having from S scone?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

To be honest Im not sure its getting sent to my mates house as Im offshore untill the 18th.

I think Omex do custom fit looms , if not try CW-looms , they seem to have a good name in the cosworth world.

Cup In bits

Yeah they do a "works specification" imagine that to be pricey tho. Im just going to get a race loom ordered Monday and see what I have when it comes.

I might be able to help you with the Omex file maybe. I have a map on mine for 421's & ITB's just now. Is it possible to copy & send?

Last edited:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Yip I would think you would be looking at around £500 for the works spec loom.

If you have the lead for the Omex you should be able to pull the file and email it , but to be honest I wouldnt have a clue how as never used Omex before.

Cup In bits

I would have to confirm if it's possible when I arrive home on the 18th to see if its password protected. That would be earliest I could do??? I will see if Omex can give more info.

Cup In bits

No bother I'll let you know, if not remind me by PM and I'll try sort something out.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Ive just bought a pair of Sparco rev 2 seats , so the recliners in my car will be going up forsale soon. Im also in two minds justnow wheter to fit the 197 cams I have or go full hog and fit 421, 438 or similar.

old seats

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

new

seat-1.jpg

Im home from work tomorrow so hopefully I will make some proper updates over the next two weeks.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Got my new filter and backing box fitted today , still unsure if Im better to change my trumpets or not. Justnow they are 80mm long and 100mm wide so have had to be trimmed slightly as they overlap, with the new filter I think I could fit 110mm long trumpets.

1348072601_zps3dc4505c.jpg

1348072714_zps05c6b293.jpg

I also mounted up my ecu, and Omex on a plate over the gearbox mount, that is mounted on rubber vibration mounts.

1348072654_zps15d314e4.jpg

I got a loom yesterday from Swede cup that he wasnt using but when I started to check it out it was a mess so I binned it ,and ordered a new loom and crank sensor adaptor from Omex so it should almost be plug and play.

Inferno 182

The car is looking great mate! I thought I recognised the user name from passionford then I saw the pics of your previous cars! I loved that blue cossie of yours but I imagine it takes a sizable amount of cash to run it compared to a clio!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

This is what I mean about the trumpets, they have a larger bell mouth than the normal ones used on clios which are 88mm wide I think.

1348091385_zps5ce91380.jpg

I also had a re-think on the fuel pipe rather than having the section of aeroquip hose sleeved and clamped over the original hose, which im sure would of been fine I have fitted a barbed -6 fitting so it is similar to the way the original end was fitted. I think I will try and find a small clip to fit aswell as a back up.

1348091437_zps03842138.jpg

Where would be best to fit the air temp sensor I was thinking in the bottom of the box between the middle trumpets, I have noticed a few cars on here with the sensor just tied to the fuel rail but surely that wont give a correct reading?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Waiting on the omex loom turning up today so thought I would try the set of 16mm spacers I bought on. Im going to run the 16's on the fornt and order up a pair of 15's for the rear.

Before

1348224161_zps7f04719b.jpg

After

1348224100_zpsf64aca50.jpg

And then gave the tow bus a quick wash, I hate washing big cars :cry:

1348224040_zpsede1d9a4.jpg

I've fitted my air temp sensor in the bottom of the backing box - there's pics on my blog

Bit confused about your trumpet sizes
I thought jenvey only did 90 and 120mm... I have 90's and am going to be fitting 120's over winter
Not heard of 80's and 110's?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

The trumpets I have are 60mm but I originaly bought Jenvey 25mm spacers as I was going to run a flat back plate, so needed them to clear the fuel rail. When I switched to the shaped backing plate I just fitted the spacers inside the box so trumpets are 85mm overall. I did think of buying 90mm trumpets but will se how I get on with these first as they are slightly shorter than the normal 90's people use but do have a bigger intake surface.

Cup In bits

Be nice to see how you get on with the new loom.

Neil did you measure your body's? My 90's are still for sale. After speaking to Jenvey they sell a standard kit for the f4r which is 48mm mouth 45mm butterfly and 43mm outlet. The kit I have are a 45mm parallel set which has had manifold machined to suit, after speaking to you on tues my 48mm x 120's arrived, im just going to keep them and bore out my ITB mouths.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

After seeing Swede Cup's caliper brackets I decided to have a look the posability of fitting a set of calipers Ive had lying for years at some point. Looks like brackets would be easy enough to make to fit 300mm discs.

1348407043_zps0bd23fb4.jpg

1348407191_zps343a8381.jpg

Cup In bits

Scenic disks, bit of square bar, 4 holes, 2 off them tapped, whatever bolts they used for caliper mounting originally on the porsche and your clio caliper carrier to hub bolts.

Job done

How you getting on with wiring?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Omex phoned on Friday to say the loom wont be sent out untill Monday so not even started it.

Great read and great project.

Iv been running 16mm spacers all round now, done two track days on them and they have been great so far.

Do you think those brakes might be overkill for the Clio? Might be a bit to good lol

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Im not sure if I will ever fit the brakes as the set up on it justnow works fine, but they are rears from a 996 turbo and dont actualy have that big pad area. I would think they will be similar to the Megane brembos people fit but a little lighter.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

More parts arrived today :)

New timing belt kit, Engine Dynamics cams, ED cam timing tool,aux belt, dephaser and cam locking tool.

1348841322.jpg

On the down side ive spent the last day and a half trying to get the car to fire up on Omex. Im getting fuel but no spark but I am getting a pulse at the coil plug, unfortunatly buy the time I managed to get a new coil to rule that out omex shut for the weekend so Im a bit :banghead: :banghead:

Cup In bits

I like, pity you never got it started. Is that a phase 1 timing tool you have there, I thought you dont need the pulley locking tool on phase 2??

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

As far as I know you need the pulley locking tool on all of them so you can tighten up the pulleys without messing up the tension/alignment of the belt.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Still no luck with the ecu so its going to Omex in the morning, we even tried wiring in coil on plug pencil coils today as it was set up to run this style on a Vag engine with no luck.
I did however get the cams, timing belt kit and aux belt fitted :approve:
I have to say i dont see what all the fuss is about doing belts on these engine is, clearance is a bit tight but its still straight forward to do using the correct tools( touch wood it doenst slip the first time its under load :cry:)

Finished Bay

1349039831.jpg

Cup In bits

Persistent I'll give you that.

Cant see the belts being a problem myself either, lots of hype, piece of p**s compared to fitting a rotary diesel pump with a dial gauge and some black magic. Did you need the pulley tool, my Autodata says its for phase 1 only??

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Yip you will need it to re torque the pulley bolts but you can get a shot of mine when you go to do belts and cams.
After seeing the pics of your dash yesterday I also fitted a centre console, I'm going to give the car a wash tomorrow so will get some better pics then.

Cup In bits

Right perfect :)( Autodata strikes again) when you due away?

Im unsure about the console, just bunged it in but I don't have half the mounting brackets now.

Wiring looks minimal in that pic, that's what im going for!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I got the ecu back from Omex this morning after a super quick 24 hr turnaround, to refit ignition amplifiers and change the processor that got blown due to them being removed.
Plugged the ecu in and the car fired first time, Iv balanced the bodies as best as I could without a gauge and drove it to Sitech Racing who will be mapping it. Will be a month before I get to see how it goes as I leave tomorrow for China with work,hopping for figures at the right side of 200.