ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Green Track Cup - Back To Basics

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Road/Track 172

Had a couple of hours on the Clio today to hopefully get it ready for a trackway at the weekend, all the old suspension removed and went to fit camber shims to the rear only to find out it has some fitted:).

Fitted a rear tow strap

1379345391.jpg

Vented the front bumper

1379345233.jpg

This is a better pic of the megane shifter in 1st gear to give an idea of position.

1379345544.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Got new coilovers fitted and alignment done, I've went for -2.5 camber and 10min toe out justnow and will see how I get on with that tomorrow at knockhill.

So gave the car a quick check over and loaded up the truck with wheels and tools ready.

1379696724.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Couple of pictures from Saturdays open pit morning at knockhill.
Car was faultless all day drove it there did 6 track sessions including a couple of 30+ min sessions, changed the wheels and drove home :approve:

IPS_4708.jpg

IPS_4660.jpg

IPS_5535.jpg

IPS_4870.jpg

And since the focus is now sold I got a sensible 330D daily, so hopefully the clio will get a bit more track work now I don't have a 500bhp road car to have fun in.

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

Last edited:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Nope I think im going to fit them Gaz as now have -2.5 camber on the front and -1.5 on the back

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Winter plans are 120 mm trumpets , bigger injectors, raised comp, ported head and a 182 manifold . I am hoping for a real 215 bhp and 170ftlb

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Well that's the car now out of tax so will be laid up until next years track days start, but that can only mean one thing time to rip it to bits for winter upgrades.
May look out for a box with a diff fitted at the start of the year, and may even have a colour change/ wrap.

Crutches ATM :)

Great read mate, love it. Don't think I could have every sold that Porsche :p I cannot wait to get my cup

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

It's the only car I regret selling to the point I tried to buy it back at the start of this year, will have another one at some point in the future.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I started stripping the Clio down this morning so I can send the jenvey manifold away with the phase 1 head to get ported and matched, I also got a 182 exhaust manifold and should be picking up some 120mm trumpets later this week.
I also picked up a spray tin of bright green plasidip to try as fancy doing the car green with grey renault sport graphics next year, not sure if I like the finish as its a Matt look so may have a rethink about a wrap or paint depending on £££.

1383220972.jpg

1383220976.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

First of the new parts arrived.
120mm compared to old trumpets.

1383830026.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
1383830017.jpg
[/FONT]

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

A viper green gt3 rs is on my wish list :cool:

The plastidip colour is growing on me with some anthracite colour graphics to break it up a bit might work. I've peeled off the section on the bumper that came off cleanly in once piece, I've also tried the wing with a pressure washer and did not get any peel.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Couple more parts arrived today, so hope to get the Clio into the garage next week and get the old head off.

1384438969.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

After a mix up with the wosners pistons being the wrong bore they were sent back and I got a set of pec pistons which needed machined to the required comp ratio. I have went for 12.8:1 to keep things safe on available pump fuel, this week I also received my pure Motorsport shifter and a full set of black series bushes for the front end to be fitted with the roll center correction kit.
Hopefully next week will see some actual work on the car started.

1385745494.jpg

Clio 172 (CUP)

Liking the mods, I'm still trying to find the time fit my PMS shifter :-s
Where did you order your black series bushes from, after some myself but I remember reading somewhere in here that powerflex had to revise them - or something like that?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I got the bush kit off of ebay, didn't know about the revision ? Only change I heard of was the the metal sleeve as they no longer need welded in.
Ordered a head gasket set , head bolts and also a set of cat valve springs, so hopefully now have everything ready to build the engine but going to be away with work a lot over the next 3 months so could be slow progress.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Today's progress.
I got the head off and bottom end stripped, really happy with the condition of the shells and bores they are both like new. There are no lips or scores in the bores and you can still clearly see the original honing marks.

1386105635.jpg

1386104383.jpg

1386104381.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Got the bottom end almost built up but one set off rings were the wrong size so Dave at PEC is sending out another pack. I was shocked at how high the pistons sit and intrude into the head, but this is the first high comp engine I have had in bits as use to turbo cars.

1386334584.jpg

I have changed out the anti roll bar bushes and removed the bottom arms ready for the polly bush sleeves, and to get the uni ball holders fitted once they arrive.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

Bit of a boring update as been away with work so not got much done, I have finished the bottom end build and hope to pick the head up on Monday as its nearly done. I dropped off some uprated cat cam springs and valve stem oil seals today , and got some phone pics of the head work so far.

1387647857.jpg

Lovely update. Keep the pictures coming along the way;)

How much did the pistons set you back if you don't mind me asking? £800 odd?

what power figures did you have before with the cams and bodies?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I'm sure the pistons were around £400 , then. £40 to have them skimmed to drop the compression down slightly as they are 13.2:1.

Before I was running just over 210 bhp but the standard injectors were at 100% duration so we pulled it back a little.

With any luck I hope to have it running again middle of next week , then I'm away back to work on the 5th. I may get the new roll correction hubs fitted before then aswell, depending. On delivery. All going well I will be dropping it off at the start of Feb for mapping.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I just cc the head and skimmed the pistons going by the chart supplied with the pistons James.
It should work out at 12.8:1 but if it turns out to be over that and I get problems during mapping I have the option of the .85 gasket to drop it down to around 12.3:1.

I have Pico injectors that I got with my Jenvey's some people don't like them due to the spray pattern , but we will try them and change to megane injectors if needed.

Mines running at 12.3 but I'm tempted to chuck a std gasket back on and run it at 13.2.

I keep hearing of issues with the Megane injectors and Paul at RS tuning has just supplied some nice Siemens injectors that have a very good rep so seem like a good option :)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I dont know if you would maybe run into problems with that high comp unless running race fuel, was there not someone on here that was running similar and had to pull timing at the top limiting power to around 210 bhp.
I don't know if you know Harvey Gibbs the ford tuner but his son Ryan is building a puma justnow and using the same pico injectors and reckoned they are performing well so I will give them a try. His engine is a bit more serious though doing 220 bhp out a 1.7 revving to 9k.

Hi, following with interest, how did the Megane gear lever work out ? I like the idea of a slightly longer gear lever but all the megane ones I can find seem to be cable operated.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

It was very good on track it was 100% better than the standard one, I've only switched to the pure one as I liked the look of it :cry:
Against the pure gear stick the megane one is about 2" shorter , I will be selling my megane stick complete with yanoo stiff shift once I've tried out the pure one.

It was very good on track it was 100% better than the standard one, I've only switched to the pure one as I liked the look of it :cry:
Against the pure gear stick the megane one is about 2" shorter , I will be selling my megane stick complete with yanoo stiff shift once I've tried out the pure one.

Cool, Give me a shout if you decide to sell it, I may still be in need.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member

I Lives :approve:
Picked up the head and jenvey inlet at lunchtime and set about fitting the head, and getting it timed up. Due to the porting I have lost the o ring on the jenvey manifold as it had been opened up and matched to the head, luckily I had a new inlet gasket with the head kit I bought so opened it out slightly and fitted it.
I only managed to run the engine for a few minutes as I don't have a link pipe so straight from the manifold is LOUD, s**t myself when it backfired the first time I cranked it :cry:.
So now need to make up a linkpipe and set up the pure motorsport shifter then waiting on new hubs to arrive.