ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dingers CSCC Tin Top Build

Cup In bits
Good write up and good weekend for your first outing, looks good and some nice 'fast' lines in those pics.

Have you left the honey comb behind the front bumper? Everyone's cars with aerocatches look deformed.

Last edited:
  clio cup
No Honeycomb behind the bumper,

I think it looks so extreme because of the different mounting point.
Over the next couple of weeks the car will get a little lighter so may even lose some more of the bumper.

Cup In bits
James' car does the same, I'm debating whether its better to be there or not when your tapping cars, might transmit the load through to the chassis legs more?

Did you fit a RARB during the build?

clio cup
That was a debate I had mate, I hard hit is a hard hit wether its there or not,
A small tap will be taken up by the space taking it out has left..

No RARB. The axle has been strengthend.

Cup In bits
I'm thinking more about nudging people and cracking bumpers all the time, I agree a big bump is just that and nothing will help really.

Yeah I remember now, you think it's loose enough with just that?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Tbh you would get more gains from replacing the original rear arb in the beam over using a whiteline arb Morgan. Ways and means mate, ways and means. Should be testing a modified rear beam soon.

Cup In bits
I know, thought about putting a spare 38mm CDS tube I have in there, not sure it will have the right spring characteristics to it though, something to look at if I want it more tail happy, I don't think that will be the case with the cup racer sus setup.... quite the opposite from videos I have watched.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I know, thought about putting a spare 38mm CDS tube I have in there, not sure it will have the right spring characteristics to it though, something to look at if I want it more tail happy, I don't think that will be the case with the cup racer sus setup.... quite the opposite from videos I have watched.
38mm is a bit over kill mate! Lol!

Cup In bits
Never, steer from the rear FTW lol. Afaik the standard RARB is solid bar, you would have to get the metal 'sprung' to do it right whatever you do.

clio cup
Hang on, Are we talking about a race car or a track car to show off in? Two different things!

Yes you can replace the welded in Torsion bar with a thicker one which will give you a stiffer rear end but you have to be carefull not to go overboard,

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hang on, Are we talking about a race car or a track car to show off in? Two different things!

Yes you can replace the welded in Torsion bar with a thicker one which will give you a stiffer rear end but you have to be carefull not to go overboard,
Mines just a track car and having the back end flailing all over the place isn't how I like my cars set up. Prefer front end being pointy - hence roll centre/bump steer correctors being developed and fitted.

Cup In bits
Lol....Both but a FWD race car for Knockhill needs to dance from the rear to be quick for me. Most FWD (modification limited) one make series I know have crazy rear pressures and RARB's to get them like that and that's just not at Knockhill.

Mark, loose rear means pointy front iirc?

clio cup
Mines just a track car and having the back end flailing all over the place isn't how I like my cars set up. Prefer front end being pointy - hence roll centre/bump steer correctors being developed and fitted.

Really interested in those mate,

despite belief its the rear that you steer from! you only point the car in the direction you want to go with the front wheels, Not sure why I'm having a conversation about getting the rear looser!,,LOl, No offense SWede cup

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Really interested in those mate,

despite belief its the rear that you steer from! you only point the car in the direction you want to go with the front wheels, Not sure why I'm having a conversation about getting the rear looser!,,LOl, No offense SWede cup
It's a really good bit of kit mate. Did you have a look around my car on Friday btw?

Yeah I know that mate. Been messing with fwd for ages now. I'm also not afraid to try anything new or different.

clio cup
I think Morgan should buy a drift car, lol unless your trying to make the Clio a drift car??? Hehe

I never got to look at the setup mate, not even on James's car, It all gets a bit busy on race day doesnt it. and when I was only given two sessions of half hour the pressure was on as I'd never driven Oulton.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I think Morgan should buy a drift car, lol unless your trying to make the Clio a drift car??? Hehe

I never got to look at the setup mate, not even on James's car, It all gets a bit busy on race day doesnt it. and when I was only given two sessions of half hour the pressure was on as I'd never driven Oulton.
Lol!

I was was only there for a few hours on the Friday anyway mate so never got the chance to say hello. It literally was a flying visit, but that was more to do with the airborne action down the lanes near me on my way home! Lol! Yeah definitely gets busy doesn't it. You out at Donington? I'll be there to abuse James over his pit to car radio. Lol

Cup In bits
No offence taken Dave... horses for courses.

I agree with your comment track/race but that's only because there will be cars in close quarters in racing and you want a bit more predictability to it. I do want my race car to handle more on rails which it will with what's on there but there's no denying a well setup tail happy FWD is a fast car.

Marks case is different again as you want something sure footed at the ring which he enjoys going.

"steer from the rear" is just banter hence FTW :)

Cup In bits
I'll just leave this here. Scottish Fiesta ST championship leader who happens to be leading a certain current BTCC driver and national fiesta junior champion in the standings... seems loose is fast at KH.

[video=youtube_share;SCCok01u5UM]http://youtu.be/SCCok01u5UM[/video]

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Marks case is different again as you want something sure footed at the ring which he enjoys going.

Tbh morgan, the sure footedness of my cup comes from the front suspension working as Rs designed and intended it to work, which then means the rest of it follows suit. There is also a lot of other things that are done to my car that you can't see which also helps. Just how I like it! ;)

Cup In bits
Tbh morgan, the sure footedness of my cup comes from the front suspension working as Rs designed and intended it to work, which then means the rest of it follows suit. There is also a lot of other things that are done to my car that you can't see which also helps. Just how I like it! ;)

Yeah you have gone for a very neutral (dare i say safe) setup, it shows in your videos where it would rather understeer off the throttle on the limit than oversteer. Cups come out the box tail happy and you have dialled it out.

I'm not trying to have an argument in here BTW It's just nobody realises to have a quick car at KH you need it to move about, look at any FWD (fiesta xr2's/ST's, Minis which are a preferred support race over the cup racers, take from that what you will) SMRC championship, they all do it and they also win most the away rounds too which speaks volumes for me.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
There is more to life than KH and videos Morgan ;) Get the car finished and come out and play with us!

True but just trying to make a valid point that those who haven't driven it seems to acknowledge.... Thats the plan, already started again ;)

clio cup
Morgan, I don't think any fast car is set up tail happy its just that's the limit of grip that can be achieved compared to the front without compromising anything.

As James said. Get your arse out in a race, lol

Cup In bits
RARB full & rear's @ 50psi that's all lol.

Enough of that anyway, we'll leave the fighting for on track x.

watching the video you can see the totally different lines that the "normal" trackdayers take - good to watch, see the lines I now take on track, for me racing has been a far better way to learn for sure (though I don't use the rear as much it must be said)!

Clio 172
watching the video you can see the totally different lines that the "normal" trackdayers take - good to watch, see the lines I now take on track, for me racing has been a far better way to learn for sure (though I don't use the rear as much it must be said)!

TBH Pete I don't think Dave video is one you'd watch for learning lines around Oulton.

182cup & 172 racecar
I guess Andy, Pete means the Knock Hill vid. You can see the difference in the lines from the track day goer and the racer.

Clio 172
What times are you running round Oulton?

No Idea Dave, I've only been once. I'm not a race car driver just a track day goer. I know roughly what I was doing round Cadwell as I have a go pro now so have timed myself but never used a stop watch elsewhere. I'm not critiquing your driving btw, you were racing another car so defensive lines are different to racing lines just a few interesting lines were used. I also have been off at the last bend but I was way off the rumble strip heading towards the oak tree on the grass lol.

clio cup
I'd never driven Oulton Andy and had only done 15 laps before the actual race, I hadnt planned on getting hooked up with anyone and having a clean race but the red mist gets you.

What you dont see in the video is how close behind the Civic is, However, even with those poor lines and driving defensivley I was only 4 seconds off the front running guys qually times,
Take into account that my car had only done 30 laps of Snetterton since the build and the front runners are all running "tuned" engines, Mine is completely standard tuning wise,

You could say I'm a little rusty too as my last trackday was back in 2010 in my Subaru..... The car has loads of potential but first I need to extract as much out of myself that I can,

Get out there matey

clio cup
Preach away Peter, lol

I think the issue with lodge was that the exit is blind and I was turning in too early. As you say Peter. But every time I came round it felt like going deep would leave the door wide open.
The natural corners come easy. And this I think showed at old hall, cascades and island. After that it all went to s**t! Lol