ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dingers CSCC Tin Top Build

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Looks great! Looking forward to saturday lots of shiny cars for Tony to nudge :eek:

172 Race Car
Very nice Dave. Good luck for the weekend.hope you have a reliable 2 races.

Oh and 2:05sec lap time is my prediction

clio cup
Thanks everyone,

Jay, My goal is to finish the two races clean, At the moment its signitures that I require, not brass/plastic,

If I get away clean Saturday night then I have managed to secure the funds for Donnington.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good mate, be good to see all the new (and older) builds out there this weekend and have a good poke around them. I'm all packed up ready, car will be loaded in the morning and straight to be corner weighted and geo'd so I'll be there after lunch and I'll try to get some testing done. See you guys tomorrow. I might nip down to demon Tweeks in the morning if anyone wants anything.
Russ

All sorts
Nice to meet you and your lads today Dave.

null_zps5ff5c9bc.png

This video might not work but I'll give it a go lol

75DE76F3-C01A-4B49-A730-63A552048E4C-20319-0000173EDA87E034_zps83c5c2b4.mp4

clio cup
Thanks for popping over Chris, great photo, possibly the only one that hasn't got me on the grass, lol

I'll do a race report when I have some spare time later but all in all the weekend exceeded our expectrations given that the car is un developed ond only had 40 miles of track distance before this weekend.

Did I say it had a standard engine and management,

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Got some pics of you all in the assembly area will get them up tomorrow!

182cup & 172 racecar
I think you did very well Dave and glad you enjoyed it.
Thanks to Paul and james for having a go at bashing my car out, good couple of lads.

clio cup
Loved the battle you was having with the civic was great to watch.

So did I mate, Think we swapped places 4 or 5 times, I'm sure it looked good from the side as everytime we passed we had swapped, Was quite emotional on my parade lap as when me and the civic passed spectators they stood up and clapped, even got loads of thumbs up from the marshals.

I now need some funds for Donnington but the pot is looking pretty empty after this weekend,

clio cup
I think you did very well Dave and glad you enjoyed it.
Thanks to Paul and james for having a go at bashing my car out, good couple of lads.

Thanks Tony.

James and paul are for rent apparently!!!!!! certainly couldn't of done the weekend without them,

clio cup
Well done Dave cracking weekend for you boys :) Look forward to seeing how you and the car progress next year! If you ever need anything you know where I am

Thanks James,

I did come over to see how you and Tony got on, Looked at the faces, saw the damage and thought,,,,, Best leave them alone for half hour,

Real shame about the gearbox and the trouble its now caused you, And as for making it for Donnington! Before yesterdays race I would of asked myself why is James bothering to fix it before the next meeting, but now I have raced I can fully understand how desperate you can be to get out next time.

I think an award has to go to yourself just for sticking with things, Good luck in getting it done and if not, There's always a seat, a cup of tea and some chocolate in my gazebo.

clio cup
Race report Oulton Park 28/09/13

I had planned my first race well and had taken the week prior to the event off to ensure the car was ready, getting the last few bits done on the car before it went to a good friend of mines for corner weighting, Geo and final spanner check be fore leaving for Oulton Park early Friday Morning, At this point I still didn't have tyres for the meeting and had planned to stop at HP Tyres in Daventry on route to the circuit to have then fitted to loose wheels.
We arrived in Daventry early and luckily so had the technitions at HP, They agreed to fit them before their opening time and we were back on the road by half 9, Arrived at Oulton in time for my test afternoon which started at 1 PM,
NO IT DIDNT!

Turns out the open pit lane afternoon session that started at 1pm, in fact was a session event that started at 2pm with only 2 outing of 30 mins, What a joke. But still had enough time to grab a 40 min power nap in the X5

Feeling refreshed the car was already to go and out I went for my first session, I really struggled getting used to the track and constantly lost where I was on the track, not knowing what corner was coming next, Lap times were over 2 minutes 10 and was struggling also with under steer, I came in and had a chat with my pals, we agreed to raise the front by 10mm as I had suffered some arch rubbing, By the time we had done that the session was over, With over an hour till the next one we decided to check the Geo and change a few bits,
Second session was like I'd stepped into a different car, No rubbing and no understeer, within 2 laps I had taken 4 seconds of my previous times and like a light bulb moment I knew what corner was coming up next, By the end of the session I was consistently running 2 min 06 lap times, Happy days as the car had only done 20 laps of Snetterton since build.

We decided to leave to set up for race day as at this stage if we changed anything it would ruin the car.

Qualifying

With a car that I was comfortable with and a positive test session I went out to set a time,
The car felt different, I was pushing harder than before but not getting the lap times, overshooting Deers Leap every lap, Just couldn't get that corner right, I decided that after 7 laps I was pushing too hard and making mistakes so came in, As I went into park ferme I was informed by a marshal that I had been asked by the clerk of the course to pay him a visit.
Now there's an experience! Felt like I was on a disciplinary at work, waiting in a meeting room for him, He was short, shark and to the point, told me what I had done wrong, not allowing me to give an explanation, when I tried he asked if my steering had broken! Lol,
I left with my tail between my legs.

Race one,
A good start considering I'd never tried one in this car, Made a place into the first corner when Kev went wide onto the grass, Managed to hold Kev off for nearly a lap but the straight line speed of his car just gave him the edge round the back of the circuit.
Settleing in I hooked up with a Honda Civic which ended up in an epic battle with 4 or 5 changes of place over the course of the race, Finally in the last but one lap a super quick Suzuki swift came past the both of us, But he was so fast round the corner so the last lap and a half was just tripping over him,
Well please with the result considering it was my first race,
Qualified 10th finished 12th

Race 2,

I cant really remember much of it really, once again I got a good start and hooked up with the CIvic again, Trying to push harder I was making mistakes, testin gmy braking point and going past it a few times. Although a better result It was quite clear that my suspension isn't up to the job, As after 5 laps the understeer returned, tyre temps showed that the tyres were well within their limits,
Started 12th and finish 10th.

I'm still in awe of it all really, Now trying to get the funds for Donington in 3 weeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzzookZyDe0

Thanks James,

I did come over to see how you and Tony got on, Looked at the faces, saw the damage and thought,,,,, Best leave them alone for half hour,

Real shame about the gearbox and the trouble its now caused you, And as for making it for Donnington! Before yesterdays race I would of asked myself why is James bothering to fix it before the next meeting, but now I have raced I can fully understand how desperate you can be to get out next time.

I think an award has to go to yourself just for sticking with things, Good luck in getting it done and if not, There's always a seat, a cup of tea and some chocolate in my gazebo.
Haha thanks Dave just one of those things unfortunately seems best just to put it behind and move on :)

Yes its a real bug isn't it lol!

Very kind and I look forward to taking you up on it at some point

Clio 200
As the others have said, great write up Dave.

Only watched the first lap of video so far, so that's a job for tonight. Interesting to see it from different angles though; I made a much better start than I thought I had - at least initially off the line - and there was probably plenty of room to stay on track at the first corner too! My video from the other view point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbyp1QjV_kc

I'm really glad there's someone going through this steep learning curve at the same time as me anyway... We'll have to compare notes regularly Dave!

Sprint 172
I saw you in Daventry. I was discussing my plans for hillclimbing with my wife when you came past the other way! Glad you had a good weekend.

clio cup
Thanks Guys, Its quite a journey getting to this point, I'm sure anyone that races will say the same,

Great Pic Jamie,

WRX
Thanks Guys, Its quite a journey getting to this point, I'm sure anyone that races will say the same,

Great Pic Jamie,
Tell me about it!!!
The amount of disagreements it's already caused and it's only halfway there lol. For once I'm winning/ she knows she's fighting a losing battle though.