ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dan@SJM's 1720v

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to do a chip basically, keep upping the power/boost until it pops then take it back a tad. And leave it there. Yeh stock pistons and rods, which shouldn't be an issue with the smooth delivery the supercharger provides. It's spikes and excessive cylinder pressures that cause the bent rods.

Cheers for the reply! Will keep an eye on it for when it goes pop then ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm going to do a chip basically, keep upping the power/boost until it pops then take it back a tad.

The ONLY way to ever know the limits of a snotty old engine you dont care about, a bit of destruction testing :)

Was actually quite impressed at how far the standard engine let me take it TBH, around the 300/300 mark isnt bad going really considering its starting out around 170/150 !

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What is your new lump running, Chip?

Its not running at all at the moment mate, duff injector melted a piston at bedford and Ive not touched it since because Ive been too busy with all the building work for the new house.

Was on 308bhp last time it was on the rollers, which TBH I dont ever see the point in going much more than for that car, so will just put it back like that, have bought the new pistons just not had a chance to pull it apart yet.

Ive slightly upgraded the turbo while it was off, but not really chasing any more power, was just a case of while it was being rebuilt anyway it made sense to put a more efficient comp wheel in, and I will probably get a better intercooler made up for it too, but again its only just to make the same power more easily really rather than to try and push it further, the gearbox is already on borrowed time so I see no point in chasing 400+ from it as even at 300bhp its already quick enough to make every corner on every track ive been on interesting, so mission accomplished really!

Evo 5 RS
Oh s**t, not good. Yeah I'd say 300bhp is probably about as good as it gets. A lot of power to put through the front wheels in a car that weighs less than me. I'd be happy in the MPS with 300/300 let alone a Clio.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh s**t, not good. Yeah I'd say 300bhp is probably about as good as it gets. A lot of power to put through the front wheels in a car that weighs less than me. I'd be happy in the MPS with 300/300 let alone a Clio.

Yeah no point in more for what I use it for, which is just having fun on trackdays, more power than I had will allow me to be slightly quicker in the middle of long straights, and thats it, wont be any quicker in any bend, and its the bends I find interesting so thats why I wanted the extra power as in a good handling but low powered car like a standard 172 too often you get to a bend and go right through it on full throttle without ever getting to enjoy trying to take the bend properly as the car just hasnt got upto enough speed to allow you to do so.

Take combe which at the time I got the clio turbo was my local track for example:
Quarry -good corner in a standard clio
first chicane - good corner in a standard clio
Right after first chicane- boring as you cant get fast enough to need to try hard
Next left - boring as you cant get fast enough to need to try hard
Quarry - good corner
Second chicane - good corner
Right after second chicane - boring as you cant get fast enough to need to try hard
Camp - good corner
Folly - you dont even notice it

So out of 9 corners, I was finding that 4 of them were really frustrating in the standard car.

With 300bhp though, everything except for folly becomes a challenge, and in the wet even that one is interesting

So I reckon 300bhp is a good place to be if you want to enjoy all the corners on a track :)

Well quick update:
Leaking radiator tigged, and intercooler and piping has gone back to black.
null_zpsfbe694cd.jpg

And a new set of pads after I was out braking the ds2500's at Bedford I've gone for 3000's
null_zps9b5e2c3b.jpg

Well first outing at come today, did well. Came up to the back markers twice in 1 15 minute session. Was knocking on 135 at Avon rise before braking.

It could really benefit from a diff now, power out of the bends was the main issue!
null_zps4c8ae3b7.jpg

Yeh, I did come up behind a 328 at camp again but the extra power certainly made light work of getting past him at folley. Must admit I didn't think a 6am injector and spark plug change would have been on the cards!

So, after chasing an issue that it wouldn't supply any more than 8psi, I was out doing some ign mapping and found that I started to loose even more, at one point it couldn't give any more than 4psi. Quick look under the bonnet had found the air filter was collapsing on itself just revving it, letalone at full chat.
null_zps37a5f18a.jpg

New setup made, but it's only temporary until I relocate the battery to move the filter to a more temperature friendly place. Since fitting it I'm now seeing 10psi, and I've had to at 7.5% more fuel to the higher load sites so it's certainly getting more air, so hopefully more power!!

Was going to use bridgwater college's rollers.

However tempting fate saying what I did this morning. Took it for a blast earlier and it's lost compression on a cylinder. Exactly the same way chips did at Bedford. We both have meggy injectors in, so I'm beginning to wonder if it's leaning out slightly and causing det, especially as I have mapped mine on the conservative side, with not much advance and low 11'a afr.

Think I've had a change of heart, I'm going to keep the supercharger, just because of how well it drives with it, and it's different as Dom said. So it'll be rebuilt over the winter when I have time/motivation. Along side getting the 20vt done.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Think I've had a change of heart, I'm going to keep the supercharger, just because of how well it drives with it, and it's different as Dom said. So it'll be rebuilt over the winter when I have time/motivation. Along side getting the 20vt done.

Good decision, its a cool car :)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Glad the supercharger is staying. At least for the foreseeable future! :) You should have had some toast, though. It was very nice with marmalade. :)

Once the Trophy is back and running I'll give you a shout; a bit of a drive, a few pics and some grub along the way. Sorted!

KTM 990 SD / S60 D5

:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.