ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

crashed/insurance help

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
and fireman last nite sed that was th 2nd accident there within a week...first car missed th pole n took out a parked car just behind it

Fireman? Who called the Fire Brigade Alessandro? Who actually took your car to the pound?

The answers to these questions could tell you what could happen next.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
It probably doesn't matter who called them actually. The fact they were called to the scene would ( I would have thought), been enough for them to report the incident to the Police themselves.

Can anyone confirm that?

Ang

Pink/Blue 182
I know its not clear whether the police know about this or not, but considering the Fire Brigade have been involved I guess its safe to say the police are aware.

Aside from the undeclared mods that will probably nullify your insurance, driving without a valid MOT Test Certificate is an offence, which carries a maximum penalty upon conviction of £1000.....although I have been told varying figures on this in the passed.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
can anyone else feel the love? :eek:

christ mate your a bit of a c**t.

unlucky mate ... its just one of these things most of us learn from. crashing, makes you a better driver from the experience. and from what ive read it was down to inexperience.

what i dont understand is how the fire brigade were there but not the police ??
unfortunately no MOT and 'non-disclosure' = no cover. i think if u had an MOT u might have got away with it but they would have charged you a higher excess or years premium for the priviledge

usually if the police charge you for no MOT then youl just be fined about £60. its more for reoffenders

Clio 172 Cup
Agree that the MOT thing is unexcusable but having a crash at that at age does makes you think twice about every decision you make with your car for next few years. I am 25 now but had a right off when i was 17 it was entirely my fault but i learned such a valuable lesson. You soon learn that the faster you drive the more money it costs you as well.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
can anyone else feel the love? :eek:

unlucky mate ... its just one of these things most of us learn from. crashing, makes you a better driver from the experience. and from what ive read it was down to inexperience.

unfortunately no MOT and 'non-disclosure' = no cover. i think if u had an MOT u might have got away with it but they would have charged you a higher excess or years premium for the priviledge

usually if the police charge you for no MOT then youl just be fined about £60. its more for reoffenders

Are the Police likely to pursue him for an invalid Insurance too? I am guessing that both offences may come with the added inconvenience of points . Is that right?

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Just read the whole thing. Seems like all these young whippersnappers seem to have the answer to everything. The majority of posts made by jjoe90 are just cr*p. Also, sort out your grammar and punctuation, its like trying to read a 5 year olds story they wrote at school.
The original poster has made an error, big deal. He will learn from it but give him a break and don't keep jumping on the bandwagon.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182

Are the Police likely to pursue him for an invalid Insurance too? I am guessing that both offences may come with the added inconvenience of points . Is that right?

its doubtful that would happen tbh. the police will just look at it as a simple human error mistake or inexperience and he'll just get a fine.

also doubt the insurance will inform the police for something as minor as this as someone said earlier. i certainly wouldnt inform them

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +

its doubtful that would happen tbh. the police will just look at it as a simple human error mistake or inexperience and he'll just get a fine.

Well that's some good news, let's hope you're right.

I know some peple will say there is no excuse for not having an MOT, but it is easy enough to overlook it, especially when you are young and have loads of other things going on around you.

I honestly feel sorry for the poor guy. He made a slight error of judgement and now his Insurance company are going to reap the benefits.

Alessandro; I hope you manage to get this sorted out with the minimum of fuss and cost. Hopefully your car is repairable too.

Good luck mate.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It's unfortunate that all the issues you mention (Alessandro) probably don't mean much on their own. But combined? They don't paint a rosy future.

Tbh, you may get the light treatment - slapped wrists, a fine, don't-do-it-again sort of thing. Then again, you maybe dragged over the coals on this.

It's really difficult to say. The winner in all of this will be the futher muckas at the insurance company - which if the situation involved myself, I would be more annoyed at, than trashing the car. If there is the slightest possible way of not involving the insurance company in this - then do so. Otherwise you will be botty-bashed for years on this with the increased premiums.

Best of luck with it all!

D.

Less
maybe you got to just face all thats coming, go to the local nick, tell em what has happend.... I really do doubt in this day and age you will get away with it.

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
Just read the whole thing. Seems like all these young whippersnappers seem to have the answer to everything. The majority of posts made by jjoe90 are just cr*p. Also, sort out your grammar and punctuation, its like trying to read a 5 year olds story they wrote at school.
The original poster has made an error, big deal. He will learn from it but give him a break and don't keep jumping on the bandwagon.

right just got in from work

jumping on the bandwaon sorry but it seems i am the bandagon,

and i have also ask four people about this, all over 30 and four similar answer were given to me,
one, female teacher 31yr old said, proboby going too fast,
two, male ict technician 34, more likly going too fast not enough driving experiance
three, brother 31yr old young lad too fast
mate from gym 35 said he had done this befre andhe was showing off.

I cant understandhow peopleare being sympthtic, its as plane as young lad 17 1st car wraped it up.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +

right just got in from work

jumping on the bandwaon sorry but it seems i am the bandagon,

and i have also ask four people about this, all over 30 and four similar answer were given to me,
one, female teacher 31yr old said, proboby going too fast,
two, male ict technician 34, more likly going too fast not enough driving experiance
three, brother 31yr old young lad too fast
mate from gym 35 said he had done this befre andhe was showing off.

I cant understandhow peopleare being sympthtic, its as plane as young lad 17 1st car wraped it up.

We are being sympathetic purely because the young lad admits he probably braked too hard in wet conditions and lost it. We can all see how that might happen with a young inexperienced driver even at the legal speed limit. I am sure we have all made a slight error in judgement at one time or another and so therefore can understand how this can happen without showing off.

At the end of the day he wasn't asking for sympathy, but those of us who understand his situation , gave it anyway. All he was asking for was some advice on how to handle the situation, and most of us tried our best to do just that.

It will not help him to constantly bombard him with negative comments about his driving. I therefore respectfully ask that you refrain from dishing out all the negative comments and either try and help with some constructive advice or just stay quiet.

Last edited:
  CB600FS
Could always try to get a quick MOT on the side done.

Nope, can't be done anymore those days are gone. The new fully electric MOT system has stopped any of this stuff happening, not like the old style certificates scribbling out dates etc, everythings logged.

If I where you I'd try and pay for it myself and just count your losses, not go through insurance if possible. If you do it might be worth trying to rip your exhaust off and changing your stereo back to standard if you can get in the compound.

As for insurance in general, they've got you by the b****cks, cost going up, excess going up, when you do crash and its not your fault, it goes up anyway, you can't win. The ironic thing is all the people putting in dodgy claims gaining say £500 would probably have saved £500 on the policy if no-one did it.

Clio 1.4 Dynamique
cheers for all th advise lads...
police do no about it as sum1 called them 2 th scene aswell as th ambulance...
went dow th local station yday 2 produce my documents n she notices about my m.o.t i just acted shocked n sed i thort it ran out end of july, bit stupid but nothin else i could do...
got a caution and its goin bak 2 th officer who was at th scene, n he chooses wat happens, weather its just a slap on th wrists, take me 2 court, fine etc...so we'll see wat happens...just tryin 2 get a statement 2gether for wen he turns up...
got sum pics of my car , will post up soon...went 2 compound yday aswel n took sound system out n other things...then insurance r lookin at it, then im gunna go down wit dad n mate n take everythin off it 2 sell and try n get as much money as i can from sellin parts...

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
the insurance paid out on my dad when he crashed without MOT, he hadn't realised it had lapsed 3 weeks earlier and ran into a very expensive merc. they paid out, but gave him a lower value settlement on his van (about £400 less) due to the lack of MOT

172 cup

After seeing that id say count yourself lucky your alive nevermind worrying about getting a few points mate.

Just take whats coming to ya, you seem like a nice enough lad and obviously regret what happened. Maybe you will end up with a slap on the wrist and that will be that but i dont think insurance will even consider paying out at all.

good luck

Less
from those pics... no way were you doing 25-30.... much faster IMO... thats one hell of a smash!!!!

Just be honest feller... come back to the forums a little wiser

25-30mph impact speed could do that sort of damage don't forget it's a small surface area that he's hit with being a post. If he has aquaplaned he would'nt have been slowing down much at all either.

alien green rs133
on the issue of insurance, my mate in a fiesta drove into my mate in a swift, both fairly new cars, traveling too close in convoy, mate in fiesta was paying near enuff 2 grand for his insurance its now more or less 5 grand, his parents are well pissed as the fiesta was mainly theirs lol

edit: just to add must of been a fair smack into that post if its creased the roof!!!

CB600FS
from those pics... no way were you doing 25-30.... much faster IMO... thats one hell of a smash!!!!

Just be honest feller... come back to the forums a little wiser

To be fair modern cars are designed to have the crumple zones etc so wouldn't be suprised if that was 25/30mph, not forgetting Clio wings are made of plastic, as is most of the front end.

In between cars....
yeah the front ends are made to near enugh fall apart to take a crash and hitting a post there isnt going to be any give there, i think if it had been faster than 30 itd have been a lot worse

how you been getting on with things anyway allesandro?

Astra coupe
Still looks like a bit faster than 30. but I wasn't there so i'm not going to accuse of anything. When i wrote my clio off in january, i rang the police up and reported it, no-one else involved so they just came and put police tape on it and told me to get it out the ditch and towed away by the morning.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
on the issue of insurance, my mate in a fiesta drove into my mate in a swift, both fairly new cars, traveling too close in convoy, mate in fiesta was paying near enuff 2 grand for his insurance its now more or less 5 grand, his parents are well pissed as the fiesta was mainly theirs lol

edit: just to add must of been a fair smack into that post if its creased the roof!!!

the roofs are designed to crumple or ripple, all clios do it if they are hit in the right places.

hope ur doin ok hun, did u have whiplash or anything?

Focus ST
i wrote off a car and it had an iduction kit in it, didn't tell insurance and it was still fine, also my insurance only went up 60 quid (was under my dads name mind)

Punto/Clio GTT
firstly, god you people have way too much to say, the ammount of drivvel in this thread is unreal.

secondly, that looks more than a 25mph crash to me, but what do i know, i only fix cars all day.

thirdly, is there anyway you can get the exhaust off the car in the yard? maybe speak to the manager, offer some money?

apart from that, just bend over and use this as a learning point.

A money pit
Personally I would just consider yourself lucky to be in one piece. If you can get the exhaust off somehow do it, else just be honest and face the consequences if it gets picked up. If you explain things properly and honestly with the police officer who will be dealing with you, then you might be ok when the cps make a decision on whether to pursue a case or not. Things always come back to bite you in the arse when you lie!

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
the insurance paid out on my dad when he crashed without MOT, he hadn't realised it had lapsed 3 weeks earlier and ran into a very expensive merc. they paid out, but gave him a lower value settlement on his van (about £400 less) due to the lack of MOT

looks like there is still hope mate. ^^

What are peoples opinions on what he should do now, when his insurance company ask for his documents etc, including his MOT. should he send them everything but the MOT, say he lost it?? (im guessing they would then get on to VOSA and find it had expired)
or
tell them the MOT ran out. given the time of day taking people home from work in the rain i dont think he can say he was on his way to a test station.
or any other ideas......

as for the police officer who is now dealing with it, tell him about the accident there the week before. given the rain and a sincere approach on the MOT which you genuinaly had not noticed. he may just fine you rather than get you in s**t, points etc...

and if your car hasnt already been inspected, get the back box of if u can m8

N.B. Good m8s with this guy, not the sort to bother showing off after a days work in the rain. i doubt he was.

Mondeo ST220
hope you get this al sorted mate.

the clio is like paper at the front so i can beleive that was a 25-30 crash.

we live and learn and i think its a little harsh to just generalise and say he was showing off and driving stupidly. sounds like he is admitting he braked too hard but that can be put down to a combination of weather conditions and inexperience. We don't know so can't simply say he was driving stupidly

Breaking A 172 Replica
IMO that could quite easily be a 25-30mph crash.

I hit a lamp post at about 10mph and it fucked the bonnet and bent the front cross member and buggered the bumper.

If you do break it I will take the fuses and the fuse cover off your hands ASAP!

Sam

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
anyone got any advice on the MOT expired situation, is this 100% grounds to not pay out, does anyone know for SURE.

Suppose someones car is fully comprehensively insured and has no MOT, is sitting on the drive and is declared off the road when somebody poors painstripper over it. Despite no MOT the insurance company would certainly still have to pay out. I think he is insured with direct line, does anyone have this boolet available to produce any quotes from it with reguard to MOT etc...

anymore advice or constructiive information for the guy??