ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

crashed/insurance help

Clio 1.4 Dynamique
crahed my car pretty bad...lost it round a corner n went head first in2 a electricity pole n snapped the pole in half...
not sure wether cars a rite off yet...think it prob is...is in sum compound n so im gunna go hav a look tomorro...
car has a backbox on it which i havnt declared and a sound system aswell which havnt told insurance about?? also my cars m.o.t ran out few weeks bak but i was unaware...so insurance arent gunna pay out i dnt think??? any idea on wat i can try n do please??

Leon Cupra R 225
no way will they pay out with those mods not declared and mot running out!

sorry to say but your fooked

Clio 1.4 Dynamique
if i say exhaust was on there wen i bort it...n go 2 th compound tomorro n rip th sounds system out??

Clio 1.4 Dynamique
yea i no mate...fukin pissed off! is there no way at all i can try n get round this?? im only 17 n just finished exams...no way i can get enough for a new car!!

Clio 1.4 Dynamique
used sum money left from grandparents etc n then parents payed th rest mate...
if i do get another car...will my insurance go up n if so how much??

Leon Cupra R 225
alot probably...

fricking loads! not sure how much but it'll nearly double I guess.

prob better to get insured on your rents car if its close by or something like that. be cheaper than a full policy while your a young driver still. just an idea.

mate crashed my clio 1.2 insurance went from 300 to 1195 for the 172 cup i replaced it with then 4 months later i wrote the cup off and the insurance went up to 2100 for my new 182 and touch wood its been ok for the 2 and 3 quarter years ive had it lol x

who you insured with ???

if its elephant your fucked big time took them 4 months to pay out

learn from ur mistakes sunshine i no it seems hard but

remember this your alive and at the end of the day its only a piece of metal

Leon Cupra R 225
cheers for ur help mate...hasnt sunk it yet! only happened 2nite! is fukin s**t!
cheers again

no probs mate. I run a kid over when I was 18 in my 1st car, was totally the kids fault, but still the s**t it puts you through is a b*****d.

chin up, car's aren't everything. at 17 I cared more about booze and pulling birds!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I can see how as you're only 17, but how can you let an MOT run out for a few weeks without noticing until you crash... It's like not checking engine oil until it's seized up at the side of the road..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Will he have to tell the insurance though? If he hasn't made a claim? Because he can't due to mot? Might be better to not go through insurance to avoid premium rise. Or am i missing something?

clio...
Don't go through your insurance If you haven't reported it. Get a bill for fixing it...cause it will sure as hell be a lot cheaper then your quote next year. Get some pictures up, see whats what.

Could always try to get a quick MOT on the side done; If you do want to go through insurance, as already been said. Rip all the stuff you didn't declare on insurance.

197cup
I work in insurance an if you've not declared anything your insurance is invalid - regardless of the MOT! Also if you've crashed in2 property belonging a 3rd party(electric company) the police may well get involved where you would potentially get a ban for driving with no MOT (un roadworthy vehicle) and no insurance.

Sorry mate but you're neck deep

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
I personally would try to pay for the pole myself, one of my mates crashed my old car [once he bought it from me] into a sign post and the council charged him for it not through insurance. Then I would either scrap or repair the car and continue driving it. I wouldnt tell my insurance as you gunna get spanked for the next few years.
And got to have a dig but one im sure you were going too fast as im sure everyone at 17 18 has done. and how the hell did you forget about you MOT.

Im guessing because the car is in the impound then the police did become involed. Or wouldnt it have gone to his house/wherever he told them to drop it.

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
I work in insurance an if you've not declared anything your insurance is invalid - regardless of the MOT! Also if you've crashed in2 property belonging a 3rd party(electric company) the police may well get involved where you would potentially get a ban for driving with no MOT (un roadworthy vehicle) and no insurance.

Sorry mate but you're neck deep

In brown slimy poo

Clio 200
Lets show a little compassion for the poor bloke, im sure all the negative comments wont help but I understand yr just telling him how it is.
However Alessandro, sorry to hear about the accident & glad yr ok. Remember that all insurance companies are different but it prob would be worth ripping off the backbox before the assessor sees the car.
I know of a case where a car was written off. The owner had put a private number plate on the car and forgot to tell the insurance company so the plate on the car and the 'mark' the insurance company had were different. The insurance company payed out! I know its not like yr case but just highlighting the fact there sometimes is light at the end of the tunnel!

Are you sure that your insurance will be effected by not having a MOT? You are allowed by law to drive your car to and from test centers places of repair when your MOT has run out.

Mat.

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
yes or I would never get an MOT. mind dew wouldnt be able to tax it then.
And for the guy who said show some comppasion, Im guessing he was fukin about showing off, I bet you wouldnt be showing compaion if some one you knew was walking next to that pole.
Happen where i work that guy came round a corner at 35 in a 30 back end kicked out tried to catch it griped and shot him off the road as he was still tryin to compesate for the sliding knocked a woman 30ft into a ditch, 5mph that was over too.

Just looked at my insurance documents and it does say you require an MOT where required by law, so I take it this gives you the leeway to drive to an MOT station. Did you do it a sensible time of day, so you could have been taking it to get repaired?

Mat.

Shed.
cheers for ur help mate...hasnt sunk it yet! only happened 2nite! is fukin s**t!
cheers again

no probs mate. I run a kid over when I was 18 in my 1st car, was totally the kids fault, but still the s**t it puts you through is a b*****d.

chin up, car's aren't everything. at 17 I cared more about booze and pulling birds!

true but the car is like a magnet lol. and im 18 and love cars lol.

mate your best bet is to not claim lol. i dont know how it al works n s**t so i dunno if theyll come and have a look at it.

id get your car out the copound and declare it off the road untill you can afford to fix it. I HOPE you have a part time job so the damages can be repaired..............

i al;lmost came off a oroundabout last night i totally loset controll . i wasnt going all that fast either, could feel the car starting to spin and i allmost lost it and crashed it into the car in the outside lane. managed to correct it though, but tbh its the worst loss of controll ive ever had in a year and a bit of driving.

get some photos up of the damage and some of us will be able to advise you on what to do.

Clio 200
jjoe90-how do you know he was 'showing off'? He is a young lad in a reasonable pacey car for that age, im guessing his experience is minimal!

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
Sorry to hear about your accident mate. Glad you're ok.

When it comes to the MOT, you are only allowed to drive a car without an MOT, to and from a testing station. However, if you have no proof that that is where you were taking it at the time of the accident, then the car will be classed as unroadworthy.

So,

#1. No MOT.

Without an MOT your insurance will be void.

#2. No Insurance.

If you inform your insurance company about the accident and they come to assess your car, they will find it has a backbox and other bits that you have not declared, again this means your insurance is void. Also, (correct me if I am wrong here guys), but when you report the accident your Insurance company will want details of your MOT. If you can not give them those details, one of two things can happen. They will either just refuse to pay out anything and then you are on your own, or they could decide to report you to the Police for no MOT and no Insurance. This means you could lose your license.

In this situation my advice would be, do not inform your insurance comapny of the acident. Get your car taken back home and assess the damage as to whether it can be repiared or not. If not, strip it and sell the parts for cash.

Speak to the Electricity company and arrange to pay for the damage on a monthly basis, unless of course your parents can pay the lot for you and you can pay them back.

As far as I can see this is the only way to save your neck. If however you have already informed you insurance company, you had just better keep your fingers crossed. As far as I know, if a car has been taken to a pound after an accident where insurance might be involved, you will not be allowed to go and take any bits off of it until it has been assessed, so stripping the backbox and other bits isn't really an option.

Good luck mate!

In between cars....
yeah i was gonna say the same as rodds, i wouldnt be worrying as much about writeing the car off or the loss of the value of the car,

id be more worried about the police getting involved and chargeing you with something.

also if your insurance wont pay for third party damage the electricity company will have two options, pay for the repairs them selves or sue you for damages.

as for trying to say the back box and that was on when you bought it, ignorance is no excuse and you should know and declare everything that has been done and driveing without an mot is your own fault bud.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
yeah i was gonna say the same as rodds, i wouldnt be worrying as much about writeing the car off or the loss of the value of the car,

id be more worried about the police getting involved and chargeing you with something.

also if your insurance wont pay for third party damage the electricity company will have two options, pay for the repairs them selves or sue you for damages.

as for trying to say the back box and that was on when you bought it, ignorance is no excuse and you should know and declare everything that has been done and driveing without an mot is your own fault bud.

Harsh, but true.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I don't think the mods would invalidate it to be honest. In my experience, they're not bothered - I know they say they are and technically you should always declare everything of course, but when I was 18 my mate crashed his Corsa into an Ambulance of all things, he had alloys, clear rear lights, eye brows, big sound system etc - obvious stuff - and the assessor from Direct Line didn't even bat an eyelid at them - even though he took photos and a video of the car, they were never mentioned. I think you'd get away with an exhaust and you'd definately get away with a stereo.

However, the lack of the MOT is a bit of a bigger problem. You could just try not mentioning it and see what happens... If you didn't get a producer then I can't actually see anyone asking to see the MOT...

The electric company will definately be looking to claim off your insurance mind you...

Dan

In between cars....
i really dont mean to seem harsh buddy it didnt look very nice after i posted and reread it but there really are no excuses here.

and insurance, elecyricity company and in the worst case police are not going to be sympathetic, and as mentioned earlier its incidents like this that drives everybody elses premiums up

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
jjoe90-how do you know he was 'showing off'? He is a young lad in a reasonable pacey car for that age, im guessing his experience is minimal!
ermm 17 yrold lad, did you drive sensible at that age, i know i didnt and every lad i know didnt.

In between cars....
for what its worth i know a guy recently who was involved in an incident, he wasnt at fault but had mods similar to what you mentioned, he told his insurance company about them after the bump and they let him pay the extra to cover them

MOT i think might have you shafted though but youll just need to keep ure fingers crossed

197cup
Iridium - Are you mad?? The minute insurance companies get involved with young drivers and the police all bets are off! Sorry to keep being so negative but in situations like this you gotta assume the worse - the insurance company will not turn a blind eye to anything - esp if there is a risk of having to pay out to policy holders and 3rd party clients. If insurance companies turned a blind eye why are they so insistant on declaring ANY non standard modifications no matter how minimal - you have to tell your insurance company about eberything or your policy is invalid.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
ermm 17 yrold lad, did you drive sensible at that age, i know i didnt and every lad i know didnt.

You really can't say that because he is 17 he was driving like an idiot and showing off. That is generalising, which just isn't fair! You can not tar everyone with the same brush. I know some very responsible young drivers, so unless you know for a fact that this is the case, I think an apology for generalising is in order mate.

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v

You really can't say that because he is 17 he was driving like an idiot and showing off. That is generalising, which just isn't fair! You can not tar everyone with the same brush. I know some very responsible young drivers, so unless you know for a fact that this is the case, I think an apology for generalising is in order mate.

Ermm good for you, you apolgize then, MATE