ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Widearch Volvo Turbo (B18FT) Mega Bass Project almost complete

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
don't worry about the comments. I know i'm in the wrong place for this kind of thing. Luckily i'm not the kind of person that takes things to heart and always finishes what i start if i want it enough. In a weird way the negative comments spur me on to show everyone that its not gonna be as bad as people think it will be...I can guarantee some of the people who say they hate it will still be hovering round it at a show when the system demo's start..lol

Its not the 90s anymore, surely the novelty of big sound systems has worn off on all but a few chavvy teenagers?

I really do think if you are hoping to get positive input from sensible people you aer pitching it wrong, it just looks massively out of date and completely tacky, and filling it full of audio kind of makes that worse if anything TBH.

If you like it and enjoy looking at it then that is was matters as its you that has to see it most often, but personally I will be surprised if many others do other than a few chavs.

Lots of work gone into it, so can appreciate the effort, but personally I think its totally hideous.

Some horrible comments. Well done for trying to be different than the euro scene of 'Clean, slammed & a set of alloys' Keep going & will enjoy seeing a blast from the past!

Or standard styling but engine mods. But each to their own.

PB Clio 172
I agree with Chip 10-12 years ago this car would have been a dream for a young lad. I cringe at how much money must have gone into this........ and at the end of the day just being honest btw your car cant be worth more than £800 ! it doesn't matter what you do to it!

hats off to you at 30 still into the Max Power era but I think you are mad ! ;)

I enjoyed reading your thread and will keep a look out for an update

Imo though, it looks really bad and i'd burst out laughing if i seen a grown man driving about in something like your car.

This to be honest.

Can't begin to imagine why on earth you would want a car looking like this.

I'd be far to embarrassed to be seen in that personally.

If you like it though and are happy to drive around in it then that's all that matters!

Yekshemesh

Clio Widearch
I suppose we all have our things that we like. To me driving about in a standard looking car is boring....anyone can do that. If all there is to see at a show is engine mods and is all about power then what is there to really go and see as the cars don't move (unless its a track day and they are only fun if you're driving yourself)

I see a lot of people buying a modified car for next to nothing and then saying they are going to be putting everything back to standard and everyone on the forums goes bonkers for the idea...what's the point. Just buy a top condition standard example in the first place and save yourself a whole load of money. Don't get me wrong i like to see a well maintained and looked after classic car but why bother with a 20 year old Astra. If you're going to do a restoration rather than what i would class as a modified car then do it on a proper classic...buy a Morris Minor and make a hot rod or something. But people do it....because...they want to :) same as me.

The current trend, (which covers the majority of the modified world for now) is to buy a half decent hot hatch, lower it 10mm, stick some better bushes and a towing eye on it and call it modified....i'm sorry..it isn't. If you're willing to be daring and maybe add a sticker in the back window, you can't as you'll be exiled and banned from every forum in the world and your friends will take the mick.

How i see is that i have 3 cars....1 is styled exactly to my personal tastes and houses my biggest love (Audio), 1 has plenty of power and is my dream car out of any car ever (Supra) and the other is for the work commute but still has plenty of grunt (MG ZS Turbo). I'm very happy with my collection

Whether you like it or not, if its in 5 years or 15 years...people will get bored of the current trends and go back to being extreme again..its just natural progression and circulation of trends.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I suppose we all have our things that we like. To me driving about in a standard looking car is boring....anyone can do that.

Anyone can drive around in a nasty chav monstrosity as well, ebay is full of them for peanunts.

Whether you like it or not, if its in 5 years or 15 years...people will get bored of the current trends and go back to being extreme again..its just natural progression and circulation of trends.

you sound like a middle aged man in a shell suit or a pensioner in flared trousers, lol.

Clio Widearch
That's very true but a lot of the modified cars out there are literally just a set of Halfords rims, lowered a bit, backbox and some stickers to hide the rust..hence why they're peanuts...cos they'll last about 20 minutes.

And although i'm 32 i'm very young at heart and look it....luckily..lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
  Clio Widearch
exactly. its been thrown together with not much thought about how things would work by the looks of things.

I can see where you're going with your idea and i can even see why you may think i'm kind of on the same route with how mine looks right now...when its finished it will be much better than that saxo..lol

Clio Widearch
​Did a bit of work on the front end today. The bonnet was never quite level so made both sides the same. You may not be able to tell the difference but its much better close up

Old front end

1_zps76d63c41.jpg

New front end

DSCF0660_zps371e37bf.jpg

And a bit of sanding done

DSCF0661_zps65768648.jpg

And a pic of my fleet all together :)

DSCF0663_zps203c2d55.jpg

330Ci cab
i like the wheels.

that is all. really.

each to their own and that, but by christ thats horrific. sell it to some spaz kid and rid yourself of it. i havent read through the full thread either, just the first 15 or so posts and i already came to the conclusion of 'its turd, you cant polish a turd'. sorry to piss on chips etc, your 30 something, build something with power and purpose, or restore something, not try and relive MAX POWER

​im hungover, this is s**t. im out already

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
good effort on your behalf driving that at 32 and not worrying about what people think, im a bit conscious that I look a bit old for my car driving a standard 172 at 24!

Clio Widearch
lol..age doesn't worry me too much. I suppose it is a bit weird but at least i don't look 32. All being well the car will be finished and tested for the start of show season next year so late March...will be tight though.

good effort on your behalf driving that at 32 and not worrying about what people think, im a bit conscious that I look a bit old for my car driving a standard 172 at 24!

I'm 25 but look like a 12 year old so I suit the cup quite nicely. Love it when the 17 year olds don't realise it's a 2 litre when they're sat revving at traffic lights.

Clio Widearch
don't worry about going off topic. This cars not built for speed...the supra behind the MG is though :) I'm only paying £170 a year to insure that on classic insurance. It costs more to tax it every year...lol

Sounds like a few of you have had some quick cars in your time. My car list is up to about 30ish with some quick ones in that list now but this clio was my first when i was 18...which may be part of the reason why i've carried on with it to the level we're at now.

PS - I have someone coming to have a look at it on Saturday to do some of the final prep stage..photos will be coming after the weekend.

Clio Widearch
The supra was 490bhp but the boosts been turned down slightly as i was pushing a bit with twins so now approx 450-460ish

Clio Widearch
​Plenty of work done this weekend which has been about 19 hours in total. The list is as follows:

Swage line put back in and boot smoothed
Boot panel gap narrowing completed
Boot line made straight
Front Fogs Removed and brackets improved
Sideskirts smoothed into rear arches
Aero fuel filler removed
Mirrors removed for some modifications (These will be blended into the doors to look smoother)
Front number plate recess removed
Lots and Lots of flatting and tidying in preperation for primer coat

DSCF0665_zps05322202.jpg

DSCF0667_zps39e6c1b3.jpg

DSCF0666_zpsfb27a67a.jpg

DSCF0668_zps133624dc.jpg

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
Respect for the amount of effort has gone into this, remember it from back in the day and in someways glad to see it still about. I started a wide arch mk1 in 2002, it never got finished and is still lying in my parents garage. i cringe when i think of the money's worth that is there but i always say that someday it will get done.

Good luck with this and will be good to see when it is finished. a subtle colour scheme should work well on this!!

Clio Widearch
The colour scheme will be Ford Frozen White with gloss black roof and accessories and blue wheels..fairly toned down

I hope to see your widearch out 1 day too :)

Clio Widearch
​Bit of after dark work going on..hard sanding work this one. I've only done 1 small one and i'm knackered..lol

These are the door protectors that i never liked as they always stick out too far and make everything look a bit chunky. I dont think the sides look right without them though so i've decided to modify them to be aesthetically pleasing.

Here's how it started

DSCF0670_zpscb7d050c.jpg

And after 4-5mm has been taken off

DSCF0669_zps9f994aea.jpg

A comparison between the 2

DSCF0671_zpse530eca0.jpg

Clio Widearch
haha..well the roof isn't going black as such...change of plan there. But white and black is always a nice clean colour combination

Clio Widearch
Finished work, hours drive back and managed to do 2 hours of sanding in muggy heat (came out looking like Lee Evans)....i must be keen to finish this thing.

I'm not sure which is gonna be finished first.....the car or me. :)

Clio Widearch
Plenty of work done today. The car is now in primer. There is still some work to do with touching up etc but the majority has come out pretty well

DSCF0733_zpsf29f457b.jpg

DSCF0732_zps6fc5f99f.jpg

DSCF0734_zps7113eb89.jpg

DSCF0735_zpsbe9d57d8.jpg

And a couple of photos of what it will look like when finished

DSCF0738_zpsea183fb5.jpg

DSCF0739_zpsf34d4ba0.jpg

Clio Widearch
lol There was a bit of overspray on it but i've managed to get it off before it set solid. Its due a machine polish anyway when its been repaired.

Glad you think its looking better too

clio 182
If the bonnet vent and bonnet grill was removed / smoothed this would be perfect, love seeing the old late 90's early 2000 style with modern additions!! Fair play mate will be watching this thread closely :-D