ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

l33th3tr33's Ultra red 197

This will all be copied over from 197.net so the first lot of posts will be a bit old but here goes....
So I picked up an ultra red 197 a few days ago, no big spec or anything, The only thing I really wanted was xenons but there was nothing close to me. When I say close, I drove 160 miles to pick this one up, and it was the closest ultra red one.
So on to the car. The only niggles are a small 5p sized hole in the lower bolster, a couple paint imperfections and the auto wipers don't seem to work. Otherwise all is great.

Here's a list of things to do/buy in the near future.

New front grilles (all 3) - DONE
Spray front and rear bumpers
Get small dent pulled out in boot lid
Fit headunit - DONE
Fit speakers to front (amped) - DONE
Figure out a way to hide amp (probably false floor or behind carpet) - DONE
Possibly spray dash strips Ultra red to match exterior
Different wheels
Spoiler
Splitter
Projector lights
Lowering springs (probably cooksport)
Tint rear windows (light/medium)
Short shifter
Retrimmed steering wheel (snappy)
Carbon goodies (haven't decided what yet)
Cone filter
Tidy up engine bay
Paint manifold and rocker cover
Silicone hoses
Tidy up calipers
B pillar seals - DONE
Replace door vinyls
Fix auto wiper setting (sensor)
Remap to sort cold start and kangarooing first gear
New number plates

That's about it off the top of my head, here's some pics I got earlier of what I'm working with.

35980148061_6c10f275f5_z.jpg

35723141900_834f5bc171_z.jpg

36072325906_04890a18e5_z.jpg

35980580081_43873cd809_z.jpg

35980794841_046224360c_z.jpg

Thought I may as well use the can of plastidip I ordered months ago! Sprayed the grills, much better! They don't want to clip in on the outer edge though so I'll look into that another time.

6b8f0622db29248261bc5a587e9c1328.jpg

edbe95e3d13ea99fc9156e3b3ad391ec.jpg

So I got a couple bits in the post today, nothing mega exciting, but got to work straight away, fitted a power flex torque arm bush. Sprayed the arm in black plastidip before it went back on, just another thing to tidy the bay up as I go along.
cac26dfb7afcee571d1c7f2859f0069b.jpg

The most exciting bit though.... when I opened the powerflex package I threw the bush on the floor and reached in to grab......
86f7dddd4c771ad1801459a9985252a3.jpg

A RED powerflex keyring!!
emoji41.png
Screw the parts I ordered, I'm happier with this
emoji23.png

Well a few more packages arrived today, so a bit to keep me busy this weekend. I got the b pillar seals as mine are beyond shot, some led's for the interior lights as mine had none in apparently, didn't even notice! Also a richbrook gear knob as the leather was peeling all over on the standard one, which I never liked the feel of. All to fit this weekend except for the gearknob which I went out and fitted. Had to twist the plastic locating sleeve off for the standard knob but that was easy.
Looks a million times better imo!

6db9062339bdc614fb8fe56e5600ca9e.jpg

Today's job...... replacing the mangled old b pillar seals. What a pig of a job!! Removing and refitting was easy, it was scraping all the old foam and glue off that was a nightmare!
Anyway it's all done now.
2342f428599c93dd6f75f07d62dd841a.jpg

577c3df4272077ac5b65d042fdba26cf.jpg

As you can see I need to replace the door vinyl which will be done as soon as I figure out what I want to use.

I also had the glovebox and centre console out to see what was stopping my number 2 fan from working and it was the typical melted plug and burnt pin on the resistor, so I'll get one ordered up.

While I was there I got my rca cable and remote lead routed properly for when I fit my amp to run my front and rear speakers which I've fitted. The Cabasse speakers are quite impressive but they're just not up to my standards.

Pic of my iPhone lead (even though I have Bluetooth) nice and hidden away.

6d3e056c658b1e0ad8b86a6672d0ec35.jpg

Also, I found a tracker that was half wired in, which would explain the remotes I found in the glovebox, something to do with a finance company and you get a code when you pay that months bill and another when you pay the next. Don't pay, no code, car won't run.
So that crap got ripped out and binned asap!

Fitted the pudsy bear as well, which was part of my first and second clio, so seemed fitting to put it on!

5a5c7e2096ac066c72a358155d8637a5.jpg

First lot of parcels have arrived, and while I was waiting for them I snapped/removed the diffuser! Both bolts snapped so I'm guessing it hasn't come off since the exhaust was fitted. It's zip tied on for now with some beefy zip ties so hopefully there's not enough heat in the area to melt them. Anyway.... the exhaust. No markings, so I don't have a clue what it is, maybe someone can help? I'm guessing eBay special.
70aaceaf8ae0baa351be5cfce50deb78.jpg

40b86a0699da9f1b2c1324372cf24831.jpg

6ca34eba0dc4587b071f478e3389b30c.jpg

26c48f0bd82ce80b7af4d95bb015afd2.jpg

3bd63cba45d09528c7156636dd074f5e.jpg

Also, if you hadn't guessed already I do like my music. The problem is I don't want a sub rolling around in the boot, and I don't want an under seat sub, so I took the only other route for acceptable bass. Not the most ideal in terms of sound stage but it produces an acceptable amount of mid bass. Cue the 6x9's in the parcel shelf. Now I'm not one for cutting into the standard shelf and chucking the speakers in and calling it a day, one it looks crap, draws attention and labels you a chav, and two it's yet another reason to break into a car. I don't know if people still do that for a set of 6x9's but I'm not taking the chance.
The only way I am going to achieve this is with a stealth shelf. For the grand total of £20 for mdf and carpet here's the finished result.
d2103aa65c3790e92517e84ffad65c6a.jpg

It looks as oem as possible apart from being completely flat, but it won't rattle and once I've got some string and connectors for the boot lid it'll lift the same as the oem shelf.
Just waiting on my power cable to be delivered and then I'll have the fun task of getting that through the bulkhead along with wires through the door grommit. I'll change the heater resistor at the same time while the glovebox is out.

And another set of parcels have arrived, it's been a busy day!
Got a load of bits from opie, so got to work doing a service.
832adb1a3a2663e520f275d4531c686d.jpg

I don't think the pollen filter has ever been changed by the looks of it, something that is often overlooked with a service. Should help keep the interior less dusty!
547ca2c49023a5a1406254aed949eaac.jpg

So the next lot of packages have some exciting bits, got it for an absolute steal providing nothing is damaged in transit.

Well I had a fun day running to and from the door to get parcels, had 5 in total! :smile: Finally got my amp in and all wired up, still need to do front speakers but I'm deciding wether to try and shoehorn my 6.5 comps in or just buy some 5.25's and be done with it. As expected, more than enough bass from the 6x9's and with the cabasse tweeters being so bright it evens out to a fairly good soundstage, more than acceptable anyway.
Sorted my heater resistor as well, the plug pins were different but it works so I'm happy.
Got my silver indicator bulbs as well so fitted the rears for now as the fronts will only be taken out within the next week or so anyway :wink: Also got my dogbone mount through but I'll fit that tomorrow if the weather allows. Just one more package and that's all of them for a while at least. I have a big expense coming up.....

Not a lot done today, fitted the lower engine polybush and degreased that general area, seems that the passenger shaft is weeping but I'll confirm that when I next have the engine bay stripped for better access.
I had my finger hovering over the 'confirm checkout' button earlier and bit the bullet. A hefty bill but the car is in desperate need....... Next week will be really exciting for me, can't wait! Fingers crossed the weather is good or I'll be getting soaked, nothing will stop me! 😂
I'm hoping to get at least one track day in this month but we'll see.
Plenty of pics and updates to come!

Looks fresh... ! Always liked them in Ultra Red.

Good fun to ring it's neck but outside of that I always found the 1*2's more responsive lower down. Maybe get it mapped and look into the usual mods.

Looks fresh... ! Always liked them in Ultra Red.

Good fun to ring it's neck but outside of that I always found the 1*2's more responsive lower down. Maybe get it mapped and look into the usual mods.
Thanks! The pics hide the front end stonechips very well.....
That's exactly what I'm looking into working around without boosting it, should be fun trying to figure that out!
Still got the white 172?

Meh not really into the idea of boosted Clio's unless they are rough as rats and dangerous lol.

The Clio is more of N/A fun car for me. Much rather have ITB's etc and stamp the go pedal more.

Yeah still got it but with Photobucket not allowing sharing anymore haven't bothered updating on here as my whole thread is useless now :(

Meh not really into the idea of boosted Clio's unless they are rough as rats and dangerous lol.

The Clio is more of N/A fun car for me. Much rather have ITB's etc and stamp the go pedal more.

Yeah still got it but with Photobucket not allowing sharing anymore haven't bothered updating on here as my whole thread is useless now :(

Oh yeah I'd love to have itb's but for the price of them you'd be mad to not boost. It's a lot of work for little gain so it'll be staying standard-ish.

Ah fair enough, I'm not sure if it's still being sorted or if it's done but I know one of the mods were sorting it but it'll take more time on here than 197.net as there's so much more content.
Fingers crossed it gets sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's been a while and typically forgotten to update here... Anyway.

Right so today I've been waiting for parcels but no joy so I decided to paint my cam cover, I was thinking silver but I didn't have any to hand so I used some left over cylinder black from my last build. I haven't done my inlet as I'm still undecided which colour I want. Black, silver or red are my choices.
71a58c9318a3e22955de0e83612b1138.jpg

d2efe9d14651bd4f5b31ef33c2cb4db7.jpg

The eagle eyed will notice I've got paint all over the oil filler cap but it won't clean up so it'll get a new one anyway. Something that always bugged me on my old clio.

Again, something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the exciting addition (to me anyway) of projectors!!! For the huge price of £80! They're not 100% perfect but I'll give them a good seeing to with the DA at some point.
Night and day difference, looks so much better.

4ee588e137237caacaabe52cd0717157.jpg

Looking back to my old mk2's there's actually a fair few things that I've thought of doing to the 197. One of those things was to get rid of the absolutely disgusting beige A pillars.
Bit of plastidip and sorted.

39a5e76d85e5d4e91ea5e76fbb32de03.jpg

I keep having all these ideas of what I can do and it's just like having my old cup, except I won't be stripping this and putting buckets in it. I hope. [emoji23]
Really impressed with the bog standard seats though, most supportive standard seat I've sat in.

So today was the day.....

I got some things in the post that I've been too excited about. My shocks were crashy and knocking all over the shop so I got a nice replacement...
0e6d21121c8f9608bbf98eb40dfe2673.jpg

0b08ea4e37875660969fe0b729717f7b.jpg

A nice set of b14's and some spacers!
I've heard that spacers take away from the handling to a degree so they'll be taken off when on track if they turn out to impair the handling too much, I'll have to do some back to back runs and see the difference.

I also got something that the car was in dire need of. It makes the car in my opinion and finishes the front end of the car off nicely. I also plastidipped the front emblem to see if I liked it, which I do so I'll decide wether to keep it matt/satin or buy a gloss cover.

5ed22d7a69e4b9fe2c0a3c12559774f0.jpg

3075bedd66a2e2fa5da61fe1374ed27d.jpg

Really love the look of the car now, and I can't stop looking at it. I think I made the right choice getting this over a mk2.

Here's what I've been doing today....

Sunstrip and yellow fogs. I fitted my led dipped beams while the bumper was off.
It seems that even with the standard suspension setup the fronts of the arches have worn through, so I had to get creative to not put a hole in my washer bottle. Pikey as you like, by its solid and isn't going anywhere. Tried to pull it off as hard as I could and the only thing that was going to break was the bottle itself!

82694aa4310538106a0c718c0f9393e5.jpg

a805d702d0b9cfb44e471c1060698e75.jpg

4e043df5f8abf38a1a6e6531ec3988f4.jpg

Nice project.

Regards the intermittent wipers if they're like the megane it might just be either the sensor or possibly the gel cover that sits over it. Mine had a windscreen replaced and they didn't put the gel pad back in which prevented the sensor from sensing..

That sits nice mate, i love the look of the mk 3's, needs a cup spoiler.

Great looking car that bud. Well done.

Looks mega. I can't believe how much spacers and Lows changes the look of these.

Are you fitting the cup spoiler too?

Beautiful car mate, sitting perfectly on those coils. But as above - crying out for a cup spoiler!

Thanks guys! In regards to the cup spoiler, that won't be going anywhere near this one I'm afraid, I've never liked them. It'll be getting a sprint spoiler when I decide to finally pull the trigger.

Nice project.

Regards the intermittent wipers if they're like the megane it might just be either the sensor or possibly the gel cover that sits over it. Mine had a windscreen replaced and they didn't put the gel pad back in which prevented the sensor from sensing..

I've heard that too, but I'm yet to look into it. After last nights rain I'll be getting it sorted asap! I'd imagine it's the sensor that's gone, as it's not had a new windscreen.
Any idea what they cost?

But it looks so agressive and cup racer-y as it is :( you have the agressive renaultsport splitter, get the agressive renaultsport spoiler to match :(

It looks like when the beemer kids put big gay wings on a 318, and I'm not having that [emoji23]

Subtle was the main aspect of this little project but it's slowly moving away from that. Either way a cup spoiler will never be fitted!

Do you have a project thread on 197.net or is it just on here? I remember you had yours back when I had the cup, but mk3s didn't interest me back then so never looked.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It looks like when the beemer kids put big gay wings on a 318, and I'm not having that [emoji23]

Subtle was the main aspect of this little project but it's slowly moving away from that. Either way a cup spoiler will never be fitted!

Do you have a project thread on 197.net or is it just on here? I remember you had yours back when I had the cup, but mk3s didn't interest me back then so never looked.

I was going to say, subtle is out the window now lol.

I think it's just on here. I stopped using 197.net ages ago

Go on. You're almost at full cup racer mode lol

IMG_3459.JPG
IMG_5871.JPG

I was going to say, subtle is out the window now lol.

I think it's just on here. I stopped using 197.net ages ago

Go on. You're almost at full cup racer mode lol

View attachment 1334988 View attachment 1334989

Cool, I'll have a gander tonight, might as well seeing as I've known you've had the car for so long!

Hold on, you haven't even got the skirts yet [emoji6][emoji23]

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Cool, I'll have a gander tonight, might as well seeing as I've known you've had the car for so long!

Hold on, you haven't even got the skirts yet [emoji6][emoji23]

I can just say get my jack under it as it is, and I catch the exhaust on some speed bumps and that's just on h&r springs.

As much as I'd like the skirts I think they'd end up getting torn off

Like the Princetown photos, who took them?

I vote a set of Megane 18's next? But in silver of course. With a sprint spoiler and perhaps back to clear fogs and chrome front badge again?

Alternatively a sprint spoiler and enjoying it will work just as well

I can just say get my jack under it as it is, and I catch the exhaust on some speed bumps and that's just on h&r springs.

As much as I'd like the skirts I think they'd end up getting torn off

Really? I have to drive up on a couple planks to get my jack under but I don't catch the underneath of mine anywhere! Must have some horrific speed bumps by you!

Like the Princetown photos, who took them?

I vote a set of Megane 18's next? But in silver of course. With a sprint spoiler and perhaps back to clear fogs and chrome front badge again?

Alternatively a sprint spoiler and enjoying it will work just as well

Thanks bud, I took them.
Standard wheels will be staying unless I can get some ultraleggeras cheap, Megane wheels are too similar and I want to stick with 17's.
I don't think I'll be changing much, but we'll see what happens in the future.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Really? I have to drive up on a couple planks to get my jack under but I don't catch the underneath of mine anywhere! Must have some horrific speed bumps by you!

It's got a stupid exhaust system on with a massive silencer in the middle that hangs lower than any other bit of the car. It needs chopping out tbh

It's got a stupid exhaust system on with a massive silencer in the middle that hangs lower than any other bit of the car. It needs chopping out tbh

What system is it? Mine is just an eBay special, fits quite well apart from the tips which are a bit too big and knock on the diffuser.