ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Widearch Volvo Turbo (B18FT) Mega Bass Project almost complete

Clio Widearch
It has been said before that i should maybe book myself in for some therapy or possibly even a padded room with no dangerous things lying about but some people have to do these things to show the world what can be achieved with a bit of elbow grease and learning on the job...lol

Astra derv
who cares wot other people say its not there car nor hav they gota drive it so screw them :rasp:, i think you have done an amazing job seems you aint a professional and the hours and work you have put into it is mental, like i sed i dnt like all the bodykits and never have but i love this car i think its looks gd all smoothed, people just wana see fast stripped cars nowadays but thats so boring and common urs is 1 of a kind its a shame you live so far away i would love to give you a hand with it, 4 pages of a3 more lik lol, glad the heating problem is sorted have you sorted it so it aint guna touch when the engine is moving? its so tight in there.

Clio Widearch
Yes that's sorted too. There is a good 20mm of clearance now after some modifying work to get the fan fitting further away and the rad closer to the front with some grinding and cutting work. I'm now working on the rear amp build as i'm fitting a new charging point for the 3rd bank of batteries and taking out the trimmed parts in preparation for the respray and cleaning. I'm also painting the new speaker grilles for the doors at the moment in a darker colour.... its all going well.

And i agree 100% The modifying scene has got boring now in my opinion and there is nothing to really see at shows these days.....time for a change. Thanks for the offer on the help too.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
who cares wot other people say its not there car nor hav they gota drive it so screw them :rasp:, i think you have done an amazing job seems you aint a professional and the hours and work you have put into it is mental, like i sed i dnt like all the bodykits and never have but i love this car i think its looks gd all smoothed, people just wana see fast stripped cars nowadays but thats so boring and common urs is 1 of a kind its a shame you live so far away i would love to give you a hand with it, 4 pages of a3 more lik lol, glad the heating problem is sorted have you sorted it so it aint guna touch when the engine is moving? its so tight in there.

Word

Astra derv
JHead if you dont like it dont comment :mad:! gdgd take it you grinded away abit of the slam panel? and what colour are you doing the speaker grills?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It has been said before that i should maybe book myself in for some therapy or possibly even a padded room with no dangerous things lying about but some people have to do these things to show the world what can be achieved with a bit of elbow grease and learning on the job...lol

You seem to be trying to show the world what could be done back in the 90s though, the way you are talking its like you are doing something new, not making a throwback copy of the nasty chavvy fibreglass litter the 90s was plagued by?

Whats your next new thing going to be? Flared trousers?

Clio Widearch
The scene will go full circle whether you like it or not. Its just the way it goes. Look at things like "Rat Look" cars. Tastes change and ideas change but the same things have a habit of coming around again.

This car was current in its previous form in 2003. It has now moved on from the ropey panel fitting and painted dashboard etc and gone into a more smoothed euro modern looking car (well i think so anyway)

Look at Dimma kitted Clio's. They were proper full on 90's (and a worse looking kit than mine i think). People have them now and others seem to like them. I personally don't like the Dimma kit because of the rear arch pattern but some people will still stand up for them as they were "original" and "retro" and are amazing.....pull the other one

2CanDan - no slam panel mods had to be made. I chopped all the fixing points off the rad with the grinder so it fit inside the standard hole but it was very tight. Taking a grinder to your new rad is a bit extreme but its worked well. I'll get a pic of the speaker grilles in place as they will be finished tonight and post it later. I'll put a before and after pic up so you can see what you think.

Range Rover Sport
The scene will go full circle whether you like it or not.

I'm not convinced it will, gone are the days of heavily modified cars. Police , insurance along with many other things changed how people styled there cars.

Around this way 5-10 years ago there were many nicely modified cars about. Now they are either very euro ( not keen ) or DIY modified again which look awful.

Credit where credit is due though, you've had this an extremely long time when most have and would have let go many years ago.

Hello from an old friend by the way lol.

Clio Widearch
i'm intrigued....i dont recognise your name. :) Who are you? :)

I have had it a long time and have spent silly figures on it (mainly audio) but i'm hoping when the final results are shown and compared to its previous incarnation, people may like it. :)

Astra derv
JHead what was so painful about wot i wrote?

oh rite fair enough yeah i wouldnt lik to put a grinder to a new radiator but at least it wrked out and didnt go wrong, yeah ok il wait for the pics and let you know what i think.

Range Rover Sport
JHead , what was so painful about wot i wrote?

oh rite fair enough yeah i wouldn't lik to put a grinder to a new radiator but at least it wrked out and didn't go wrong. Yeah ok il wait for the pics and let you know what i think.

At a quick glance, the above could be improved and less 'text' talk helps people read easier on forums. Of course this is my opinion though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
JHead what was so painful about wot i wrote?

Trying to read it, one big block of badly worded txt speak etc.

I realise we cant all speak the perfect queens all the time, but at least give what you right a quick skim read after to see if it vaguely reads ok?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I see what you did there!

Lol, that was just an honest mistake mate.

Like I said I dont personally care about perfect english, but at least make it easy to read.

Still the lad has said he will now, so no point going on about it.

Astra derv
Im just used to writing like that all the time thats all, if i do make a mistake dont bother commenting about it just a hard habit to get out of but i will try to write proper from now on.

Fair play on doing it & putting all of the time & effort in. I do remember the car from years ago. It's not my thing etc, but if you like it that's all that matters.

I can't see the whole scene going full circle though, I was right there in the Max Power days too, but I'm glad I don't get excited about those type of mods /cars any more.
Years ago I did like the old Dimma Kits, now though I just think they look sh*t.

I do like your Supra & to be honest I'd have put the money you put into the Clio into that instead & made it one of the most bonkers out there.

2004 1.5 DCi 100
When Ali G first appeared on screen in his 5 with THAT wing everybody in the cinema laughed. Should have told you something then. It was also a p*sstake. All that time, money, effort, blood, sweat and tears to produce something that looks like every other chavved up 106/saxo/nova on e-bay. Indervijewaul init?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I like this car minus the rear spoiler. Nice to see a Mk1 that's not rusty as well. used to remember the volvo engine swap being quite popular, why isn't it done these days? These engine must be fairly cheap now?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I like this car minus the rear spoiler. Nice to see a Mk1 that's not rusty as well. used to remember the volvo engine swap being quite popular, why isn't it done these days? These engine must be fairly cheap now?

Main reason is cause the engines are rubbish TBH
So now you can get an F4R or F4RT easily anyway, whats the point in a 1.7 8v?

Clio Widearch
Here's how it used to look

DSCF0131.jpg

And how it looks now with new grilles and in a better colour (I think) As its not so in your face. The old grilles were battered

DSCF0772_zps8200b1e7.jpg

And the surround for the clocks painted as it was silver. The gauges are custom made 0.7mm stainless steel if you wanted to know

DSCF0773_zps3a2d0be7.jpg

Clio Widearch
The Volvo turbo engines are a bit underrated in my opinion and ticks all the boxes for what i need.

If you're going for power then 190-200bhp is pretty easy to reach...with major mods they can get up to 300+

I picked it as it was a near enough straight swap, the alternator is the right place for the new one to be fitted and i do love a bit of dumpage..lol

Astra derv
yeah comments where everyone was moaning at me lol, yeah i agree the speaker grills look alot better but you need to spray the handle black now it looks out of place. and i really like the dials they look smart need a good polish but thats only minor.

Clio Widearch
mine was originally a 1.4RT but was an auto. As the volvo engine has the volvo gearbox and not the renault gearbox, the rev counter doesn't work now anyway :)

The handle and tweeter/mirror cover are both in grey leather so they can't really be painted. If you saw the whole interior you would see how it ties in. The seats have a grey panel down the middle and the gearstick gaitor is grey leather too.

Astra derv
oh right fair enough then just thought it looked abit odd but not so much now you've said that. oh s**t yeah forgot it was a 1.4 durrr but still i think mine was 8500rpm the limited got moved to i cant remember but anyway i love the dials you going to polish them or dont you bother?