ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio rally car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
The box is about 9k euro's , as far as I can tell it comes with the bellhousing to fit on the clio engine , if they mean the 197 block then as the sodemo engine needs a new block i'll see if the head will fit one and i'll use a 197 block , i'm still half tempted to build the 197 road car into a rally car over the next 6 months and just sell my car complete

Clio172cup rally car
I mean the same bell housing as the st75-14 on the clio 2 cups, same as mine, because you can get them from Rsport I think. If you sell yours compete you'd could buy the r3 maxi kit and convert the 197 :)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
The box is about 9k euro's , as far as I can tell it comes with the bellhousing to fit on the clio engine , if they mean the 197 block then as the sodemo engine needs a new block i'll see if the head will fit one and i'll use a 197 block , i'm still half tempted to build the 197 road car into a rally car over the next 6 months and just sell my car complete

197/200 is about 110kg heavier than an equivelant Mk2 so would stay with a Mk2...

Clio172cup rally car
Sorry for not having any updates lately been so busy getting the car ready and family just haven't had chance.
Well I finally got the car finished and log booked just before Christmas, so decided to entry the pembrey Xmas stages.
First stages was really slippery and covered in ice, I spun twice, slid into a tyre wall and even got lost! Lol second stage was going really well, even caught the car in front within the first half of the stage, as soon as I went to pass the dash lit up like a Xmas tree and lost power completely, water temp was showing 125 degrees and had a bad mis-fire so pulled over to find the coolant hose to the bulk head had come off and dumped all the coolant. so decided to stop and wait to be recovered.
Once back at service we replaced the hose and started her up but still mis-firing, changed the coil pack and spark plugs but still no difference :( checked the dash and now saying there was a injector fault which we didn't have any spare, so called it day.
Even tho it was only a short outing I thoroughly enjoyed and can't wait for the next one :)
jehe6agy.jpg

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
That's a great photo, shame you had problems and I did laugh that you got lost on stage.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Brilliant video.

I bet its soooooo much harder than it looks, and it does look difficult in the ice.

Well done though

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Great bit of driving in some crap conditions, good first event. Shame about the DNF, s**t happens though and hopefully it'll last better next time :)

Clio172cup rally car
Great bit of driving in some crap conditions, good first event. Shame about the DNF, s**t happens though and hopefully it'll last better next time :)

Ye I hope so too, was real shame it happened when it did was just getting into it too, only a month till the next rally down there :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Did you find out what the problem was with the engine , hopefully something simple

172 Cup
Good effort, really did look slippery, what tyres were you using? As said above a fantastic co driver really calm and gets all the calls spot on. Bad luck about the problems you had with the car.

Clio172cup rally car
Did you find out what the problem was with the engine , hopefully something simple

Ye turned out to be the injectors, thanks for lending me them spark plugs, really appreciate it. Need to get a spares package together now plugs,leads etc

Clio172cup rally car
Good effort, really did look slippery, what tyres were you using? As said above a fantastic co driver really calm and gets all the calls spot on. Bad luck about the problems you had with the car.

Cheers mate, I had kumho k12's cut to intermediates, which weren't up to much on the first stage but worked much better on the second! Only problem I've got with them is the clearance, I may go over to Pirelli as they have a smaller tyre wall. Then possibly tube the front arches when I get chance :)

Clio172cup rally car
Car’s looking well mate :) Do you run cup racer engine mounts? If not have you thought of a solution for tubbing the arch where the O/S engine mount goes? I need to tub mine as struggling with tyres rubbing and about to add a lot more caster

Hi James, ye running the cup racer mounts so won't be to difficult for me to tub the arch, I could imagine it will be quite difficult when using the standard mounts, didn't Kenny do something with the mounts when he tubbed the arches on his car?

Hi James, ye running the cup racer mounts so won't be to difficult for me to tub the arch, I could imagine it will be quite difficult when using the standard mounts, didn't Kenny do something with the mounts when he tubbed the arches on his car?

Yes I thought you were. Yes Kenny made all his own which does look ideal but I could never do that with my hamfisted skills lol

Do you think the cup racer engine mounts would fit a JC5 rather than the sadev? Sorry for all the questions ;)

Clio172cup rally car
Yes I thought you were. Yes Kenny made all his own which does look ideal but I could never do that with my hamfisted skills lol

Do you think the cup racer engine mounts would fit a JC5 rather than the sadev? Sorry for all the questions ;)

No worries James, that's what this forum is for :) I pretty sure that they will fit but the rear one needs a little persuasion to get on, I know the uk cup racer sequential uses the jc5 casing so I don't see why it wouldn't fit :) I'm sure Ian or someone with a cup racer with the stsda box could put some pics of the mounts to compare it?

Audi A6 & 172 Cup

Tubing the inner arches isn't a 5 minute job, if you've got access to a plasma cutter though it would make it a lot easier to chop out the big bracket for the engine mount, that was a tw*t to remove with a grinder and an airsaw.

I'm not sure if the cup racer mounts would fit, they aren't that easy to get hold of and usually fetch decent money, if you then had to modify them it would make more sense to fabricate something made from scratch.

I got a set of mounts with the ST75 but I'm also going to use the engine mount I put on the chassis leg to try and take some of the strain off the subframe.

Would you be interested in this? Just needs a bracket welded onto the subframe.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 331
  Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Pleased to hear it wasn't anything major wrong, still annoying though.
Looked like very tricky conditions, good luck with the next event.

Clio172cup rally car
Pleased to hear it wasn't anything major wrong, still annoying though.
Looked like very tricky conditions, good luck with the next event.

Cheers Kenny, yea was really slippery probably not the best of conditions for the first event lol hopefully it will be a little drier next time

Ye I'm quite glad it wasn't anything major, hopefully a new set of injectors and maybe a in-line external fuel filter will help them last a little longer :)

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Great vid pal, echo the other comments real shame you had to pull out. New box looks awesome!

Clio172cup rally car
Great vid pal, echo the other comments real shame you had to pull out. New box looks awesome!

Cheers mate, ye was a bit of a shame, really started to get in to it too, just need to get as much time in the seat now. Box was amazing, still need to have a fiddle with the shimming on the flat shift sensor as started to have a few issues with changing up on the second stage, but apart from that my utility room/kitchen rebuild seems to be ok lol