ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio rally car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Yes I had to have one made , they are different to yours , not even R Sport supply them anymore

Mines all back together and ready now

Clio172cup rally car
bit of an update, still haven't got the box fitted yet as I'm still waiting on the subframe, but I've just had some pics sent to me of the wishbones and there nearly finished!!!

ugahyqy9.jpg

y6azy3ut.jpg

I'm really impressed with how there coming along, much better than I expected, nick does some really good stuff down pure motorsport!!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Proper jealous!!
I did look into perhaps building my clio to basic msa logbook spec to go stage rallying again but just the basic equipment is out of my budget, so awkward now seats and belts have to be in date, cages are expensive, and now have to have window film, fuel sample thingy etc etc. I sold my 205 rally car when those rules came out as I had been using the same seats and belts in various cars for years and they were like part of me!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Very nice!
Interesting why they've got the rose joints horizontal? For some reason I thought these were intended to bolt into a standard subframe with some spacers.

Schma Schme 1.6l
caster adjustment is the big let down on clio's.

i didn't want to spend the money on the wishbones, so modified the subframe to allow the complete wishbone to move fore/aft giving plenty of caster adjustment.

good thing about those trick wishbones is they're strong and adjustable at same time. be interesting to see them in flesh and see how much they improve overal handling.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Did you go to Carmarthen showground today , if so do you know the guy with the red clio ex race car ?

clio 172 phase 2
I know the guy with that red clio ex cup race car his names lloyd hes not had it long . Payed 7k for it i recently bought some parts from him and he showed me it . Cool bit of kit

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Was that his first event in it , haven't seen it before , is it still on the race car gearing and suspension ?

clio 172 phase 2
First stage event yea mate he done a track day init the other day up anglesey

Yea its got the sadev box init jenvey throttle bodies basically everything a cup racer had . He bought it complete only thing he changed was the headlights as it didnt come with any.

I did tell him to sign up on here bt dont think he will

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
The cup racers don't have Jenveys , they have a bog standard engine like mine , thought it sounded louder than standard , I went to have a look but the bonnet was shut and no one near it , looks the same as mine but his steering wheel is on the wrong side lol
His gearing was wrong for today , seemed to go forever in first gear , I have changed the CW&P in mine and its made a huge difference to the acceleration

clio 172 phase 2
Didnt know about the jenveys bit mate he just told me thats how it came lol. It didnt come with a vin number or somthing either. I was guna attend today but had to work :( i could hear from house tho a good mile away lol . Did you get a spin today? I remember seeing your car last year .

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
No my car is in the body shop having a respray , I might do talbenny in 3 weeks , then pembrey at Christmas with my new engine

Clio172cup rally car
Did you go to Carmarthen showground today , if so do you know the guy with the red clio ex race car ?

Hi Ian, ye I went down there, I did see the clio, was setup completely wrong, I had a good look at it after it smashed the back end in and it was still on cup suspension, and it must of been a ex endurance car as it had a 100ltr tank inside the car, one thing I didn't understand was why they have put standard rear door cards back in?

I see what you mean by the wrong final drive in the box, I'm going to have the same problem, maybe try and get mine changed before Xmas stages

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
It was in one piece when I seen it , we left around midday though , was there much damage to it ?
Yeah I seen the tank inside , wondered why it was like that .

any idea what spec the engine is , it didn't seem that good considering it was on jenveys , hope mine better lol

Clio172cup rally car
He smashed the back end in because the suspension was so hard he was losing it on every 90right/left
Lost the back bumper, light and must of bent something on the back axel
I didn't see the engine, but I doubt it's on jenveys if it was needs to be looked at :)

Last edited:
  master,meg, 205 maxi
lotsof ex clio cup cars about we had one in 2006 converted to rhd too ian steve at swr sent a cwp kit for tarmac rallying and it transformed it we kept the front billies but put longer inserts and softer springs rears spax made a pair of coil overs to suit driver had it a year and never got on with fwd and sold it got smashed up a few year ago in jersey i think think we reg'd it on a g plate was cup car 005 i think?

mine is a 172 just finished cage ime to get seat rails in and try fit dash before i paint it

master,meg, 205 maxi
lotsof ex clio cup cars about we had one in 2006 converted to rhd too ian steve at swr sent a cwp kit for tarmac rallying and it transformed it we kept the front billies but put longer inserts and softer springs rears spax made a pair of coil overs to suit driver had it a year and never got on with fwd and sold it got smashed up a few year ago in jersey i think think we reg'd it on a g plate was cup car 005 i think?

mine is a 172 just finished cage ime to get seat rails in and try fit dash before i paint it
saw a pic of the old cup clio today I Lied it was on a P plate

Clio172cup rally car
Little bit of an update, all the wishbones from pms are now complete and are on route plus suspension is also done and on the way back from Germany :)
Hopefully have it back on all fours by next week to get the geo setup by nick,

the engine and box is in on the new subframe and selecting all the gears which is good,
de5ysasa.jpg

tesepypy.jpg

Also moved the handbrake forward, and flipped the lever round to make vertical
a9yhu7et.jpg

Unfortunately the car won't be ready for first round of the welsh tarmac championship on feb10th but will be ready epynt in march :)

Mini, Clio RallyCar
Good work, See you on Epynt, Will you be there ian-speedy?

Also curious as to why the joint on the wishbones are Horizontal..

Last edited:

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Good work, See you on Epynt, Will you be there ian-speedy?

Also curious as to why the joint on the wishbones are Horizontal..

Im thinking of doing Epynt instead of west cork as there is such a good entry it would be good to go up against them.
im trying to get the car ready for pembrey next Sunday , I'm also doing the wyedean rally on Saturday in my golf , as well as running a business I'm struggling to do it all at the moment !

Clio172cup rally car
New wishbones have finally arrived!!! They look amazing! Also the rebuilt suspension is here to, so hopefully been on the road very soon!!
zugusupy.jpg
uhuhuhy3.jpg

Nick has done a awesome job on these, really impressed with the attention to detail and craftsmanship that has gone into these, well worth the wait :)

Cup In bits
Nice bits. Is pure finalized the kit then going by all the bag's of bolts you have to fit it?

What kind of coating is that on the hubs and arms?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Which Kw's did you go for and are they custom spring rates ?

As said already the bottom arms look very trick!

Clio172cup rally car
Nice bits. Is pure finalized the kit then going by all the bag's of bolts you have to fit it?

What kind of coating is that on the hubs and arms?

Well this the first kit, going to be doing some testing hopefully next week, then see how is all goes from there I think

Clio172cup rally car
Which Kw's did you go for and are they custom spring rates ?

As said already the bottom arms look very trick!

they are the 2 way competition unit, and I've bought a few different springs rates to have a play around with the set up,

Nick did modify the strut bodies so we can now fit elliptical bolts for more camber adjustment