ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio rally car

Clio172cup rally car
hi been on here for a while now so thought its about time I start my own thread,
I started building this car 3 years ago but was on hold for a year when a needed quite a serious knee opp :(

Anyway my first plan was to build it to group n spec to compete in a new one make serious that was suppose to take over the 205cup but this series never took off :/

I first bought the car accident damaged of eBay for 1600quid which wasn't so bad at the time, with only a bent subframe and wishbone which wasn't to difficult to replace, but luckily enough I decided to place the car on jig when fitting the cage and found out the right suspension strut was nearly 2inches higher on one side, so not such a barging after all!!

Unfortunately this is the only picture I've got from when I first had the car,

5umujudu.jpg

this being my first builds this seemed such a daunting task looking at it there,

After much research and a lucky email to Renaultsport France I got access to there extranet for the clio gr.n car. With this we tried to get as many parts as we could from the group n car to keep it as best spec as possible,
A few calls to rsport and we managed to get the last of the parts they had for these cars, but no cages and body strengthening kits left so we went with the full weld in custom cages which is lovely cage, also seam welded the whole shell and replicated the strengthening plates as much possible,

7uve3udy.jpg

apabypaj.jpg

apyby3er.jpg

e7yra4y2.jpg

All sprayed up :)
ajava2yp.jpg

A few parts from rsport had arrived so we started to put the car back together
8a5epegu.jpg

u9azepeg.jpg

pady5u2e.jpg

y5u9y9yp.jpg

amudajy8.jpg

yhuzadeq.jpg

suspension, kw competion 2way adjustable :)
3ujy8yje.jpg

Modified to fit on standard hubs(which I will come to regret further on)
ave7y5y7.jpg

This also came with the cup racer top mounts and strut brace

9ynery6e.jpg

next step was to sort the gearbox, first we wanted to fit the sadev dogbox but at 5grand even for a second hand one! That was out of the question, luckily enough I managed to get the shafts and diff from this box at a really good price :)
atebe2az.jpg

yry5u6uj.jpg

also fitted with a 5.2 final drive that took the top end down to around 120 on 16's
u5epe6ys.jpg

we then had the car pretty much how we wanted it
a5aqahed.jpg

mu9u8yve.jpg

ta5uveja.jpg

we have now done 2 rally sprints down pembrey local to us,
Finishing 10th the first time out and 1st overall the second time :)

aqyby4e8.jpg

bavy5uhy.jpg

the plan now is to compete in the welsh Tarmac championship next year, so a few modification have started,
Firstly I've bought a sadev st75 sequential with shafts and lever for a cup racer which arrived last Thursday :)

bysadyny.jpg

Ye car is pretty much stripped back now, so ill updated the thread as much as possible,

Sorry for the lack of pictures both hopefully now I can keep on top of it and get some decent pics up when the box is in

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Nice project Andrew. Be nice to see how you get on retro fitting the st75.

Do you need the subframe to fit it and can you fit the cup racer mounts to a road 172 cup?

Also how did you profile the dash for the cage so good? trial and error lol

Last edited:
  Clio172cup rally car
Nice project Andrew. Be nice to see how you get on retro fitting the st75.

Do you need the subframe to fit it and can you fit the cup racer mounts to a road 172 cup?

Ye need the subframe which I've also purchased but its ina bad state, straight but need repainting, I've also got the mounts too,
I'm sending the subframe to pure Motorsport and having fully adjustable wishbones made as the shafts are 20mm wider each side, should look something like this but they are still in the development stage and I'm going to be the guinea pig

7e6yrasy.jpg

that why I'm a little gutted I had the suspension altered as I'm now going to be using the racer hubs :/

Cup In bits
Wishbones are p**n, I need to get my shafts lengthened as well.

Is that a clio or just a pic for reference, looks to have a custom subframe aswell.

Clio172cup rally car

Is that a clio or just a pic for reference, looks to have a custom subframe aswell.
the pic is pure motorsports own clio they are building for hill climbs, so mine should look just like them but tarted up a bit more.
Ye the subframe is standard just been modified to take the wishbones, I should be able to get a lot more castor with these, and a better range of adjustment

Cup In bits
Yeah they did make reference to their car when I had phoned about other things. Will be a nice spec cup racer.

I'll be on those wishbones like fleas to s**t when/if they come out.

Lotus Elise
Looks lovely and appears to be a real quality build! What ECU are you running?

What suspension did the Group N cars run?

Clio172cup rally car
Looks lovely and appears to be a real quality build! What ECU are you running?

What suspension did the Group N cars run?

I was running the standard ecu with just a generic group n map( higher rev limiter) but that will be going with the new box going in, was looking at using the ec1 with a full cup racer loom but I still need to talk to matt at Tdf and see what he thinks,

the suspension for group n was bilsteins the same as these,
uge7evub.jpg

These are just height adjustable and have 50mm diameter inserts very strong.

but I struggled to get rsport to get them for me so went for the kw after we decided to ditch the group n route.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
That's what we want , more rally cars !!

I assume you have read Ian speedys ? Thread as that does very well on a standard engine and the sadev box.
Is the kw the inox or competition spec ? Ian's runs Reiger and I think there was another a while back running 3 way Ast but changed to I think Reiger.
Looks good keep it updated !

Clio172cup rally car
That's what we want , more rally cars !!

I assume you have read Ian speedys ? Thread as that does very well on a standard engine and the sadev box.
Is the kw the inox or competition spec ? Ian's runs Reiger and I think there was another a while back running 3 way Ast but changed to I think Reiger.
Looks good keep it updated !

Ye I've been keeping a close eye on Ian's lol we will be racing against each other next year but with this engine he is building I don't think I will get any were close to him,

I did see about the reiger but the price has now gone up quite a bit from what I can remember, maybe next year ill look at updating the suspension but the kw should be good enough for now,

The kw is the competition spec but were originally for a cup racer so altered the mounting points for standard hubs, but now I'm regretting it a little as I need to use the cup racer hubs now for the bottom arms!

Clio172cup rally car

I'm sure someone told me that the scenic shafts fit when using cup racer suspension setup?

Cup In bits
Yeah Martijn said he used Scenic shafts on a mates car he converted to cup racer suspension. I got a scrapyard to measure some and there only a few mm longer if anything than my cup shafts so im hoping they might work if what Martijn says is right.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
What class do you run in ? I assume it has (had) a standard engine and box for group n ?

Clio172cup rally car
What class do you run in ? I assume it has (had) a standard engine and box for group n ?
Ye engine is pretty standard for now, as we were going to do group n3 but now we have changed the box we will be running in the top class in welsh Tarmac championship next year, 2000cc and above,

The plan is to get the box and bottom arms sorted this year and then look into the engine next year, around the 200bhp mark

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Why 2000 and above ? are you over boring it ?
Are there many in the group n class and what sort are the entry fees ? have you got any links etc I could have a look on ?
Ta

Clio172cup rally car
Why 2000 and above ? are you over boring it ?
Are there many in the group n class and what sort are the entry fees ? have you got any links etc I could have a look on ?
Ta

Well I think it's 2000cc and above I'm not to sure, ill have another look at the regs for the welsh Tarmac championship, it may be 1600 to 1999cc

Great to see you've finally got a project thread Andrew :) Look forward to seeing the progress and I didn't realise you had gone to town on it so much! Please let me know how you get on with the PMS kit I chatted to Nick about it the other month and sounds very good!

what you doing with the old box and shafts? for sale?
He sold it the other month :( It was a very good price too

Clio172cup rally car
Great to see you've finally got a project thread Andrew :) Look forward to seeing the progress and I didn't realise you had gone to town on it so much! Please let me know how you get on with the PMS kit I chatted to Nick about it the other month and sounds very good!

He sold it the other month :( It was a very good price too

Thanks :) it was a about time I got a thread going, I just wished I took some better photos as I was going along, seeing as the car is nearly stripped right back now for the new box I thought I could do it properly and get some decent photos :)

Clio172cup rally car
what you doing with the old box and shafts? for sale?

Ye I sold it a while back, not for as much as I would of like but I couldn't wait around, I needed to put a deposit down ob the sequential :( the guy who bought it has had a bargain the diff alone is nearly 3grand to buy as a replacement part let alone the shafts!

Clio172cup rally car
A little bit of an update, the subframe is now with pure Motorsport being strengthened and new wishbone mounting points be added, suspension has been stripped down and altered to take Laguna hubs,
Also they made me a sump guard out of 5mm ally which I think they will be making more of to sell!
Hopefully get it all back in 2 week and get this box fitted :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Hi Andrew
Are you going to Pembrey on sunday , I'm competing in my clio so come and say hi
Cheers Ian