ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 4 RS VS Fiesta ST EcoBoost

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Wow....... the Fiesta pulls and pulls and pulls, for a car that supposedly has the same 0-60 as the 182 it smoked me this morning, nice looking car too, much better than new Clio, new RS may look nicer but currently looks like an Astra, Leon and Guillieta all in one.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I cant remember the last time I actively wanted to go out & buy a brand new car, but I think the fiesta has hit the 'fun' nail on the head. Its like the spiritual successor to this old thing, my 1.6si I had from 18-21 .... cost f*ck all to run and just gave you what you need from a car, smiles.

God I miss those old things. My Brother's 3 door was immaculate.

Finally Chris has tested both cars. I am under the impression that he didn't expect much from the Clio but actually enjoyed it but in this Fiesta video, he sounds like he was probably expecting more. He acknowledges and appreciates power and that there is a manual gearbox but in his videos, he usually grins more. After all, he is probably the first British journalist that doesn't immediately like Fiesta more than a Clio - which is an accomplishment for the French car I guess.

ff cup ur 200
to be fair he is normally grinning ear to ear because he is going sideways in a gt3 RS or somthing equally fruity and would not expect him to be getting excited about a 180bhp hot hatch. check out the evo hot hatch review it seems honest and balanced.
Finally Chris has tested both cars. I am under the impression that he didn't expect much from the Clio but actually enjoyed it but in this Fiesta video, he sounds like he was probably expecting more. He acknowledges and appreciates power and that there is a manual gearbox but in his videos, he usually grins more. After all, he is probably the first British journalist that doesn't immediately like Fiesta more than a Clio - which is an accomplishment for the French car I guess.

Just watch his Clio video and his Fiesta video. The level of excitement is quite different IMO.

One thing is clear - Clio is a "hot hatch" without a manual gearbox while Fiesta is a "hot hatch" without the ESP off mode. Interesting times...

Titanium 182
Saw an ST on the road yesterday - it didn't have much road presence, I have to say. About as much as a Mk2 Clio.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
​Bad cam timing maybe?

Haven't watched the Harris on the ST video yet but wtf is this about no ESP off? Lol seriously.

it does sounds a bit tinny and flappy at times mind, but ALL things were changed on the 09/05 do they not adjust timing when they do the belts and de-phaser?

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Has anyone seen the write up in EVO? Hot hatch group test with RS Clio, Fiesta ST, Peugeot 208 GTi , Nissan Juke Nismo and Mini JCW in Wales. The Fiesta comes out on top overall with the Peugeot 2nd and Mini JCW 3rd and Clio last and also the heaviest of the five cars tested. The Clio has the best brakes and chassi but is let down by the flappy paddle gearbox. Nobody seems to like the way it operates or performs. Personally I hate automatics for anything other than city driving or long distance cruising. My wife on the other hand prefers automatics so maybe if I was looking for a new car next time I'd consider a Clio RS and keep my 172 for the days when I want a blast down a B road or some track action.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
it does sounds a bit tinny and flappy at times mind, but ALL things were changed on the 09/05 do they not adjust timing when they do the belts and de-phaser?

Not sure mate were the belts done at a reputable place? And yeah the timing gets done with the belts as far as I know. Who knows maybe you had a block of wood under the throttle peddle ;).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Well, the wait for the ST was killing me (still another 7 weeks to go minimum) so I've cancelled my order for the Spirit Blue one and have managed to jump the lengthy queue and secured one in this colour instead...

image_zps45e4ccb5.jpg

All going well I should have it next weekend :D

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can't believe you can't wait on the right colour! Mental! ;)

Fiesta ST
Well, the wait for the ST was killing me (still another 7 weeks to go minimum) so I've cancelled my order for the Spirit Blue one and have managed to jump the lengthy queue and secured one in this colour instead...

Nice, looks really good,

im also getting a little impatient but I think I'm going to hold out for my order. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, looks really good,

im also getting a little impatient but I think I'm going to hold out for my order. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it

I was very lucky, had been badgering the salesman to find me an unregistered and unallocated one and he found a dealer demonstrator car in Dagenham that he managed to blag for me.

Then the customer's car you see above is delivered to the dealership and they notice the side skirt paint issue (they're flat red instead of pearlescent orange).

If I'd not got in first, the model now assigned to me would have gone to the chap with the now mismatched bodywork.

image_zps45e4ccb5.jpg

best colour take me for spin :D

PH2 RS172
performance marks aside... good lord that is one ugly looking car. the front grille looks like someone took a loan out ontop of their finance and bought an aston front bumper and a grinder.... not for me... the new clio rs although lukewarm as opposed to 'hot' is a much better looking car..

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Or there's the 208 GTi which looks better than both of them... still not saying it looks amazing though! As least the Fiesta has some lovely colours (the blue and orange) very bored of Liquid Yellow now tbh. Where's Storm Grey and Alien Green!?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My 172 Cup, Ignis Sport, 200, pretty much every car I've ever driven, all of them took a few miles at a minimum to work out what's what with the controls, how they felt, how it reacted.

I've only managed 70 miles so far in the ST, I've spent the last 3hrs cleaning it of all its transit dust and build stickers etc, but right from the off, as I drove it out of the showroom, it just felt right.

Molten orange paint is stunning, piped in induction noise is hilarious, not being able to voice control my ipod because it's got too many songs on it is annoying, 49.2 mpg so far.

Well done Ford.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
My 172 Cup, Ignis Sport, 200, pretty much every car I've ever driven, all of them took a few miles at a minimum to work out what's what with the controls, how they felt, how it reacted.

I've only managed 70 miles so far in the ST, I've spent the last 3hrs cleaning it of all its transit dust and build stickers etc, but right from the off, as I drove it out of the showroom, it just felt right.

Molten orange paint is stunning, piped in induction noise is hilarious, not being able to voice control my ipod because it's got too many songs on it is annoying, 49.2 mpg so far.

Well done Ford.

​the induction noise gets better as you bed it in ;)

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250

Well done Ford.

49.2? Wow. I only managed 33 from the demo car driving reasonably sedately driving home of Friday and back to work Saturday.
​Which garage did you buy it from?

320d
Such an epic car. Shame I can't afford one at the minute. That pcp deal is good, shame its only 6k p/a. I do more like 20.