ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 4 RS VS Fiesta ST EcoBoost

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Such an epic car. Shame I can't afford one at the minute. That pcp deal is good, shame its only 6k p/a. I do more like 20.
Mileage bandings can be 6,9,12,18 etc. The higher the miles, the lower the GMFV, the higher the monthly payment.
Itis possible but you may be better doing 48 months Acquire instead due to the lower GMFV with such a high mileage.

Drove the Fiesta today after driving the Clio on Sunday. I can't see any 'petrolhead' reasons to go for the Clio over it, it was so much more fun, engaging and sounded much better. Notchy manual gearbox, hugging leather seats, 3 doors and the blue and orange paint is SO nice!

The prices compared for top spec as well, all bits on both.

Fiesta ST2 with style pack and orange paint - £17,869 OTR
Clio 200T with LY paint - £21,945 OTR

Found it funny that Ford would give me £1k more than Renault for my car as well!

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
I had a test drive in the clio today and found it a bit dull to drive if I'm honest. Didn't like the interior at all, I couldn't get over that huge plastic surround on the centre console, it looked cheap as. I have all intentions of purchasing the ST which I am test driving tomorrow, how long can I expect to wait?

for the clio I was told november!

Sadly, if as I suspect will be the case, the 4 RS flops in the UK, then we may well not see them again here. I really can't see them continuing to produce UKDM cars if we aren't buying them. I'm no expert, but I do work in the industry, and I fear a decline for Renaultsport. They have massively f**ked up the launch of this car. And it appears they are now having serious production issues. The future isn't bright as Ford continues to sell Fiesta hand over fist.

I do realise that the UK is a big market for this brand, but big doesn't mean big if it's three cars vs. two. One only has to look at the reaction on this forum to see that there's a danger of Renaultsport following Peugeot into the depths of hot hatch mediocrity. Of course the car will improve a lot, but is it too late for anyone to care?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
As with the above I think there main strong point for the survival of Renault sport in the country is there history, people know they can do great things, maybe it's just a matter of time before they do again. That's just my opinion anyway, I actually know f**k all about car sales.

I believe I saw/sat in Markcups? ST today at Surrey rolling road. They really look so much nicer in the flesh.
The seats are fantastic lovely and comfy but very supportive.

Was good to have a chat put another face to a name :) I'll leave it til you update your thread but you cant complain with what you recorded
That grey turbo'd mk1 1.8 was mental 317bhp I think.

RB 182 195bhp
I completely agree, renaultsport have really dropped the ball on this one. The fiesta st is just a much better car. Although I wouldn't buy a new car, I think the fiesta is probably the best hot hatch on sale ATM. Fair play to the people that have bought them. I'd imagine they put out about 200bhp at the fly due to the 20 second over boost?

Renault are proper muppets.

Completely fucked this 200 launch up.

I bet it wasn't even ready for launch and they knew it.

Just wanted to get in the market when they saw the ST was being released.

Its mostly all unjustified hate towards the Clio....even Chris Harris says that at as a road car its better than the ST and judging by many videosit looks to handle at least as well as the fiesta! As for 5 doors....well thats just handy and paddleshifters are awesome!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Its mostly all unjustified hate towards the Clio....even Chris Harris says that at as a road car its better than the ST and judging by many videosit looks to handle at least as well as the fiesta! As for 5 doors....well thats just handy and paddleshifters are awesome!

Can't agree more. On Top Gear standard vs standard is set the quicker lap time too.

If I was on the lookout for a daily hot hatch it would be the Clio. I've driven both and the Clio is the better road car. The Fiesta is an 'end of the line' chassis whereas the Clio is not meaning potential future versions of the Clio could be better.

On track the Clio has a lot of potential because the gearbox is very intuitive and fast at gear changes both up and down, it doesn't detract from the experience imo. However they both need a diff and one isn't available for the Clio yet (if there ever will be one). The limits of the standard engine are unknown whereas the Fiesta is being run at 370bhp by Sitech Racing.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
A lap time comparison from a standing start, one car with launch control and one car without, means jack s**t.

As for the 'box, that's the car's nemesis IMO. It goes and feels and sounds like a Renaultsport Clio should, but you have a lethargic, and ultimately severely limiting, 'box that traditional RS Clio buyers just do not want.

It's a great car, I want one, but not until they give it a manual shifter.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
People are just angry that Renault decided to do a more grown up car. There are plenty of those on the market to choose from already. The fiesta is closer to the Mk3 200 and so there is more love for it. Peugeot has taken a long time to get past the 205 for no good reason (the following GTI's were not as bad as people make out). The 206 gti was faster in gear and in a sprint than the 205 when tested. Renault may have to suffer the same for a while after making a run of cars where old skool thrills were mixed with modern competency but with the old skool aspect being more important. people that liked that will be disappointed by another VW GTI clone. Great car The MK4 200 but it alienated a group of buyers that have now jumped ship to Ford. The Peugeot is no threat as it seems to be aimed more at mini owners.

If Renault do a hardcore no frills version down the line then I'm sure things will change. I just wish manufacturers would stop trying to put aspects of VW GTI's in their own hatches. If I wanted a shitty golf I'd buy one. I don't care about fit and finish, interior design or diesel low end torque. Where's the stalks and horn and off I go.

At least VW have the good sense to still offer a manual box.

Chris Harris's video of driving a 2CV explains why everyone doesn't just buy a GTI.

Last edited:

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
200 > 200T
F-ST > 200T
Juke Nismo 2wd > 200T
208GTI > 200T

The looks have grown on me personally (but not enough to seriously consider). It's the gearbox I just still cannot agree to. Even the DSG version of mine is still not quite ticking the boxes.

Manual all the way.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Me. And anyone who says the box is slow is wrong. Bang it in race and use the paddles, quicker than any manual box by far and it doesn't detract from the driving experience imo. Then if you want to chill out and cruise just leave it in sport.

I'd have bought one but its not raw enough. None of the modern stuff is. I find even the Mk3 200 is too grown up for my liking but then again I have the luxury of having a 'toy' car. The 1*2 are the end of the line of proper hot hatches.

LY 200 EDC LUX
The Clio is s**t because it's got an auto box and the front end is s**t to look at.

It also looks identical to a 1.2 Clio.

I switched to Ford and so have alot of others for this reason.

no offence, but your posts stink of someone who is ignorantly bashing the MK4 for the sake of it.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Interesting, Tom.

I said it at launch and i'll say it again - too many people don't want to like it rather than adapting to the innevitable change.

Theres an LY for sale up here at 15k:hearteyes:

LY 200 EDC LUX
Whose all driven the 200 edc?

i own one. Far too many know-it-alls on here! The box is a great thing imo. How anyone can say it doesnt change quick enough is beyond me. I would challenge anyone to manually change quicker than when the box is in 'Race' mode. Again, probably folk that havent even driven it commenting!!

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Yeah - I have driven one. I'm simply not ready for an auto.

So in my eyes any capable manual trumps it.

LY 200 EDC LUX
@peedee how have you found consumables on it mate? Any reliability issues?

I gather they're pretty good on petrol?

As of yet nothing to report mate, its been faultless, but ive only owned it for 4 weeks and it only gets driven at weekends. I honestly cannot recommend it enough. For me personally (im 32), it ticks all the right boxes!

Fuel consumption is pretty good ive found. Average of 38mpg which is mostly driving around town like a granny with the odd trip to asda 7 miles away. On a long run 40+mpg would be well achieveable i think.

Last edited:
no offence, but your posts stink of someone who is ignorantly bashing the MK4 for the sake of it.

Not really. I have had 5 or 6 RenaultSport Clios.

I was in the market for a new car, and I chose the Fiesta. As I have said, I don't want an auto and I don't like the front or how it looks nearly identical to a 1.2.

Those are my reasons for not buying one. Given the ammount of STs on here (I started the thread) alot of people feel the same. There are ten times more STs on here than new 200Ts. That's on a Clio forum....

Its all about cash at the end of the day.
Most buyers of these cars are going to be 21-35 and a saving is a saving in their eyes. I also live in Essex which explains why I see so many ST's.

I just dont "get" the hate. Most people go on about how they drove a supercar at an experience day and that they loved the paddleshifters etc etc and then when a humble Clio gets them suddenly its "I hate cos pistonheads forum says I should"

Track times etc I think all the 3 main rivals were well within a second of each other and to me a second is well within the realms of driver error/driver geling more with a car/conditions etc etc
So I wouldnt pick a car based off a laptime.

Personally I've never driven either the pug, clio or ford but after watching and reading countless reviews on them I would probably pick the Peugeot or the Clio because im almost 31 and would value practicality and comfort more than I did when I was 21 and as I live in Southend all I see is blue Fiesta ST's all day long and it bores me now lol

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Most buyers of these cars are going to be 21-35 and a saving is a saving in their eyes. I also live in Essex which explains why I see so many ST's.

I just dont "get" the hate. Most people go on about how they drove a supercar at an experience day and that they loved the paddleshifters etc etc and then when a humble Clio gets them suddenly its "I hate cos pistonheads forum says I should"

Track times etc I think all the 3 main rivals were well within a second of each other and to me a second is well within the realms of driver error/driver geling more with a car/conditions etc etc

Personally I've never driven either the pug, clio or ford but after watching and reading countless reviews on them I would probably pick the Peugeot or the Clio because im almost 31 and would value practicality and comfort more than I did when I was 21 and as I live in Southend all I see is blue Fiesta ST's all day long and it bores me now lol

Excuse the weak MS Paint skills...
stsheep.gif

LY 200 EDC LUX

Couldent agree more. I can understand if an Auto box isn't your thing, that is fine. But there's a difference between it 'not being your thing' and calling it sh*t because your being ignorant. As you've already said, everyone thinks its great in a GTR, but in a clio its suddenly rubbish for no apparent reason. Stating poor shift times is quite frankly rubbish as its borderline instant in race mode, far quicker than any manual box / driver can change. Doesn't make sense.

Also, my LY looks pretty different to a boggo 1.2 (although even the lower model mk4 is a great looking car IMO) which is more than I can say for the difference between a zetec S and an ST to the untrained eye. As said, I know the ST is a great car (notice I am not completely biased), but it just wasnt for me, namely because I wanted a nice ride relaxed ride around town, ALL the toys and something that every man and his dog didnt have.

As said i'd have one...to.me the auto box sounds awesome even if I did read somewhere that its bang in the limit of its torque capacity.

That said im not in a position to buy a new car thats only marginally better performance wise than my 172 bought for an astonishing £1700!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Who ever said flappy paddles are good in any car, thought most people moaned about them?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Lol at the Clio bummers. Dry your eyes for f**k sake.

"Oh no, someone has dissed a Clio! Quick! To the keyboard...."

The Clio is a massive flop because nobody wants a 5 door automatic hot hatch that looks no different from 3 of it's 4 angles, to a 1.2.
Argue all you want but you'll just look like a dick head.

Look at the figures... Fiesta ST is a 3 door and manual, they sold fcuking thousands of the things.

Clio is a 5 door automatic and they have sold barely a handful.

The facts can't lie.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Flol!

I'd have one, but for me it needs to be a manual. As my car is basically a toy anyway, driving an auto doesn't do it for me. Looks wise I think with a few choice mods they could look great. And by that I mean slight drop, bit of stance with a lower offset. Done. Shame there's no Recaros either, here's hoping the phase 2 might adress it

Lol at the Clio bummers. Dry your eyes for f**k sake.

"Oh no, someone has dissed a Clio! Quick! To the keyboard...."

The Clio is a massive flop because nobody wants a 5 door automatic hot hatch that looks no different from 3 of it's 4 angles, to a 1.2.
Argue all you want but you'll just look like a dick head.

Look at the figures... Fiesta ST is a 3 door and manual, they sold fcuking thousands of the things.

Clio is a 5 door automatic and they have sold barely a handful.

The facts can't lie.

Carefull Dan, with those opionions your in danger of being labelled a 'bell end'.