ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 4 RS VS Fiesta ST EcoBoost

I've drove about a handful of fiesta St's at work there good cars but if I'm honest when I drove a golf with dsg (not drive the clio edc yet) I loved the auto I'm a bit lazy and I preferred it for when id have to drive far. It's really down to opinion I like the paddles etc everything will go auto eventually due to emmision control and mpg it will just happen fords always hang on for cost

LY 200 EDC LUX
I have no problem with people bashing the clio whatsoever, but have a reason behind your bashing. You can't say "yeah, the clio has a s**t gearbox", then not provide a reason to justify it......unless your jumping on a bandwagon that is.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have no problem with people bashing the clio whatsoever, but have a reason behind your bashing. You can't say "yeah, the clio has a s**t gearbox", then not provide a reason to justify it......unless your jumping on a bandwagon that is.
I don't like automatics. What other reason do I need??

LY 200 EDC LUX
I don't like automatics. What other reason do I need??

You haven't bashed it, you've just said you don't like auto's, which is fine (which is what I said). If you'd have said "I think the auto box on it is s**t", then give a reason 'why' you think its s**t.

Clio 182 Cup
^^ I could change gear myself quicker/as quick as that!! :hushed:

Surely it should be near instant feeling? I could understand if that was for a more "relaxed" driving mode, but that just seems like there's a fault.

I'm not personally sold on the new Clio as to me, it's just a base to grow nothing more. I would have liked to have seen a three door the default option and 5 door available, LSD, Brembos, more power, angrier styling and Recaro seats personally, maybe it's coming who knows but it does need a much needed beefing up over the rest of the range.

The ST good car and playful, however it's appeal it lost on me and the problem lies in the fact, my dad has one, so does my uncle along with half of Essex, for me I'd feel sheepish. My gripes are exhaust note isn't too desirable even with a turbo back, needs slightly better brakes (easily solved mind), after experiencing a Mountune car, the standard version is lacking a little out of the box, rear bumper, however "if" the RS version ever comes I'd expect it to be revised. That aside it does everything a hot hatch should do.

Ultimately, both are great cars :)

I think part of the problem is that enthusiasts want more but Renault think that ultimately they don't really buy many cars.

Take the previous 200 for example...
FANTASTIC FANTASTIC CAR
but how many did they sell? I see an awful lot less of them than I see Corsa VXR's etc and herein lies the problem.

To sell more cars they have to appeal to a wider audience but at the same time Renault have alienated its hardcore fans which less face it are basically the only people that will buy a Renaultsport Clio. We may know different but most normal people will see a Clio 200 as a french piss of shite with a weird thing on the bumper, some odd colours and a weird frog face. They don't care or even know what they are capable of.

Personally I think all hot hatches have come such a long way especially for enthiusiasts. I almost blame cars like the Megane F1, Focus RS, Corsa VXR and the Clio 197 for killing off the modifying scene in recent years as these cars came with what people wanted out of the box (quaife, recaro, speedline, spoilers etc).

Seems like the latest Clio has gone the other way but time will tell whether its worked or not.

Judging by how many I've seen on the road....which is none by the way I would say the failed.

Lol at the Clio bummers. Dry your eyes for f**k sake.

"Oh no, someone has dissed a Clio! Quick! To the keyboard...."

The Clio is a massive flop because nobody wants a 5 door automatic hot hatch that looks no different from 3 of it's 4 angles, to a 1.2.
Argue all you want but you'll just look like a dick head.

Look at the figures... Fiesta ST is a 3 door and manual, they sold fcuking thousands of the things.

Clio is a 5 door automatic and they have sold barely a handful.

The facts can't lie.

Headshot.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
A less grown up version with a boost in power and an inevitable gearbox software upgrade and people will come around to the Clio. I don't think it looks that bad.

Peugeot 308
I've not even sat in a new 200, let alone driven one.. My local dealer didn't have one.
I chose the Fiesta on the basis that It was cheap and well received. Do I care that there's thousands on the road? Not really.

If the Clio was as cheap as the Fiesta, I may have looked into it... 5 doors doesn't bother me (more practical for me tbh), Flappy paddles wouldn't be a deal breaker either... BUT the Gearchange would have to be snappy/quick for me to approve.

I've heard/seen little of the 200EDC bar it getting slated and the price's floating around compared to the Fiesta are litter aswell.

Renault fucked it this time round.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
According to an Evo reviewer the DSG in my old TT/R32 etc was better than that box in the Clio. Make of that what you you will.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
According to an Evo reviewer the DSG in my old TT/R32 etc was better than that box in the Clio. Make of that what you you will.

Dan Prosser though rated the Golf R 8th in eCoty with almost everyone else 4th or better. I would say there is a lot of personal opinion from the Journo getting thrown about at evo Towers.

Clio 200T
I agree. Clio front end is s**t, but the fiesta back end is s**t also.

Fiesta front and Clio rear would be ace.

Agree completely, Renault hit the nail on the head when they designed the back but ruined the front end and the front ride hight! Always looks like it driving up a hill...

Have they sorted this delay out? i.e. the time between pressing paddle and gearchange actually happening?
[video]

And it's in sport mode. Put it into race and its far quicker.

Silly video, in eco or sport the changes aren't that quick but in race it is.. If it was in race and still the same as in the vid i'd understand.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You can't make that excuse ffs! Any R32 I drove never had to be in sport or race mode to change gear properly! What a s**t excuse!

Clio 200T
You can't make that excuse ffs! Any R32 I drove never had to be in sport or race mode to change gear properly! What a s**t excuse!

Not trying to make excuses I'd rather have a manual if I'm honest but all I'm pointing out is that the way it was designed is so the change speeds up with the different modes. I have no idea how fast it is or anything, tbh couldn't really care.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I think that people forget that even a good syncromesh is really only good for half a second change times if you want any life out of the gearbox.