ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW E30 325i Project

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
f**k me, that new roof looks awesome. I love the progress.

It's not just gliptone you want mate, there's a company that do full dying kits, you basically paint the s**t on. Someone on the zed forum did it to some //M seats and the results were AMAZING.

I'll find you a link. It looks so easy even a spanner monkey like you couldn't **** it up.

P.s we need to meet up for pics soon

P.p.s you need to get those wheels acid dipped, sand blasted and powder coated.

330i. E30 Touring.
f**k me, that new roof looks awesome. I love the progress.

It's not just gliptone you want mate, there's a company that do full dying kits, you basically paint the s**t on. Someone on the zed forum did it to some //M seats and the results were AMAZING.

I'll find you a link. It looks so easy even a spanner monkey like you couldn't **** it up.

P.s we need to meet up for pics soon

P.p.s you need to get those wheels acid dipped, sand blasted and powder coated.

Cheers mate- proper chuffed with the roof.

Definitely! Would definitely be interesting to see the differences in size as the cars get newer. Now it's road legal, it wouldn't be a problem at all to sort out!

Wheels getting done is on the list also- They're a bit grubby at the minute, but to be perfect could do with being painted.

That leather work is incredible! I hate interiors though- it's easy to f**k up. I've got a bolster ready to fit to the drivers seat now, so it should then be ready for dye. There's a few people about selling dye kits- some of the results are amazing.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Why not go for the furniture clinic one? price seems superb and he's still happy with it after quite some time doing the work!

Great news on the bolster, mental how the seats just come apart like that.

330i. E30 Touring.
Why not go for the furniture clinic one? price seems superb and he's still happy with it after quite some time doing the work!

Great news on the bolster, mental how the seats just come apart like that.

I've not decided which kit I'll be using yet- there seems to be a few different options so it's no issue either way.

Yeah. It's great- every part of the seat detaches and can be replaced independently. It's a bit of a tricky job in making it look factory it after, because you have to break off some hog pins to get the bolsters off ad replace with cable ties, but it looks 95% as good and obviously makes the seat look so much better without wear/rips/holes!

Might have a go at that tomorrow, thinking about it.

330i. E30 Touring.
So had another productive day, even though the weather's a pile of shite!

Have set about tidying the seats up a bit more- namely taking the rails off, and giving them a fresh coat of paint. Also swapping over the bolster with the rip in on the drivers one.

So drivers seat started looking like this:

e2ejyhum.jpg

All split into bits:

uty6epy9.jpg

The end result:

y4a5uzeb.jpg

While the rails were all off the seats, I took the chance to clean them up and give them a couple of coats of paint,

As they were at 24 years old:

9umyvy5y.jpg

They're currently hanging up to dry after the first coat but looking a million times better:

9yna7y6u.jpg

Another coat to follow, and then they can all go back together!

Massive thanks to Nick for helping out today. It's a fiddly job whipping these all apart- a second set of hands is a godsend!

These pictures just don't do the car any justice. When I first heard about Mike getting this car I just wasn't interested in it being a BMW convertible, as they do nothing for me. However, having taken it for a little spin and helping out along the way. I love this car. Can tell so much stuff on my E36 M3 came from the E30's.

Massive transformation since when the car first turned up, roof and interior make it look a million times better. I can't wait to give it thorough clean.

Nick

330i. E30 Touring.
So yeah. :(

ge8yvy4a.jpg

Called the recovery truck and dragged it home.

ahudabyj.jpg

The culprit:

u5epaba9.jpg

One of the aux belts jumped off, so I refitted it, but it'd rubbed on a pulley and was less than half it's original width, so didn't last too long. Meant no water pump or alternator.

Luckily, a replacement belt is less than £6 and will take about fifteen minutes to fit.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I like that you're not going all fail sport on it and you're repainting seat rails etc, good work.

Can't wait to see that leather treated. You should wet vac all the carpets etc whilst it's out, try to get it looking like new.

330i. E30 Touring.
I like that you're not going all fail sport on it and you're repainting seat rails etc, good work.

Can't wait to see that leather treated. You should wet vac all the carpets etc whilst it's out, try to get it looking like new.

I'm doing this one properly. The shakedown has come good today- I'm basically seeing exactly what's likely to fail/testing everything over the last couple of weeks. An aux belt failure is nothing tbh!

Renault clio 2005
Love the stereo change :) Car is Amazing In My opinion it would look better without the side skirts and lowered a bit. But respect for having a beautiful car :)

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Nice driveway there Mike, and the more I see that Mon-ark-o the more I like it.

Now it's time to dig out your old cassettes and roll with the top down, summer's here!

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
I'll bring Mark Knophler, Dire Straits, Meat Loaf and some Tina Turner cassettes that are at home to LM..

330i. E30 Touring.
Good work. Both chariots are looking great.

Where did you find the original head unit? Liking that you've returned it OEM!

eBay- £22!

It's not an E30 head unit, because they weren't supplied with any but it's a very early E36 one. As close as it gets to being original.

Cheers Tim! After buying the 172, I'm seriously considering taking that to LM tbh! It's such a great all rounder and we could use a way of transporting the fridge and the BBQ.

Dom- LOL! Get it all on the iPod mate. I've bought a tape aux on a wire thing! I've already stocked up on the Duran Duran.

330i. E30 Touring.
Well, nothing really to update!

I've been to Le Mans and been crazy busy working on Clio's. haven't spent more than half hour on the E30 for a while.

Good news is that it started first turn of the key after being abandoned for a month.

Rev counter has stopped working though randomly!

Also. Had brief contact with the old owner earlier this week. He was very interested to see it's current state and wants first refusal when I consider it saleable. :)

For the lowering/Pikey contingent:

azuqeqyd.jpg

A current day, heavily balding but still ginger round the sides Steve McQueen says hai. Xx