ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best coilovers for a 172 cup, £500 ish budget?

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
I'm no stranger to coilovers and suspension, but would like to know people's opinions on there set ups and longevity.

I have a 172 cup 53 plate and il be doing a complete suspension refresh with bushes, arb bushes, ball joints etc etc....

Possible solid top mounts depending on the suspension set up.

I have eibach springs on cup dampers or what should be cup dampers but il be doing more track days and fast road use than anything as I have another car my a8 for daily use.

Where do I get a decent set up from and is there a recommended seller on here?

I'm on a budget as I don't want to get carried away but I don't want to settle for bad quality.

Any help guys?

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
B14's are ace. Or the cup dampers on h&r springs?

@bloke

Yeah well I have eibach springs and cup dampers now but I feel it roll about when going for it.

Plus I have the facility's to get corner weighted and that so coilovers would be the way to go.

The site for the Billy's looks beyond difficult to navigate in another language lol.

Is there differences between cup and non cup 172s?
I've seen a few top mount sizes I think for cup and non cup models?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've not ordered from there mate, others have and as far as I'm aware it's fine. Anyway you can google translate the web page.

If you have access to corner weighting and do want to get into tracjdays the coilovers it is. My only advice is don't buy cheap s**t ones. Even if you have to weight a month do that.

On the cd front though I see someone has made a reasonable ish offer. And after the advice above I'd be inclined to accept ;).

SQ5
What will you be using the car for, do you need coilovers?

Standard cup setup, cooksport springs, new top mounts and rubbers, ball joints and track rod ends should be around the £500 and will be far superior than any coilovers.

Yeah well I have eibach springs and cup dampers now but I feel it roll about when going for it.

Plus I have the facility's to get corner weighted and that so coilovers would be the way to go.

The site for the Billy's looks beyond difficult to navigate in another language lol.

Is there differences between cup and non cup 172s?
I've seen a few top mount sizes I think for cup and non cup models?

There's an English tab at the top for ordering, pretty simple, I almost did before a cheap set of ASTs appeared on here
I have full set of cup dampers, Pms top mounts, front spring cups, bump stops and cooksport springs, all are 6 track days old if interested?!

Fiesta ST
I have full set of cup dampers, Pms top mounts, front spring cups, bump stops and cooksport springs, all are 6 track days old if interested?!

I'd be interested in those without the top mounts mate.
I want to remove my Gaz coilovers which could interest the OP?

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
I've not ordered from there mate, others have and as far as I'm aware it's fine. Anyway you can google translate the web page.

If you have access to corner weighting and do want to get into tracjdays the coilovers it is. My only advice is don't buy cheap s**t ones. Even if you have to weight a month do that.

On the cd front though I see someone has made a reasonable ish offer. And after the advice above I'd be inclined to accept :wink:.

Yeah mainly track days and fast road use as its my second car so can be harsh if need be.

I want to corner weight it so it needs to be coilovers, I've got the cup setup and springs already and I'm not feeling them, probably age related but they hold there own and it's still pretty crisp but just feel it could be better.

Send me a message you can have the headunit lol.

Clio 182
B14's FTW i love mine
Massive improvement over my old V-Maxx

Another vote for B14s here. I love them. Comfy fast road setup. Work really well and the lack of ability to 'fiddle' is a bonus for me as I would obsess about whether my car was setup optimally whenever I drove otherwise.

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
I was looking at the space rsx kit......

Can get them for a good price from demon tweeks through work.

Any thoughts on them?

53 Clio's & counting
I did have some KW V2 coilovers on a Ph1 Exclusive I had years ago and being honest it was really comfortable - stiffer than standard but if kept at a sensible setting they were comfortable and improved handling. But then again they were £1100 so you would expect it lol

Ph1 track slag
Don't believe everything you read. bad reviews, no matter how bias are usuallt the only thing that people right up about, you can find bad reviews for anything, even Renaulsport clios!
They are a quality set up and have improved a lot in last few years.

Can't knock mine.

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
Don't believe everything you read. bad reviews, no matter how bias are usuallt the only thing that people right up about, you can find bad reviews for anything, even Renaulsport clios!
They are a quality set up and have improved a lot in last few years.

My best mate had them on his vtec mini and changed them immediately said they was horrid, I just searched gaz coilovers and only found bad reviews so might get the Billy's or spax rsx depending on price.

My next question is who is the best person to use for all of my other replacement parts, I always change my bolts and nuts when replacing suspension so would like to get fresh everything and ball joints, drop links etc etc.

What and who would you change/recommend?

Il be getting arb bushes and wishbone bushes also.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
  182cup & 172 racecar
£500!!

You'd be better getting a brand new set of standard shocks tbh. You would be surprised at how much that would improve things.
We have guys race with us in the production cup, and they are not allowed coilovers.

Audi A8 3.0tdi/172.
F
£500!!

You'd be better getting a brand new set of standard shocks tbh. You would be surprised at how much that would improve things.
We have guys race with us in the production cup, and they are not allowed coilovers.

Yeah I've got that suspension already but want to improve on it and like iv said I want to go lower and corner weight it.

Billy's it is.